• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mad Cyril

The Fresh Prince of Belfairs⭐⭐
I have always regretted being too skint to get to any Anglo Italian cup away matches.

Does anyone have any interesting recollections?

I was only 14 when we played Fiorentina and Dad being a git wouldnt let me go as I had school.

By the time we made it the second time I was 17 and Dad said I could go. Four of us decided to go to think it was Reggiana away might be wrong on the team who knows.

This was before the days of Easyjet etc and the clubs deal was a total rip off so we decided to make our own way. my mate Mark planned a super little trip that basically went Dover-Paris-Milan-Reggiana. We were going by boat and then train. The only slight snag was we only had an hour to cross Paris to get from where the train dropped us off and the other station for the train to Milan overnight.

As it was we crossed Paris is record time and we got to the station with about thirty mins to spare. We sat round looking for the overnight train to Milan to come on the board - it didnt....

As the departure time got ever closer we got worried. My mate Paul could speak a bit of school french and tried to find out what was going on.

It turns out there was French industrial action across the whole country at mighnight for 48 hours and no trains leaving after midnight would be going. Out train was 12.05 and hence we werent going to Milan.

We have about £20 between us in Francs and were in Paris at mignight with the station about to close. We managed to find a hotel in the red light part of town that was dirt cheap using our mates credit card. To say it was iffy is to underestimate.

The next day we went to the station to ask about the best way to make it to Milan as we had a day to spare. There were no trains, planes or buses at all. Taxi of course well to expensive so we got stuck in Paris for 48 hours. Had a good time in fairness but that was it.

Got back to Dover and called Dad. He said you must be having a great time as we had snatched a late draw through Steve Tilson. I said not there mate I am at Dover get my dinner on.

Needless to say didnt really like the Anglo Italian after that.

The amount of times I gone away and ended up not going in is silly especially under the likes of Alvin Martin and Little but this one tops that David my son. You going Dagenham Saturday?.

The amount of times I gone away and ended up not going in is silly especially under the likes of Alvin Martin and Little but this one tops that David my son. You going Dagenham Saturday?.

Or like Barnet a few weeks a go.

No mate no doing Daggers. Gutted as got a bloody wifes friends wedding. So gutted to miss it. Still going Chelts if you fancy it. Cheap on train too.

I remember there was an italian team that played in purple ......... I remember thinking that you'd never get an English team playing in a purple, cherry or pink ............:sherlock:

Was too young sadly but if it happened again now I'd be all over it. Wasn't there one game where Ricky Otto got attacked with a hammer or some such incident? I remember it always used to get a bit 'feisty' in that competition, remember the massive brawl during a home game against Brescia where Mike Marsh did a fly-kick reminiscent of Bruce Lee and Chris Powell got sent off for it despite being nowhere near at the time.

Was too young sadly but if it happened again now I'd be all over it. Wasn't there one game where Ricky Otto got attacked with a hammer or some such incident? I remember it always used to get a bit 'feisty' in that competition, remember the massive brawl during a home game against Brescia where Mike Marsh did a fly-kick reminiscent of Bruce Lee and Chris Powell got sent off for it despite being nowhere near at the time.

Think it might have been Brescia away that one from memory.

Think it might have been Brescia away that one from memory.

Ricky Otto got chased by a hammer at an away game beginning with C. Might have been Cosenza.

I'm still gutted I never got to do an Anglo-Italian away game as my parents deemed school more important (or probably cheaper in my father's case).

I've long advocated an "Easy-Jet" Cup with the likes of Southend, Luton, Bournemouth and Bradford get to play a tournament against teams that Easy Jet (or whatever budget airline fancies sponsoring it) fly to. I reckon a budget airline would be up for providing the flights for the teams and the local tourist boards should be able to subsidise the accomodation. It would be excellent publicity, for example, for all the new destinations that EasyJet fly to from London-Southend.

I remember that. I personally did not go but my better half did and we still have the programe from the match. I do remember that they flew from Southend Airport and done the trip in one day. I will ask him what he can recall from the trip

i remember being 5 or 6 i think and we played at home and andy sussex scored a pen for some reason ak salonika comes to mind.
Also remember the game when we lost on penalties to notts county in 94 i think

It was Cosenza. We had to get to the minibus pretty quickly after that game as the natives were restless. I will always remember the home game against Lecce (I think) when their keeper was getting stick from the North Bank, and cheerfully waved back thinking it was complimentary.

showing my great age now, I was at fiorentina. It was an amazing trip and will never be forgotten for probably the biggest mismatch ever on a professional field. the Saturday before the Fiorentina game, our two centre halves had both been injured. Mike Lapper was one, not sure of the other. this left only one recognised centre half..........So what did we do, put one of our fowards at the back? Play a full back in the middle? no, we played our assistant manager, David Howells I think his name was. He was 48 and had last played for Barnet in their non league days. Fat Boy Fry sent him out with instructions to mark Batistuta out of the game! Batistuta gathered the ball inside his own half with Howells comfortably shielding him, a dip of the shoulder and turn of fleet foot and Batistuta was away! He galloped towards our goal and unleashed an unstoppable shot into the roof of the net for his second from all of twenty yards. As the ball hit the net I looked for Howells.....running at full pace, he was still inside their half!!

We were treated very well by Fiorentina who had only about 200 fans there as it was a Wednesday afternoon kick off! We even went on a cultural visit to Pisa!

Happy days!

Back