• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Only 20 jobs exist in the top flight,being number 2 puts himself back in the mix,now if Sunderland stayed up then Phil's stock rises which may make one chairman tempted to offer him the main job.

being a no2 at a relegation threatened team gets him nowhere near the mix unless they do well, and that's really well!

doing well here then moving on to a championship club and doing well again, that gets him in the mix. With all the managerial talent on offer no prem chairman is gonna say "whose that assistant at that Northern team who are struggling, yea, we want him"

ive always said PB is going back to the big time as a manager with or without us, but not down this route his not

Only 20 jobs exist in the top flight,being number 2 puts himself back in the mix,now if Sunderland stayed up then Phil's stock rises which may make one chairman tempted to offer him the main job.

Does it really? I've never known a number 2 to get a prem managerial job from keeping a team up. Only top sides number 2's get proper jobs and they don't go swimmingly well. Carlos Queiroz left Real Madrid after a year, Mike Phelan applied for almost every job under the sun after leaving Man Utd job all he got was Norwich caretaker for a while, Steve Clark who was Carlo Ancelotti's number 2 at Chelsea and Real Madrid now manages in the championship.... No-one takes any notice of assistant managers, sorry but they really don't.

You say 20. But how many of those would ever contemplate taking on Phil Brown? Not Chelsea, Not Man City. Not Man Utd. Not Arsenal. Not Tottenham, etc. A handful at most

And of those that might (i.e. 'smaller' clubs such as Watford or Leicester) they're far more likely to be interested in someone who has actually been managing rather than an assistant.

If Phil Brown has long term managerial ambitions, then this wouldn't be a good move for him. If he has short term money making ambitions, then it probably would be.

Does it really? I've never known a number 2 to get a prem managerial job from keeping a team up. Only top sides number 2's get proper jobs and they don't go swimmingly well. Carlos Queiroz left Real Madrid after a year, Mike Phelan applied for almost every job under the sun after leaving Man Utd job all he got was Norwich caretaker for a while, Steve Clark who was Carlo Ancelotti's number 2 at Chelsea and Real Madrid now manages in the championship.... No-one takes any notice of assistant managers, sorry but they really don't.

Top of my head Steve McLaren even had the England gig,now back in the prem.

Top of my head Steve McLaren even had the England gig,now back in the prem.

Another Manchester United assistant....and of the side who won the treble.. wonder how he got a number one job after that... not quite sunderland

What happens after those two years?

Brown wants to be a manager in the top flight. That comes with big money. The best way to do that is to continue being a manager and doing well.

You know what, if it's all true, I think it's actually a beautifully balanced dilemma and this is a far harder choice for Brown than most are crediting. There's a long road between the Premiership and League One and, even if Sunderland were to fail this season, there's every chance they'd have a great season in the Championship the following year. I think he's better off here for numerous reasons, but throw in a truckload of Premiership cash and the chance to be hobnobbing it with the big boys again (even as a number 2) and Brown's native North East becomes all the more interesting. Ideally, Phil would want to be a manager but barring that small (okay massive) detail, there are plenty of other ticks in boxes.

You say 20. But how many of those would ever contemplate taking on Phil Brown? Not Chelsea, Not Man City. Not Man Utd. Not Arsenal. Not Tottenham, etc. A handful at most

And of those that might (i.e. 'smaller' clubs such as Watford or Leicester) they're far more likely to be interested in someone who has actually been managing rather than an assistant.

If Phil Brown has long term managieral ambitions, then this wouldn't be a good move for him. If he has short term money making ambitions, then it probably would be.

Agreed with much of this,

Everybody would like more cash and I wager Phil ain't no different.

You know what, if it's all true, I think it's actually a beautifully balanced dilemma and this is a far harder choice for Brown than most are crediting. There's a long road between the Premiership and League One and, even if Sunderland were to fail this season, there's every chance they'd have a great season in the Championship the following year. I think he's better off here for various reasons, but throw in a truckload of Premiership cash and the chance to be hobnobbing it with the big boys again, and Brown's native North East becomes all the more interesting.

Hooray the penny dropped:winking:

Being serious I still think it's all crap regarding if SA wants him.

Agreed with much of this,

Everybody would like more cash and I wager Phil ain't no different.

Not necessarily.

Plus, if Allardyce is a complete disaster at Sunderland than that doesn't leave Brown in a good position. Allardyce would bring Brown in, which would mean Brown wouldn't suddenly be in a position to take over - he'd be tarnished. That would see him struggling to get a L1 gig, and he's back to square one, with some cash in his pocket but a stalling career.

But if Sunderland were to do well either this season (and miraculously stay up) or next year in the Championship - then Brown wouldn't get much credit for that. Allardyce is a good manager with a good reputation. Brown would come out of the job without his CV enhanced.

Not necessarily.

Plus, if Allardyce is a complete disaster at Sunderland than that doesn't leave Brown in a good position. Allardyce would bring Brown in, which would mean Brown wouldn't suddenly be in a position to take over - he'd be tarnished. That would see him struggling to get a L1 gig, and he's back to square one, with some cash in his pocket but a stalling career.

Phil had success at Hull and here,he is not a manager being headhunted by various clubs,football can easily bite you back,few dodgy results and Phil could be sacked here,his rep then will be very low.

But if Sunderland were to do well either this season (and miraculously stay up) or next year in the Championship - then Brown wouldn't get much credit for that. Allardyce is a good manager with a good reputation. Brown would come out of the job without his CV enhanced.

And on that note, Sunderland are around 3/1 to stay up - i.e. only a 25% chance.

If he does go, and I really hope he doesn't, we are at least in a far better place now in terms of level of football,players and backroom staff than when he arrived. I actually think that Phil is too much of an egotist to play second fiddle to fat Sam, he wouldn't have quite the same allure to the media as a second in command either. We shall see.

Not necessarily.

After getting us to 7th in L1 as a manager on a lower budget than lots of other teams I think he would still have plenty of job offers at this level even if he did do a stint as an assistant at Sunderland.

After getting us to 7th in L1 as a manager on a lower budget than lots of other teams I think he would still have plenty of job offers at this level even if he did do a stint as an assistant at Sunderland.

Seven L1 teams changed their manager since our Morecambe game. He may find a job at this level, but it'd be a struggle seeing as he'll be a season or two out of the hot-seat, and there aren't many jobs coming up regularly.

Also 7th after 12 games is pretty meaningless. Let's see where we are in another 10 games.

Seven L1 teams changed their manager since our Morecambe game. He may find a job at this level, but it'd be a struggle seeing as he'll be a season or two out of the hot-seat, and there aren't many jobs coming up regularly.

Also 7th after 12 games is pretty meaningless. Let's see where we are in another 10 games.

So if we were 24th would you still say it was meaningless.

Not necessarily.

Indeed, financially he would be better off long term staying in management than as an assistant.

If we were still lanuishing in league two with no success Id imagine it would be more attractive, but he is a promotion winning manager doing well. He will be on plenty of shortlists this season Im sure when Championship managers start getting the axe. More so than the assistant managers in the league above.

Back