• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Right, I think we all know that the financial constraints we've had to suffer (many of them self-inflicted) have ended up causing our dismal relegation but I just felt it might be quite good to discuss the football side of why things have ended in disaster this year.

For me, I'd say in the main, it's been our shaky & leaky defence, often conceding goals late in games (or injury time of 1st half). I'm unsure though, as to what has cost us more. Is it the following?

1) Our abysmal away form in general, with only 12 points gained from a possible 66, with such passionless away performances as Hartlepool, Gillingham, MK Dons & Exeter (where on paper you would expect the usual quality of a Southend team to pick up at least 6 points).

2) Our shocking form against lower half opposition (other than the dross that is Borient - I think that is what hurts the most is they likely will stay up while don't - and potentially Stockport next weekend), our form against fellow strugglers is worse than shocking. Exeter, dire home draw, passionless away defeat. Gillingham, lucky last minute winner, spineless away defeat. Hartlepool caved in away, as above. Oldham, pathetic at home, reasonable point picked up away with 10 men. Tranmere, as Exeter. Wycombe, 2 dull draws. Yeovil (seeing as RM likes to quote how much better we are at everything than them), couldn't score against a leaky defence like theirs in 120 minutes & let in another soft away goal.

3) This for me is the one that has killed us, games where we've gone from decent opportunites to gain points to drawing or even losing, again with late killer goals. This category alone I'd say has cost us in the region of something like 9 points. At Roots Hall, Charlton winning position to losing (3 pts, would have taken a draw) and Huddersfield (first game of the season, blew a 2 goal lead to draw - 2 points). Away, I'm not sure you can say we'd have got anything from our trip to the Lego Stadium but certainly THAT pitch didn't help, but seriously again look at the Brentford, Bristol Rovers & Norwich games, all matches we were leading in for long periods of time but again end up losing due to late goals (possibly the draw up at Walsall too falls into that category), so I'd say that again has cost us in the region of 4 or 5 solid points. Add these onto what we've got now & we'd be a fair way down the table but extremely confident of surviving. As a lot of people have said most of the season, we've seemingly only been 2 or maybe 3 quality players away from being at least a mid-table team. If only Ron could have seen this was the case and not let the financial issues strangle the funding of the football side of the club who knows what would have happened.

Personally, I hope Tilson reflects on all of this and is very forceful about the kind of player we hope to get in during the close-season, although as said many times elsewhere on here, what football agent is going to advise his client to come to a club with our current reputation?

I'd be interested to know everybody elses thoughts, although as I said initially lets try & keep the direct blame away from Martin & King here.

Just thought of another one, our lame home form. Funnily enough, we've actually lost less games at home that last season, but have drawn far too many. Again, I guess that comes from having no decent goalscorer since Barnard left. Far too many draws when we should have killed teams off, Brentford, Carlisle, Exeter, Tranmere, Wycombe etc...

I think one main reason - 33 players used!!

No consistency in any area of the pitch. Would like to see the same stats for the seasons we were promoted, seem to remember people like Pettefer played every game - cannot hink any player has come close to that this season.

I think one main reason - 33 players used!!

No consistency in any area of the pitch. Would like to see the same stats for the seasons we were promoted, seem to remember people like Pettefer played every game - cannot hink any player has come close to that this season.

Francis has only missed one through suspension.

You're spot on though, look at any succesful side in any division and there will be cosistancy and continuety throughout the side.

We analysed this to great detail at the weekend.

Take the financial implementations of this season to one side. There's no doubt it has been detrimental to the seasons efforts and it has been discussed to death. The simple fact of the matter is that we've had little control over that this season, incurred in part by disproportionate wages handed out by RM and the ongoing financial crisis affecting the club and RM's/His business fortunes.

I'd also be hesitant to put too much on the sale of Barnard. He made it evident he wanted to leave and, if he didn't in January, he sure as hell would've done in the Summer and on a free transfer which, judging by the amount of accusations towards the financial management of the club and the club still being hung up on Clarke costing us £1m, would've caused a considerable amount of contempt towards the club. There's also no guarantee we'd see the same Barnard after rejecting Southampton's advances... Something that a few people in the know have alluded to, not just RM at the Q&A.

Key reasons are:

• Lack of consistency throughout the playing staff. Barrett has had a different defensive partner for each month of the season and it's shone through with a **** poor defensive record. Had we started the season with Baldwin, I doubt we'd be anywhere near the drop zone.

• The lack of quality possessed by loanee's used to supplement the squad. Dervite, Robson-Kanu and Robinson are distant memories when compared to the likes of Sanchez Watt, Scott Malone and Scott Vernon. I dare say we've been trumped in the market for some individuals, and the change in the number of available substitutes has also made it incredibly difficult to bring real quality in on loan.

• This is something that all of us seemed to agree on: Tilson seems to have gone stale. The same mistakes have been made on the field continually throughout the season, the same excuses have been peddled out in interviews and substitutions continue to be used to no effect whatsoever.

Personally, I'd be tempted to bring in some new coaches on short term contracts, possibly even previous professionals while they're attaining their badges, just to freshen things up and offer something different. Footballers are notorious for getting comfortable and they need to be kept on their toes to maintain performance.

People like Andy Edwards, Geoff Horsfield and the like... Seasoned professionals who need to complete coaching sessions for their UEFA license and could offer valuable experience while theyre here.

• Missing key players at key times. Grant missed a long stretch of the season after Christmas while Scannell, Moussa and Spencer have missed huge games in recent weeks that, with more attacking impetus, we could have grabbed valuable points.

1. We're a failing business with a non-viable business plan and have been since well before RM ever got involved.
2. Failure to cut our cloth accordingly following relegation from the championship.

How we learn from it: pay 4th division wages next season (as opposed to not paying quasi-championship wages this season).

Let's try and sign players whose primary reason for wanting to be here is for the chance to play football and better themselves on the pitch instead of those who are attracted here by the money.

We analysed this to great detail at the weekend.

Not from what I've seen, it was 99% "blame RM for this, no blame him for that, blah, blah, blah". That was something I was trying to stay away from on this thread, mainly to demonstrate we know how the off-field episodes have affected everything but that there are trends on the pitch that with a few tweaks here & there, we could have maybe clung on to L1 status.

I do agree with your point about Scannell, Moussa & Spencer though. After Walsall, I was the most confident I had been in months that we could escape, losing that 2 goal lead (& Moussa to a 3 match ban) at Bristol Rovers again turned our season back towards negativity.

Not from what I've seen, it was 99% "blame RM for this, no blame him for that, blah, blah, blah". That was something I was trying to stay away from on this thread, mainly to demonstrate we know how the off-field episodes have affected everything but that there are trends on the pitch that with a few tweaks here & there, we could have maybe clung on to L1 status.

I do agree with your point about Scannell, Moussa & Spencer though. After Walsall, I was the most confident I had been in months that we could escape, losing that 2 goal lead (& Moussa to a 3 match ban) at Bristol Rovers again turned our season back towards negativity.

I didn't mean "We" as in this board, I meant We as in the group of Shrimpers I spent the night with miserable in a pub in York ;)

We're no worse off now than we were when RM took over, infact we're better off because at least we have a plan for the future and a half decent chance it will happen.

You want to blame someone? Gordon Brown.

Thats is all.

attachment.php

it all went wrong on january 20th when we sold barnard.

Not necessarily.
If Tilson had managed to offload Barney to Leeds in exchange for Grella instead of the deal RM did with Southampton for Paterson, I'd have expected us to have had enough about us still to stay up.

a lot of people talk about the amount of late goals we conceded, especially post xmas

it is interesting that this could be linked to the players not getting paid in a timely manner.

When a player goes out onto the field of play for a football game, i have no doubt that whether they have been paid or not, they want to win. Being on that field is about being better than the opposition... i dont think this is the problem, as natural competativeness is there as a footballer, money or not.

However, the problem with being paid late is that you might not neccesarilly put as much effort into training, which could lead to the players losing that crucial bit of fitness which makes the difference from being able to play well and hold a lead for 90 minutes, to being able to play for only 85 minutes.

Too many changes in the backline.

A failure to sign a real quality centre half to cover the shortcomings of Barrett.

No creativity or goalscoring in the centre of midfield at all, Macca Grant and the hapless JFC cant pass the ball or score.

With the exception of a brief spell from Scannell, no genuine width.

Take Barnard out and we haven't had a decent forward all season, every one we have tried looks completely impotent to me. Just imagine if we hadn't had Barnard for half a season, we might have finished below Stockport.

If you look at the above, then its no wonder we are the 2nd worst team in the league. Dark days ahead, make no mistake we are currently a very average and mediocre league 2 team, major reconstruction needed and fast.

For me the biggest thing in our downfall this season is not being able to pick a consistant side.

Barrett has had JFC, Grant, Francis, Sankofa, Heath, Baldwin, M'Voto and Morrison alongside him. At left back we have used Herd, White, Malone and Barrett. Up front we have gone through the likes of Barnard, Freedman, Walker, Revell, Jabo, Vernon, Laurent, Spencer, Crawford, Paterson.

Then you look at suspensions we have had. Barrett, Macca, JFC, Grant, and Moussa have all spent spells on the touchline because of suspensions. Then injuries have seen us without Barrett, Macca, Grant, Scannell, Spencer.

Also, we have not had a real creative force in our side. Francis has got the most assists this season for us. Players like Laurent, Scannell, Moussa, who are all meant to be creative in their own ways, haven't contributed enough assists for the strikers.

The defensive side of our game has been struggling for as long as I can remember. In the Championship season we let in close to 100 goals. We weren't exactly rock solid in either of our promotions, or our last two seasons in League One. Something needs to be sorted there. We have blamed the partnership of Barrett and Clarke. We have blamed the lack of a dominant goalkeeper in Flavahan but both of them issues have been addressed, kind of. Yet we still continue to conceed stupid goals. Free headers on set pieces, players exposing gaps where Francis should be, players winning flick ons and their partner going through and scoring. Its incredibly frustrating.

Also, the quality of the loans compared to previous seasons. Loanees should come in and be of a better quality than we can actually go out and buy. Look at Dervite as an example, so, so much better than anything else I've seen but never in a million years would be sign for us permenantly, so we loan them. In previous years we have had Sawyer, HRK, Robinson, Dervite, Feds' etc, yet this season its been Malone, Vernon, Watt etc. Not a patch.

Back