• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

A few good'uns from school although mostly before my time: Griff Rhys Jones, Stewart Robson (as you'll know, once caretaker manager at Southend), Douglas Adams (of Hitchhiker fame), Keith Allen (Lily's dad), Sir Robin Day and the soon to be retiring from International football, Frank Lampard - he's 5 years younger than me which is a shame otherwise we might have played in the same school team!

oh... and Noel Edmonds!!

Uni-wise, umm... Tony Blair and Maggie Thatcher - two dyed-in-the-wool Tories although only one really admitted it.

Didn't Frank Lampard and Neil Harris play in the same school team? If that is true, he must have been at your school too.

Apparently Chris Packham (Springwatch) and Jeremy Hardy (radio 4 left wing posh boy - aren't they all) were at my Uni at same time as me.

Alan Hull who was briefly on Southend's books, as was his brother Jeff, and went on to the dizzy heights of managing Great Wakering Rovers was in my year at Junior school.

My real claim to links to fame is that OBL's time at WHSG overlapped with my time at WHSB but our paths never crossed.

I went to school with Scott Daniels who went to play for Colchester.

Thats about it...

Was his nickname anything to do with his predilection for plagiarism?

Is that so? I don't read much tennis stuff so I didn't know that.... No it was simply a variation on his first name usually associated with a well-known fictional elephant.

Harman will be lucky to work again, and too right. He initially tried to brush it off as a few minor cases, but it all appears to have unraveled for him as more and more cases have emerged.

Will Sharman (GB 110m hurdler) was in my class at uni. He's a smart guy and really nice.

Harman will be lucky to work again, and too right. He initially tried to brush it off as a few minor cases, but it all appears to have unraveled for him as more and more cases have emerged.

Must admit, my view on what may or may not happen to Harman is based mainly on what a colleague - who also does Saturday shifts at The Times - has said. Reckons the sports ed is quite a forgiving guy - even if what Harman did is utterly shocking.

A few good'uns from school although mostly before my time: Griff Rhys Jones, Stewart Robson (as you'll know, once caretaker manager at Southend), Douglas Adams (of Hitchhiker fame), Keith Allen (Lily's dad), Sir Robin Day and the soon to be retiring from International football, Frank Lampard - he's 5 years younger than me which is a shame otherwise we might have played in the same school team!

oh... and Noel Edmonds!!

Uni-wise, umm... Tony Blair and Maggie Thatcher - two dyed-in-the-wool Tories although only one really admitted it.

Brentwood School?

Ok, I found a few

Allison Childs, Olympic diver
Fiona Coull, who represented FB in diving in something a few years after we left (she was actually in my year)

and one local famous lady, Beryl Platt, former Mayor and Baroness of Writtle.

Adam Barrett footballer ,Steven Cottrell Bishop of Chelmsford ,Bob Fish lead singer of Darts ,Bryn Vale Olympic gold medel for sailing ,Ian Leask ,former page 3 pin up Tina Simmonds and the legendry Teresa Brooks all went to Belfairs .

Just thought of another one, Vanessa Kerry (John Kerry's daughter) did my Masters at LSE, she was in the year above I think. Quite a big deal at the time.

Back