• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Andy Thomson

On the Boardwalk

A Carlisle friend of mine sent me this message which I thought quite interesting:
"The game was absolutely dire for an hour. Neither side could fathom a chance at goal. Thomson came on and the crowd came alive. They absolutely love him there, because he turned down a couple of other clubs to play for QoS for free (You can't imagine too many players turning out for nothing for the pride of ending their career helping out their home town club).

He scored with his first touch, made the keeper pull off a couple of blinding saves then popped up to score the winner.

We had two hours to wait for the train home, so we went into the social club, and as is usual with lower league football in Scotland, the players come in and sit down with the fans and have a chat about the game. You get the odd idiot shouting at them, but I think it's a really good thing, it kind of humanises the players.

Thomson was stood at the bar when I was there, so we got talking about how I always wanted United to sign him when he started off at Queens. He said that Carlisle would've been a good move so he wouldn't have to uproot, but we couldn't get the money together to sign him. He got talking about Southend, admitting that they're still the first result he looks for and when he goes on the internet and that the official website is one of the first he checks. I mentioned I knew a guy who was a supporter and he really perked up.

Said that his time there was the best of his career, but the injuries always held him back and he did consider taking the insurance money that he was offered once. He left Southend because of a falling out with somebody at the club, but wouldn't elaborate any further, except to say that if he ever wrote a book it'd be mentioned in there.

Once he signed for Gillingham, the money was better, but he felt that he'd left a club he felt of as home whereas they were just another club and began to regret it straight away.

Absolute top man, who put up with my brother and I for an hour and a half."

cool

always a lengend in my eyes!!!

biggrin.gif

Wow. Bit surprised about that because his time at Roots Hall wasn't very successful as every time he scored a few he'd get injured again. However its one thing for a player to say that when they are talking to a Southend fan, but to say it whilst talking to a Carlisle fan means a lot more.

He was already one of my favourite players from that era, but my respect for him went up when he turned down better offers to return to Queen of the South. I'm therefore pleased to hear that he has such a soft spot for Southend.

His goal at the Valley was possibly my happiest moment as a Southend fan. Away victories were as rare as Col Ewe fans, so you can imagine the delight as Tilly scored from 20 yards with his right(!) peg to give us a 2-0 lead. We were still jumping up and down celebrating when 30 seconds later he chased down a back pass to make it 3-0. I was delirious at 2-0, but somehow got happier.

**Bump** Because I'd much rather remember this striker than some who followed him and weren't fit to lace his boots.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Oct. 31 2006,17:20)]
laugh.gif

He wasn't bad, young Thommo - although I was more a Jonny Hunt fan.

cool.gif
You cant compare Jonathan Hunt to Andy Thomson..

That's like comparing a bit of brass to a lump of gold.

Thommo was fantastic for Southend, I loved watching him play.

Hunt wasn't even a striker to be fair, more of an attacking midfielder who went on to have a fair run at Birmingham and then where..

I'm full of affection for Thommo, you can shove Hunt up your arse
biggrin.gif

I think Hunt was every bit as good as Thommo personally...

Hunt had that extra touch of class and was so skillfull.....Thought he should have done a bit more for himself really....
Oo.gif

Are you sure this is the right Thomson. Because a mate of mine at work has just read out the message to him and he said he had a cup of tea after the game and went straight home.

Back