• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Surely it is just a human reaction to shout about something that is bad. How many footballers do you actually see sitting cross legged with their fingers on their lips after a bad tackle?
Yes it is, but you said he was appealing for the foul.

Giving the ref ear ache about the seriousness of the foul is totally unprofessional and only inflames the situation (which is what happened - I would not be surprised if the nearby Oxford players got involved because he was trying to influence the ref to send off their team mate). If he';s really concerned about Kane's welfare then he should be checking to see how he is.

As a match official myself, there is little worse than having players trying to tell me to card someone else. Because if you then go ahead with the card, it then looks like you're doing it because someone talked you into it. If someone puts me under pressure to card someone else, I always card them too (regardless of whether I actually give the card I'm being pressured to give).

There was no need to appeal for it, the ref had already blown it and was dealing with it.
Mate dont know where your coming from Granty was just pointing to ref with both hands open as so many players do so" dont pick my words" he was probably saying now you ve seen it what you gonna do about it (maybe).
this gave the no 6 the right to come and stamp full bloodedly on his foot ??
i think i made my point in my post and conceded that his reaction got himself sent off but it was a total kneejerk reaction not deliberate and cowardly like the no6 who set out to stamp on a fellow Pros foot!

I think the video being in slo-mo makes Grant's appeal look worse than it was. Any tackle like that on a fellow team mate would generate the same reaction, and in real time it probably lasted no more than a couple of seconds throwing his arms in the air and shouting something at the ref.

Wright knew exactly what he was doing and went looking for the reaction he got. The only good thing is that Craddock was red carded as well, as I bet he hadn't planned on that.

If someone puts me under pressure to card someone else, I always card them too (regardless of whether I actually give the card I'm being pressured to give).

This has always been mooted as a law change that will come in but i'm pretty certain its not official, the branishing of imaginary cards i something that really irks me

BLUEBLOOD said:
Having seen the incident on SSN i'm still looking for the "headbutt" that Paul Clark was talking about .. yes Grant squared up to one of theirs and raised his hands so had to go but wasn't anywhere near as bad as i'd imagined
To be fair to PC, it was Nik Alliker that said he saw a head-butt. I must be honest when it 1st kicked off, and he didn't mention it was Granty involved, I bet I wasn't the only one who expected to hear Bilel's name mentioned....:smiles:

Nice work Dave! ** too much time on your hands mate ** Make sure you get a reply on twitter from Scriv.

I asked this in another thread, but did the right bloke get booked for the initial challenge?!

Do you get a longer ban if you properly belt the other player? rather than 'pushing him in the face'

Sturrock angered by Grant red card

SOUTHEND United manager Paul Sturrock has criticised midfielder Anthony Grant following his red card at Oxford United on Tuesday night.

More...

But Grant still raised his hands which is a red card offence!!

No it is not ! That is a myth perpetuated by TV pundits and other people who should know better. Violent conduct is a red card offence and it is down to the referees' opinions as to what constitutes violent conduct. Sadly one referee's opinion will often differ from another.

Mate dont know where your coming from Granty was just pointing to ref with both hands open as so many players do so" dont pick my words" he was probably saying now you ve seen it what you gonna do about it (maybe).
this gave the no 6 the right to come and stamp full bloodedly on his foot ??
i think i made my point in my post and conceded that his reaction got himself sent off but it was a total kneejerk reaction not deliberate and cowardly like the no6 who set out to stamp on a fellow Pros foot!
That's not appealing for the foul, that's appealing for the card. You said he was appealing for the foul. I'm not picking your words, I'm quoting you!

Read my post about players appealing for cards - you'll see where I'm coming from on that. Essentially, appealing for cards does no-one any favours and only inflames an already heated situation.

Whatever Granty did, it absolutely does not give anyone the right to stamp on his foot - you and I are in total agreement on that. But that's a seperate offence. And besides, if someone tried to get one of your team mates sent off in your view, you'd be angry with them too wouldn't you?

No it is not ! That is a myth perpetuated by TV pundits and other people who should know better. Violent conduct is a red card offence and it is down to the referees' opinions as to what constitutes violent conduct. Sadly one referee's opinion will often differ from another.
I think if I walked up to you in the Spread and tried to push you over by shoving my hand in your face /neck, you'd feel I'd shown violent conduct towards you? Just because it's not painful or dangerous, shoving someone in the face when play has stopped is so far removed from proper conduct of players that anyone who does it thoroughly deserves a red card. In any case, in my opinion it shows intent to be violent towards someone which is enough for me. I don't care if every Tom, Dick or Harry does it, it's not acceptable and it should be stamped out of the game (though not in the literal sense that the Oxford 6 tried to stamp it out, obviously...).

I think if I walked up to you in the Spread and tried to push you over by shoving my hand in your face /neck, you'd feel I'd shown violent conduct towards you? Just because it's not painful or dangerous, shoving someone in the face when play has stopped is so far removed from proper conduct of players that anyone who does it thoroughly deserves a red card. In any case, in my opinion it shows intent to be violent towards someone which is enough for me. I don't care if every Tom, Dick or Harry does it, it's not acceptable and it should be stamped out of the game (though not in the literal sense that the Oxford 6 tried to stamp it out, obviously...).

Possibly, although if I'd just stamped on your foot I might feel your actions reasonable.

I don't recall saying that it wasn't violent conduct, I was merely refuting the oft quoted statement that "raising hands is a red card offence" so I'm not sure why you're taking issue with me.

The decision the referee (or in this case presumably the Assistant) has to make is did Grant use violent conduct ? Not, did Grant raise his hands ? They have to decide whether Grant was violent, petulant or merely warding off an assailant. They went for the first option and it's difficult to argue with it.

Well obviously when i said Grant raised his hands i wasn't inferring he was swotting away a moth was i :moon:

That's not appealing for the foul, that's appealing for the card. You said he was appealing for the foul. I'm not picking your words, I'm quoting you!

Read my post about players appealing for cards - you'll see where I'm coming from on that. Essentially, appealing for cards does no-one any favours and only inflames an already heated situation.

Whatever Granty did, it absolutely does not give anyone the right to stamp on his foot - you and I are in total agreement on that. But that's a seperate offence. And besides, if someone tried to get one of your team mates sent off in your view, you'd be angry with them too wouldn't you?
Are you a solicitor as well as a ref mate you are playing with my words not my sentiments you know i could not know exactly what Granty was saying whether he was appealing for a foul or trying to get someone sent off booked whatever
..he could have been saying oh!dear Kanes been hurt that looks like a nasty tackle never mind ref lets get on with it,for all you or i know ..but what i do know is the ref sent Grant off for raising his hands and yes i would be peed off if it was the other way round and he tried to get someone sent off we dont know that for fact do we? But again it was still a cowardly deliberate act by the no6 and that is the POINT im trying to make mate and what Grant did after was wrong and a kneejerk reaction.............so sorry my literal skills are substandard to yours but if you dont get my drift now i give up!

My apologies for not using the correct terminology! I think most if not all knew what I was getting at. Raising your hands and forcefully pushing them into someone's face will be construed as violent conduct by most I would have thought.

Back