• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The only way Brown's going to get a crack at the Premiership is by getting a Championship club promoted.

But he hasn't managed or coached at that level for five years and that's soon going to become an issue in the eyes of Championship chairmen.

After that amount of time away from the top two divisions he's more likely to make the jump to a Championship manager position from being a Prem assistant and stepping down than being a L1 manager and stepping up.

If MrsBlue thinks his going then that guarantees he will be staying. He/she is wrong about everything.

How about this for a scenario. Southend achieve a play-off berth in FL1 this season and once again clinch promotion at Wembley for a second season running, also picking up the Johnson's Paint Trophy on the way. During the current season Southend Council and Government inspectors approve the Fossetts Farm plans without amendment and building work is guaranteed to commence early 2017 complete with a four sided stadium. To cap it all, Smiffy states publically on Shrimper Zone, '**** me, never thought I would see it happen, well done Ron'.

Sounds pretty incredible, but it is still possible as things stand. So why would Phil want to leave and miss all that?

Money !

Every manager has a short shelf life,Phil could earn enough at Sunderland to feather his own nest and if they stay up he would earn even more with potential to obtain a better job.

Not everyone is driven by money...

How about this for a scenario. Southend achieve a play-off berth in FL1 this season and once again clinch promotion at Wembley for a second season running, also picking up the Johnson's Paint Trophy on the way. During the current season Southend Council and Government inspectors approve the Fossetts Farm plans without amendment and building work is guaranteed to commence early 2017 complete with a four sided stadium. To cap it all, Smiffy states publically on Shrimper Zone, '**** me, never thought I would see it happen, well done Ron'.

Sounds pretty incredible, but it is still possible as things stand. So why would Phil want to leave and miss all that?

I believe all of your post is possible.....except the 'well done Ron' by Smiffy.

Top of my head Steve McLaren even had the England gig,now back in the prem.

Not for long! They won't stay up with him in charge.By all accounts he's an excellent coach,but even if he'd never been near an umbrella in his life .......

Apparently favourite is Ian Hendon.

I've said all along, PB won't be going anywhere for AT LEAST another 2 seasons...... He's on a winner right now with the club moving in the right direction.

Sometimes job satisfaction means more than money and I know he's happy here. New home, relationship with the chairman which you don't find often, shares, new ground in the future, support up and will continue to do so, great bunch of lads who he enjoys being around, BH (who is an experienced manager) but not even his number 2 (that says a lot), great back room team which you'd struggle to find better outside the Championship, players who WILL be knocking on the England door one day (because of what his team have achieved). And, most of all, our fans like him and respect him.

I know where I'd want to stay.

Can't see PB going to Sunderland as a number 2 personally. As someone has stated, he'll walk out on a 3 year contract, shares in the club and a potential windfall when the new stadium is built. He's built a good squad together and has had a lot of backing from the chairman.

I shouldn't imagine he'd be on much more money as a number 2 at Sunderland than what he's earning here. Not only that, Sam's lifespan at any club is never that long (Bolton excluded) so won't have much job security.

...and who did big Sam have as his number two at Bolton...?

I've said all along, PB won't be going anywhere for AT LEAST another 2 seasons...... He's on a winner right now with the club moving in the right direction.

Sometimes job satisfaction means more than money and I know he's happy here. New home, relationship with the chairman which you don't find often, shares, new ground in the future, support up and will continue to do so, great bunch of lads who he enjoys being around, BH (who is an experienced manager) but not even his number 2 (that says a lot), great back room team which you'd struggle to find better outside the Championship, players who WILL be knocking on the England door one day (because of what his team have achieved). And, most of all, our fans like him and respect him.

I know where I'd want to stay.

I like your post but who other than Bentley will be knocking on the England door, are you including Ted as well?

The whole thing is a non story. Someone mentioned it on a.Sunderland forum adding two and two and making 5. PB has said he doesn't want to go, Ron has said they haven't made an approach time for the mods to close this thread

That not true. There is something in this rumour but I don't think he will go.

Back