• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

He has been here for 2 months!!
When do you think he will be able to play the full 90 then?

2 months means nothing - most Newport players didn't get a game for 2 months.

More appropriately, he has started 4 games.

I'm not saying he can't complete 90 miniutes, but PB obviously feels at this stage, Lee hasn't hit the level to play the full 90. Had he scored in 1 of those 4, I'm sure he would have completed the match. It is a balancing act of trying to get him match sharp and not completely destroy his confidence.

Using him correctly this season, could give us a really great addition to the squad for next season. That is IF, and only IF, people like yourself haven't made Barney think "sod this, I'll go and play in league 1 for a bit more £££"

I'm not saying he can't complete 90 miniutes, but PB obviously feels at this stage, Lee hasn't hit the level to play the full 90. Had he scored in 1 of those 4, I'm sure he would have completed the match. It is a balancing act of trying to get him match sharp and not completely destroy his confidence.

Using him correctly this season, could give us a really great addition to the squad for next season. That is IF, and only IF, people like yourself haven't made Barney think "sod this, I'll go and play in league 1 for a bit more £££"

According to you Barnard would leave "through people like me" haha that is one of the most ridiculous comments I have ever read on here.

I really struggle to understand the 'let's find a scapegoat' mentality.

Facts - Barney has played 1 x Full 90 minute match since his return away at Mansfield - and yet he is the one getting all the flack for our poor form?
All his other 6 appearances have been either coming on as sub in 72 mins, 86 mins, or 61 mins or he has been subbed after 61 mins, 69 mins & 56 mins. Hardly much match time in comparison to others and yet it is miraculously all his fault.

What a load of nonsense - How about the glaring fact that Luke Prosser's last match was against Hull and our defence have looked unsure and nervous ever since his injury?
Or that our midfielders, as many have mentioned have hit poor form since the Hull game?
Maybe our dip in form is a combination of all these things and not just one guy's fault!

I don't disagree that we need to make changes and I too would like to see Payne and Williams at some point during 90 minutes but not at the expense of an experienced goal scorer who given the right service will still score goals.
To put things into perspective, of the available 810 minutes available since he joined us he has played just 327 minutes.
And in that 327 minutes, he has hardly had umpteen goal scoring chances that he has missed - then you may have a point but not at the moment imo.

No disrespect to Barnard, but if 2 months is nothing as you say , why is he not playing 90 mins then?

I'm sure the Newport lads, or some of them, are now

It's not his fault that he was brought back to the club ,but it's time to accept that it hasn't worked out and time to go back to Southampton, if he needs a lift I'll drive him there myself !!!

Agree, its made rest of team look unsettled. Shame because if he had full pre season and game time at another club earlier on this season it could have been better.

For, the bottom line is, why did Brown bring in Barnard and where did he expect him to play? Up until our form crashed, the team were on an excellent run playing the 4-5-1 / 4-3-3 formation. I think Brown, worried by a lack of goals, brought in Barnard and then changed the formation to 4-4-2 to accommodate him - That just didn't work, and now confidence has completely evaporated.

None of this is Barnard's fault of course, and you don't become a bad player overnight. He is, ultimately, a goal scorer and thrives on opportunities in and around the box - It is up to the rest of the team to create them for him, and of late, we have done previous little of that.

There has also been no real time given to Barnard being in the team - He has had no real chance to build a partnership with Corr, and I'm not sure playing up front on his jack would suit his game.

The other problem is that when Brown plays 4-4-2, he removes the width from the left as he drops Straker to ensure all 3 central midfielders are incorporated, thus cutting off another supply line.

We all know what Barnard can do given the chances, and if we're to utilise him, then we need to play a formation that maximises the number of goal scoring chances we create for him.

Trouble is, Brown seems to have no way of getting us to play anywhere near decent when playing 4-4-2!

If we are to continue with the current formation, then I see no point in keeping Barnard, unless he takes up one of the front 3 positions.

You say the defence was superb yet the previous 13 games before Barney signed they had kept 2 clean sheets and the 9 games played since Lee arrived they have kept 2 clean sheets so arguably the defence had a better record over the last 9 games.

The last 17 league games this team have either managed 1 goal or nil in over 80% of those games which is ok if the defence rarely conceded however you cannot win games if those up front rarely score as we cannot rely on midfield or defenders to out score the opposition.

The midfield has no out ball whilst the opposition have worked out how to beat us.

Barnard's career over the last 2 years has gone downhill and if he was still able to do it he would not be playing here.

You've effectively answered your own question and proved my point. The strikers haven't been scoring regularly all season, hence why Hurst is our top scorer. Since certain parts of the team have badly lost form we aren't scoring anywhere near enough goals, hence we are no longer winning games. Corr hasn't been prolific, none of our strikers have and the reason for this is the lack of service they receive and the nature of the job that the lone frontman is asked to play by Brown. The problem lies with the tactics and having key players in poor form. The side needs shaking up to increase creativity and also to show certain players that resting on their laurels will lead to loss of a starting place. As for Barnard it's no surprise that he was out on loan at a higher level than this last season before his injury, I work alongside a Bournemouth fan who said he was great for them last season in L1 and had an excellent connection with Simon Francis (no surprise there....service!). Contrary to popular belief on here we DON'T possess a team of Messi's who can weave magic for themselves, a goalscorer without chances is pointless. Aim your criticism at Brown, he's the one who needs to sort this out and quickly (and before anyone slates me I was never a Brown fan when he arrived, he's won me round though and I still believe he's the right man for this job).

For, the bottom line is, why did Brown bring in Barnard and where did he expect him to play? Up until our form crashed, the team were on an excellent run playing the 4-5-1 / 4-3-3 formation. I think Brown, worried by a lack of goals, brought in Barnard and then changed the formation to 4-4-2 to accommodate him - That just didn't work, and now confidence has completely evaporated.

None of this is Barnard's fault of course, and you don't become a bad player overnight. He is, ultimately, a goal scorer and thrives on opportunities in and around the box - It is up to the rest of the team to create them for him, and of late, we have done previous little of that.

There has also been no real time given to Barnard being in the team - He has had no real chance to build a partnership with Corr, and I'm not sure playing up front on his jack would suit his game.

The other problem is that when Brown plays 4-4-2, he removes the width from the left as he drops Straker to ensure all 3 central midfielders are incorporated, thus cutting off another supply line.

We all know what Barnard can do given the chances, and if we're to utilise him, then we need to play a formation that maximises the number of goal scoring chances we create for him.

Trouble is, Brown seems to have no way of getting us to play anywhere near decent when playing 4-4-2!

If we are to continue with the current formation, then I see no point in keeping Barnard, unless he takes up one of the front 3 positions.

Form was stuttering plenty by then, certainly downhill since.

Great post though.

I do agree though, it was discussed on here what system we should played, 451 or 442 and how Barnard would play. One of the points made at the time was we played 451 not out of choice but because thats the system our available players suited, we were very strong in midfield and light up front. Its therefore very possible Brown wanted to be able to play 442 and bringing in Barnard in would help that.

I dont think changing the way we played helped in anyway and since then we seem to not really know our best system (and injuries playing a part in that as well).

Having Barnard in the squad is handy to have as we are light up front still, but Im not sure how he fits in the team.

Facts - Barney has played 1 x Full 90 minute match since his return away at Mansfield - and yet he is the one getting all the flack for our poor form?
All his other 6 appearances have been either coming on as sub in 72 mins, 86 mins, or 61 mins or he has been subbed after 61 mins, 69 mins & 56 mins. Hardly much match time in comparison to others and yet it is miraculously all his fault.

What a load of nonsense - How about the glaring fact that Luke Prosser's last match was against Hull and our defence have looked unsure and nervous ever since his injury?
Or that our midfielders, as many have mentioned have hit poor form since the Hull game?
Maybe our dip in form is a combination of all these things and not just one guy's fault!

I don't disagree that we need to make changes and I too would like to see Payne and Williams at some point during 90 minutes but not at the expense of an experienced goal scorer who given the right service will still score goals.
To put things into perspective, of the available 810 minutes available since he joined us he has played just 327 minutes.
And in that 327 minutes, he has hardly had umpteen goal scoring chances that he has missed - then you may have a point but not at the moment imo.

The same player who has not scored since March 2013 or possibly the same player who has scored ONCE in his last 21 appearances!

Hang on a minute, he's come from a Prem club, if he had been applying himself properly in training at Southampton he would have hit the ground running in Lge 2 !!!!! Lazy, unfit and uninterested is what I see.

Corr wins headers which normally go anywhere and if I threw a bag of sand to his feet the sand would never be under his control.

OK this comment is quite hilarious, there are 3 thoughts running through my mind here mrsblue:

(1) you are an armchair fan who is an "expert" on all things Southend United as you listen to every game on your radio.

(2) you are an Orient/Col U fan posting on here for a laugh.

(3) you are wiggy and I claim my £5.

So which is it? Because that comment on Corr is laughable.

Bingo! :clap:

OK this comment is quite hilarious, there are 3 thoughts running through my mind here mrsblue:

(1) you are an armchair fan who is an "expert" on all things Southend United as you listen to every game on your radio.

(2) you are an Orient/Col U fan posting on here for a laugh.

(3) you are wiggy and I claim my £5.

So which is it? Because that comment on Corr is laughable.

None of the above,

I have always stated that IMO Corr is and will never be able to play the lone man role as I think he is too far apart from his team mates,He needs a quick partner alongside him!,The lone role makes him appear clumsy IMO.

None of the above,

I have always stated that IMO Corr is and will never be able to play the lone man role as I think he is too far apart from his team mates,He needs a quick partner alongside him!,The lone role makes him appear clumsy IMO.

So rather than criticise Corr's ability with his head and on the floor (which is pretty good on both counts, particularly in the air) just say that you think he needs a partner alongside him so that he's not too far away from his team-mates. On this point I agree - I don't much like the 4-5-1 either - but Corr does a damn good job for this team in what must be a frustrating role for him to play (and for any of the other forwards when played there too). That's the managers decision, it's nothing to do with Corr.

Ricey, fair enough but not keen on the idea of having my interest and support in the Club questioned. Vast majority of my comments are accurate and my opinions genuine. A shame you don't know of the many acqaitancies That I have connected t Blues to show my interest n them is honest

Back