• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

You go round and round in circles, going over the same old ground time and time again. People have different opinions from you, and you will get called out if you try to batter your will onto others who do not share your opinion.
Thanks for the red and the sad comments with it, I will treasure it forever.:thumbsup:

Glad you enjoyed the red !

I argue my point and it's only fair others will disagree as this thread proves,Yet your suggestion of me being manager is very silly and hardly worth your time in posting it.

I think it time to lay off Mrs. Blue. We are starting to look like a fevered bunch of Mackays. In truth she has raised some very valid points which this thread 9 pages in demonstrates. You may not agree, may find some points repetitve, but at least attempt a degree of civility? or put on ignore.

I think it time to lay off Mrs. Blue. We are starting to look like a fevered bunch of Mackays. In truth she has raised some very valid points which this thread 9 pages in demonstrates. You may not agree, may find some points repetitve, but at least attempt a degree of civility? or put on ignore.

Thank you!

Most on here are very fair and debate intelligently which makes the forum what it is,My only gripe is when people post sarcastic comments which is their right but offers little.

Is it ridiculous though?

8 wins from the last 24 league games or include the play off and it's 8 from 26
1 point from the last 2 games
Lack of goals throughout

Ron in fairness gives his managers plenty of time but I think the next 8 league games will make or break Phil as they are mainly against promotion fancies.

Lets talk again after those 8 games

MrsBlue is conspicuous by her absense, barely heard from her in the first two weeks of the season. Then a couple of games without a win, and boom, 87 posts a day screaming for change. It's the only thing she advocates, change, because if you're criticsing others, it surely proves your own superior intellect of the game. We saw it at the tail end of last year, during the World Cup, and again now because we've gone two games without a win. I think she's pretty much copied and pasted the Hodgson posts, and just changed the name to Brown. Come on MrsB, show some originality.

Sure we haven't scored a hatful, but we have new players bedding into the side, a slight change in formation - it always takes 6-8 games for sides to properly settle, lets relax a bit before we start the scaremongering.

I also don't undertand attacking the striker with the least amount of minutes this season? He's had less minutes on the pitch than Corr, Coulthirst and Weston, all players that have played in forward positions, yet it's all Barney's fault we haven't won every game 4-3? why are you attacking him over strikers that have not found the net yet? Barney won us the match at Accrington, setting up and scoring the winner.

Finally, as you're such a fan of stats. Barney has been part of us winning 7 points from 4 games. If we continue this form over the course of the season, we'll have 84 points. You'd have to go back seven seasons to find year that wasn't good enough for promotion. 1st, 1st, 3rd, 2nd, 2nd & 2nd. Does make your scaremongering a bit OTT doesn't it. but then when isn't it?

MrsBlue is conspicuous by her absense, barely heard from her in the first two weeks of the season. Then a couple of games without a win, and boom, 87 posts a day screaming for change. It's the only thing she advocates, change, because if you're criticsing others, it surely proves your own superior intellect of the game. We saw it at the tail end of last year, during the World Cup, and again now because we've gone two games without a win. I think she's pretty much copied and pasted the Hodgson posts, and just changed the name to Brown. Come on MrsB, show some originality.

Sure we haven't scored a hatful, but we have new players bedding into the side, a slight change in formation - it always takes 6-8 games for sides to properly settle, lets relax a bit before we start the scaremongering.

I also don't undertand attacking the striker with the least amount of minutes this season? He's had less minutes on the pitch than Corr, Coulthirst and Weston, all players that have played in forward positions, yet it's all Barney's fault we haven't won every game 4-3? why are you attacking him over strikers that have not found the net yet? Barney won us the match at Accrington, setting up and scoring the winner.

Finally, as you're such a fan of stats. Barney has been part of us winning 7 points from 4 games. If we continue this form over the course of the season, we'll have 84 points. You'd have to go back seven seasons to find year that wasn't good enough for promotion. 1st, 1st, 3rd, 2nd, 2nd & 2nd. Does make your scaremongering a bit OTT doesn't it. but then when isn't it?

Signing Barney was a big risk and investment on the budget judging by his previous couple of seasons before rejoining us which reads last season 1 goal from the spot,Previous season 7 goals and the Season before 0 goals,Put it another way how many on here would be jumping with joy if we had signed a striker with an identical record over 3 seasons called Steve Striker?Most of us would question that signing yet because many believe Barney is the same player first time here they offer any excuse.

You then have to ask why Phil does not see Barney as his 90 minute forward !

If Barney smashed 15/20 this season I will be the first on here issuing the biggest apology this forum has seen.

So you will base any signing solely on their record with a previous club, ignoring the level they were playing at, position playing and other factors?

So you will base any signing solely on their record with a previous club, ignoring the level they were playing at, position playing and other factors?

Gary Lineker was a great striker but I would not sign him now as he is past it,Is Barney past it I don't know but he sure needs to improve to warrant any inclusion in the team.

Look at the ratings from fans who went to Carlisle with most unimpressed with Barney's latest cameo.Why even sign an injury prone player in the first place?

Thank you!

Most on here are very fair and debate intelligently which makes the forum what it is,My only gripe is when people post sarcastic comments which is their right but offers little.

I assume this was an ironic comment ? if not
that sums up why some of us don't like your style of posting, even if we may agree with you on some points. You simply fail to appreciate that maybe you are not always right

I assume this was an ironic comment ? if not
that sums up why some of us don't like your style of posting, even if we may agree with you on some points. You simply fail to appreciate that maybe you are not always right

On many threads I don't post but when I think I am right until I have been proved wrong I will think I am right,Look at the trust thread with well over 100 replies I posted once because I have no idea what the trust or Ron does so little point in continually posting as I'm in the dark on that matter.

Signing Barney was a big risk and investment on the budget judging by his previous couple of seasons before rejoining us which reads last season 1 goal from the spot,Previous season 7 goals and the Season before 0 goals,Put it another way how many on here would be jumping with joy if we had signed a striker with an identical record over 3 seasons called Steve Striker?Most of us would question that signing yet because many believe Barney is the same player first time here they offer any excuse.

You then have to ask why Phil does not see Barney as his 90 minute forward !

If Barney smashed 15/20 this season I will be the first on here issuing the biggest apology this forum has seen.

Goals are only secondary to points though. And the point you sidestepped is with our current low goal tally (including Barney's 1 in 4 from the bench), we are still on target for a promotion achieving points total.

I don't see what the problem is? Yes he can do better, but it's always harder to impact proceedings from the bench than it is from the start, purely because you have less time to make that impact. Not all our players can start, does that mean all of those who aren't in the first eleven are a waste of money? Does that mean we have nine players in the side who aren't 90 minute players? Is Worrall not a 90 minute player? Is Ibsenfeldt not a 90 minute player?

If Barney was top scorer with 8 goals (2 of which were pens) this season, and we went up I'd be happy with the team effort. True I'd be looking for a stronger striker next season, but I wouldn't be casting the ridiculous conspiracy theories you seem to enjoy so much to undermine a part of that team. Especially not to the subsitute striker, when you have two others with far more game time than him.

Equally, if after another four games, he's made no further impact and Brown wasn't using an alternative and it was impacting the team's overall performance then I'd be questioning Brown's decision to continue to use him in that role. But not after four substitute appearances, one of which produced three points.

Coulthirst and Corr have been far more wasteful in front of goal, and produced a far worse goals per minutes ratio, and conversion of chances than Barnard this season, why the vendetta against Lee? Why not include Shaq and Barry in your latest conspiracy theory? It seems a bit absurd to accuse the one player who can't seem to buy a league start to have some sort of playing clause in his contract, when there are two strikers starting that haven't been able to find the net as much as Lee has in his short sub appearances.

Finally, Elias Brown or Isaac Layne would be my choice over Williams though as they seem to have a lot more about them than Williams, judging by the short spell's I've seen the three of them play.

Thank you!

How can you expect anything else when your thread title is puerile at best.

Goals are only secondary to points though. And the point you sidestepped is with our current low goal tally (including Barney's 1 in 4 from the bench), we are still on target for a promotion achieving points total.

I don't see what the problem is? Yes he can do better, but it's always harder to impact proceedings from the bench than it is from the start, purely because you have less time to make that impact. Not all our players can start, does that mean all of those who aren't in the first eleven are a waste of money? Does that mean we have nine players in the side who aren't 90 minute players? Is Worrall not a 90 minute player? Is Ibsenfeldt not a 90 minute player?

If Barney was top scorer with 8 goals (2 of which were pens) this season, and we went up I'd be happy with the team effort. True I'd be looking for a stronger striker next season, but I wouldn't be casting the ridiculous conspiracy theories you seem to enjoy so much to undermine a part of that team. Especially not to the subsitute striker, when you have two others with far more game time than him.

Equally, if after another four games, he's made no further impact and Brown wasn't using an alternative and it was impacting the team's overall performance then I'd be questioning Brown's decision to continue to use him in that role. But not after four substitute appearances, one of which produced three points.

Coulthirst and Corr have been far more wasteful in front of goal, and produced a far worse goals per minutes ratio, and conversion of chances than Barnard this season, why the vendetta against Lee? Why not include Shaq and Barry in your latest conspiracy theory? It seems a bit absurd to accuse the one player who can't seem to buy a league start to have some sort of playing clause in his contract, when there are two strikers starting that haven't been able to find the net as much as Lee has in his short sub appearances.

Finally, Elias Brown or Isaac Layne would be my choice over Williams though as they seem to have a lot more about them than Williams, judging by the short spell's I've seen the three of them play.

Ask Phil why Barney plays cameos?
Corr never was and never will be my idea of a forward
Coulthirst IMO doesn't deserve to be selected on what I have seen

Brown Layne and Williams should be given their chance!

3 games against teams who IMO will be fighting relegation or lower mid table and yet we managed 1 penalty and 1 long range strike,4 points from those 3 games is not good but even more concerning is just 1 goal from open play !

I expect you own a Barney and Corr duvet set .

Where do they sell these?!? :omg:

How many chances has Barney actually missed?

Not many... that means we haven't set them up for him. We could have the best finisher in the world playing and they wouldn't score..

Bingo. We've had probably the two best finishers Southend have had in the last 20 seasons playing for us in 2014 and neither have had chances to finish. That suggests a real problem with creativity.

Ask Phil why Barney plays cameos?
Corr never was and never will be my idea of a forward
Coulthirst IMO doesn't deserve to be selected on what I have seen

Brown Layne and Williams should be given their chance!

3 games against teams who IMO will be fighting relegation or lower mid table and yet we managed 1 penalty and 1 long range strike,4 points from those 3 games is not good but even more concerning is just 1 goal from open play !

Yeah. All those goals and assists, who on earth does he think he is? And don't get me started on the hold-up play that relieves pressure from the back four, allowing us to put together a decent defensive record. Best to just get rid and play one of those three forwards without so much as 15 minutes of first team football between them.

Yeah. All those goals and assists, who on earth does he think he is? And don't get me started on the hold-up play that relieves pressure from the back four, allowing us to put together a decent defensive record. Best to just get rid and play one of those three forwards without so much as 15 minutes of first team football between them.

Football evolves and can you be certain those 3 untried players won't be good enough,What if one gets his chance and bangs them in for fun,Yet you prefer to go with the same old same old .

Football evolves and can you be certain those 3 untried players won't be good enough,What if one gets his chance and bangs them in for fun,Yet you prefer to go with the same old same old .

We've professional coaches and managers at the football club who've concluded that those three aren't ready yet, and I'm more than happy to take their word for it, at least for the time being. Football does evolve, but not at the pace you seem to suggest. There's absolutely no guarantee that chucking in any one - or two - of Brown, Layne or Williams would result in success. If anything, the evidence points towards the contrary being the far more likely outcome.

I've been a huge proponent of the youth development side of the football club, but there appears to be a certain element of romanticism that has enveloped it from the supporter side. People have attached fairytale ideals and seem to have got carried away with its success. Graduates are talked up with little to no basis or information, with huge things expected of them. Then there's the inevitable outrage when senior players are selected ahead of them while we drop points, with some claiming they would've changed the game despite never having seen them play.

Yes, we're doing well and Duncan and Co deserve all the praise and recognition they've received, but it's not La Masia. Players we offer contracts to are not guaranteed success and those that do well at a young level are nowhere near certain to replicate that success for the senior side. Duane Ofori Acheampong was a prime example of this... banged them in for fun when we won the Puma Youth Alliance, but couldn't find a professional deal for love nor money until very recently when he signed for Torquay. Youth development is not a perfect science.

When we signed both Layne and Brown, the message was they'd link up with the development squad until such a time that the coaching staff feel they are ready for first-team football. If they don't think that time has come yet, then who are you, I or anybody else without constant access to these players and those above them in the pecking order to decide otherwise?

Football's a risky business and in our position we simply have to be less risk averse than to plump our hopes on three hugely unproven footballers when we've other options.

Back