• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Maybe...however:

Would Liverpool give away fans The Kop? Would Celtic give Ranger The Jungle? Would NUFC give away fans The Gallowgate End?
Actually - has anyone ever heard of giving away fans - the home end that creates the most noise?

Yes...there are reasons. Good reasons even. BUT few - if any other club - give the home end away. Is like giving a degree of home advantage away.

Fully agree with you , and although there are obvious cost and safety issues with changing it , I think the club are missing a big trick here and also short changing the people from W Block that do their best to generate some noise.
I guess the other side of the coin is that in games with Millwall , Col U , Pompey etc we may lose out on gate receipts

Maybe...however:

Would Liverpool give away fans The Kop? Would Celtic give Rangers The Jungle? Would NUFC give away fans The Gallowgate End?
Actually - has anyone ever heard of giving away fans - the home end that creates the most noise?

Yes...there are reasons. Good reasons even. BUT few - if any other club - give the home end away. Is like giving a degree of home advantage away.

That tells me you don't know the reason for the change.

However, whether or not we should change it back is a different argument.

[/B]

We can never understand why people clap the away fans when the number of away fans is read out. I dont recall ever being applauded by home fans at an away game. Yes credit to the 250 that travelled down from Chesterfield but down clap them. They wont give a s@@t how many we take to their place

I have been to away games before and we've been applauded by the home end. I doesn't happen often.

I guess its more a mark of respect for putting money into our club and making the journey. That said I didn't see Millwall getting the same respect for filling out the away end which is a vital bit of income.

The sad fact is that we have at times had some great atmospheres, but it has to be the right kind of game or crowd numbers. Think burton albion in the play offs or orient in the JPT.

The football this season has been poor and definitely not conducive to an atmosphere.

I worked hard to get the north bank back for the club, I managed it.

Problem is our fans blew it! Sad fact but true.

The only way we would ever get the north again is without away fans there

The problem is - acoustics.
For whatever reason (I have no idea why) noise from The North Bank transmits across the pitch and can be heard by the majority in the ground. The West? It just revolves back inside the stand. Other areas of the ground can see TBV singing and chanting - but hear very, very little. So it is the away fans most people can hear.
When I was younger we had The North Bank as "our end" and Roots Hall had an atmosphere associated with home support. So the club gives the atmospheric stand to opposing supporters and our team has to contend with an almost complete lack of vocal support.

The North Bank went the day the club gave it to the opposition , Arther Rowley said that The North Bank played a big part in takeing the club up in 1971-72 .

Maybe a lot of "younger" fans never knew the "North bank" ,as we knew it.So there for dont know what they are missing

Bought my ticket for Shrewsbury game today, my first game of the season due to boring work duties, east stand here I come so the noise will be massive in the east stand blues:winking:

I sat in the North Bank against Morecambe the other year.

Worst view in the ground!

Was a great place when it was standing! :clap::clap:

Back