• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sunderland are doomed, as they have seemed for a few years and have somehow managed to survive at the last moment but can't see it happening this season, even with Sam Allardyce.

So PB would have the choice of manager in League 1 on a 3 year deal, or assistant in the Premiership with a very real possibility of being out of work at the end of the season.

Phil Brown genuinely thinks he has one last chance at being a manager in the prem left in him. He stated this before. Personally I don't think he will ever get back there but nevertheless he wants to get back there. He would definitely have less chance to attract admirers of his work as a manager by being a number 2 rather than an actual manager of a club.
Likewise Jimmy Floyd at Burton, he is attracting more attention punching above his weight with a smaller club as a manager, than if he was a number two at a prem club. How can anyone decipher if you can crack it as a manager by being a number two, totally different role.

What I find strange is that if Brown went I wouldn't be that bothered. Seems odd considering what he's done for us, but I think it's because I don't think he's tactically the best.

The way Sunderland get through their managers he will be the no 1 by the end of the season

Think you'll find he's a Geordie.

You won't find many Geordies agreeing with you! I know a few & they all quickly pointed out their disgust at us appointing a Mackem as our manager..

Here we go again. He's been linked to lots of higher League clubs since he's been with us, and he didn't leave. Now he has shares in Southend, so I think it's even less likely for at least two years.

Here we go again. He's been linked to lots of higher League clubs since he's been with us, and he didn't leave. Now he has shares in Southend, so I think it's even less likely for at least two years.

Agreed, he won't go anywhere........ He's laughing right now, a nice little club, on the up, new ground (HOPE) good bunch of lads he respects and they respect him and (it seems) a great relationship with the chairman.

I'm not sure if anyone heard PB interview on Essex Radio, he was asked about the Sunderland no2 job and basically he said, I'm the manager of Southend Utd, end of the story. He seemed to be buzzing about whats going on at the club and the increase in the attendance (which we all know is very much realistic). He even mentioned he want's to see more through the doors as he knows we're not a small fish in a big pond.

He actually says "whatever happens Im manager of Southend"

Which could be translated to " I dont know what might happen but at moment Im manager of Southend"

Cant seem him leaving to be an assistant myself.

He actually says "whatever happens Im manager of Southend"

Which could be translated to " I dont know what might happen but at moment Im manager of Southend"

Cant seem him leaving to be an assistant myself.

Unless I'm going deaf (which if my eye sight is anything to go by, I could be), didn't he say, I'm the Southend Manager - End of? I'm sure Mark B confirmed that after his interview...

Brown will certainly leave. Either we'll do well and he'll be poached. Or we'll do badly and Ron will get rid. Speculate away.

Unless I'm going deaf (which if my eye sight is anything to go by, I could be), didn't he say, I'm the Southend Manager - End of? I'm sure Mark B confirmed that after his interview...

He said that, but only after saying "whatever happens". You can read what he said a multitude of ways, but he never said he wouldnt leave. Saying Im Southend manager - end of" only means thats what he is right now.

He could have said, Im staying as Southend Manager. End of. FACT :smile:

I thought it was a pretty non committal answer from Phil Brown when he was asked by the BBC Essex reporter if he would definitely be staying, however most people would probably do the same as you would only look foolish if you said 100% one thing then do the opposite, and Brown is pretty savvy when it comes to speaking with the media. Having said that, I would've thought from his perspective it would be better to stay as a manager at a League One club on the way up rather than be a number two at a premier league club on the way down. I'm sure he will move on when the right job comes calling for him, however I don't think this one is it.

Brown will certainly leave. Either we'll do well and he'll be poached. Or we'll do badly and Ron will get rid. Speculate away.

I think you have to accept at some point, a good manager will leave a smaller club for a bigger one and more money...... No way will RM get rid of him though, that won't happen. As a no1 in the Prem or even a big Champion club then he'll go but not as no2.

Money isn't everything by the way, sometimes job satisfaction means more. Obviously you need to make sure you're financially settled in life and lead a good life.

There could be something in this ... He will be offered much more than he can earn at Southend and it must be a bit **** living in a hotel

Back