• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

RyanSmyth

Youth Team
Its clear that we need to bring in a midfielder or two perhaps. Lots of talk about whats happened to Brogan and Spicer but do we need an attacking midfielder to feed the strikers or a defensive midfielder to provide cover at the back?

From being at Tuesday nights game I'm sure everyone will agree with me that in the first half we were woeful. Whether they are two leagues above or not, IMO 3-0 at half-time is not acceptable. In the second half I thought we had a bit more fight and created quite a few good chances that tested their goal and also hit the bar twice.

IMO if we are to bring in a midfielder I would rather he be a defensive player to link with an attacking midfielder and perhaps try a 41212 formation which gives cover up front and at the back?

Your thoughts?

Attack!!!

If our midfield at the moment are lucky enough to get the ball it will only go sideways

Just someone who can put their foot on the ball and pass with composure a la Kevin Maher, something that Kane certainly cant do. Weve had a number of good CM partnerships over the last few seasons- Maher/guttridge, Bailey/Macca- that neccesarily havent been either defensive or attack minded. They balanced each other well.

Looking on the PFA list a few names that could do a job- Kenny Lunt, Sean McAllister, Darrel Russell, Dwayne Mattis.

It's quite clear to me that we need both - one defensive central midfielder and another central midfielder who is forward-thinking and can help feed the strikers. We can then select our best midfield depending on the opposition.

Just someone who can put their foot on the ball and pass with composure a la Kevin Maher, something that Kane certainly cant do. Weve had a number of good CM partnerships over the last few seasons- Maher/guttridge, Bailey/Macca- that neccesarily havent been either defensive or attack minded. They balanced each other well.

Looking on the PFA list a few names that could do a job- Kenny Lunt, Sean McAllister, Darrel Russell, Dwayne Mattis.

This.

Doesnt have to be Gazza, but anyone who can get on the ball and use it wisely.

Maher wouldnt play many forward balls, but when he got it you know Gower or one of the other attacking players would get the ball.

We're desperate for a defensive midfielder. I don't see anyone in there who can put their foot in and tackle.

From what I have heard we wont be signing Brogan nor Spicer any time soon (if at all) but are hoping to make a signing prior to Saturday.

This surprises me if true as thought Brogan was odds on.

From what I have heard we wont be signing Brogan nor Spicer any time soon (if at all) but are hoping to make a signing prior to Saturday.

Spinner out of retirement :happy:

Ferdinand is good enough in support of attack, but he's not a creative midfielder, nor do I think he's necessarily a defensive midfielder - he doesn't seem to tackle much. If I had to choose only one of these two positions to fill, it would be defensive midfielder. No-one seems to know how to tackle.

Very disappointed if we aren't going in for Brogan, think with time and fitness would end up being a definite starter for us.

I think this.

PS knows where the problem is. Brogan is a winger- we already have Hall, Leonard, Martin, Hurst (& Tomlin can play out wide). Priority? unfortunately not (unless Hall goes, but theat isn't the plan)..

Donnelly- young attacking midfielder. Again unfortunately not the priority.

Spicer- did well, must be very close but may not be absolutely what he is looking for.

PS has always said as the season gets close his targets may come available and he has I am sure been keeping his options open. May just be with Timlin yet to come back, rather than getting 2 or even all the above he has a single signing in mind who will be nearer the top end of our wage structure. We need someone experienced and a playmaker...I have a feeling there is a cunning plan. Hope so..

Yep agree. Brogan may be a potential great signing but right now we need strength, composure and leadership in the centre of the park, not another left winger.

Lee Bowyer is available exactly what we need i feel its just wages but there isn't exactly a host of clubs looking at him

We need a defensive midfielder, I was surprised Kalala wasn't kept on, not amazing but pretty vital to a squad. Ferdinand is okay, arrives well in the box, used to be a more defensive minded player, on his day he can change the result of a game, but if he doesn't turn up he can be pretty shoddy.

I am happy with Timlin being the more attack minded midfielder, we also got rid of Sawyer though, who was a good back up, we could do with someone else, because as Tuesday night showed, we were so short of midfield quality.

Ive heard that the above isnt the case and we should see a signing very soon. Fingers crossed its true..

Back