• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Yeah. All those goals and assists, who on earth does he think he is? And don't get me started on the hold-up play that relieves pressure from the back four, allowing us to put together a decent defensive record. Best to just get rid and play one of those three forwards without so much as 15 minutes of first team football between them.

I was at the Great Wakering game...Ellis Brown scored in sonething like the first 10 minutes....looked good and sharp..but was not given a great deal of time for the rest of preseason. Instead we gave a lot of time to a lot of trialists. ...that we never signed. Surely that would have been the best time to give them first team football?

My one real gripe at the moment - apart from the goal drought - is that Coulthirst ...another young an inexperienced player..is being given 'all the time in the world' to find his shooting feet. If he doesn't find them...it's to our expense. For every minute he is given It's a minute away from our own strikers finding their feet.

If he does find them and becomes prolific...he will - in my opinion - be recalled or loaned to a team in a higher league. Once again to our expense. (I don't believe he would have come to league 2 if he had better offers on the table)

If Brown needs something back to ensure that he picks the team fairly then I have a few photo's from Lee's stag do... :winking:

It will cost though!

We've professional coaches and managers at the football club who've concluded that those three aren't ready yet, and I'm more than happy to take their word for it, at least for the time being. Football does evolve, but not at the pace you seem to suggest. There's absolutely no guarantee that chucking in any one - or two - of Brown, Layne or Williams would result in success. If anything, the evidence points towards the contrary being the far more likely outcome.

I've been a huge proponent of the youth development side of the football club, but there appears to be a certain element of romanticism that has enveloped it from the supporter side. People have attached fairytale ideals and seem to have got carried away with its success. Graduates are talked up with little to no basis or information, with huge things expected of them. Then there's the inevitable outrage when senior players are selected ahead of them while we drop points, with some claiming they would've changed the game despite never having seen them play.

Yes, we're doing well and Duncan and Co deserve all the praise and recognition they've received, but it's not La Masia. Players we offer contracts to are not guaranteed success and those that do well at a young level are nowhere near certain to replicate that success for the senior side. Duane Ofori Acheampong was a prime example of this... banged them in for fun when we won the Puma Youth Alliance, but couldn't find a professional deal for love nor money until very recently when he signed for Torquay. Youth development is not a perfect science.

When we signed both Layne and Brown, the message was they'd link up with the development squad until such a time that the coaching staff feel they are ready for first-team football. If they don't think that time has come yet, then who are you, I or anybody else without constant access to these players and those above them in the pecking order to decide otherwise?

Football's a risky business and in our position we simply have to be less risk averse than to plump our hopes on three hugely unproven footballers when we've other options.

At no time have I suggested all 3 play at the same time BUT Phil has heaped praise on them yet will not give them a cameo as he does with other players.

If the chosen forwards were banging them in we would not be having this discussion,Remember the thread I started way back regarding our strikers where I stated they don't score enough what has changed?We still misfire in front of goal .

Phil alluded to the very fact we lacked pace in the final third and he added this season will be different,Phil has changed nothing because Corr still leads the line and guess what we are still misfiring in front of goal.

Coaching staff throughout time have often been Wrong about players thinking they won't make the grade and many times those players go on to become household names.

All of us including me can only watch from the sidelines and hope Phil gets it right and FWIW he is not far short of having an excellent league 2 team if he removes the shackles and allows them to play in numbers up the pitch.

I was at the Great Wakering game...Ellis Brown scored in sonething like the first 10 minutes....looked good and sharp..but was not given a great deal of time for the rest of preseason. Instead we gave a lot of time to a lot of trialists. ...that we never signed. Surely that would have been the best time to give them first team football?

My one real gripe at the moment - apart from the goal drought - is that Coulthirst ...another young an inexperienced player..is being given 'all the time in the world' to find his shooting feet. If he doesn't find them...it's to our expense. For every minute he is given It's a minute away from our own strikers finding their feet.

If he does find them and becomes prolific...he will - in my opinion - be recalled or loaned to a team in a higher league. Once again to our expense. (I don't believe he would have come to league 2 if he had better offers on the table)

Exactly and good points well made !

I cannot add nothing because you have covered everything.

When has that ever happened? I don't remember a player ever being recalled to be loaned out at a higher level.

Coulthirst might not have scored but his overall game is great. Management is very hard, it is all well and good saying that he is taking game time away from another player but it is all hypothetical saying another player would have done better. Easy to say with hindsight after a game.

Looking at pre season games, didn't Weston score in everyone he played? Playing against non league teams in a friendly is different to playing against league teams for points.

Phil alluded to the very fact we lacked pace in the final third and he added this season will be different,Phil has changed nothing because Corr still leads the line and guess what we are still misfiring in front of goal.

So he has added something (i.e. making changes), yet changed nothing at the same time?

Corr, the same bloke with 47 goals in 3 seasons with us, isn't good enough for someone who constantly claims recent goalscoring records matter for strikers.

So he has added something (i.e. making changes), yet changed nothing at the same time?

Corr, the same bloke with 47 goals in 3 seasons with us, isn't good enough for someone who constantly claims recent goalscoring records matter for strikers.

Corr's last 81 league appearances =18 goals which was vastly improved with his 5 in 6 during the business end of last season.

In the midst of all of the debate for or against blooding our young forwards, we need to remember one thing. PB and his coaching staff pick the team, in particular it is PB's final say. PB is our manager and there are no signs that anything is going to happen currently to change that. Ron appears to be content and he has a record of letting managers have a good go before altering things. With all that in mind lets not get too worked up about his selections this early in the season as it will not change a thing, apart from creating discontent with each other on SZ. By all means give a reasoned opinion, have the discussion, agree or disagree reasonably and then wait and see how things pan out before putting the boot in, or not, depending on results. The alternative is that this site will a very miserable place to post on.

Corr's last 81 league appearances =18 goals which was vastly improved with his 5 in 6 during the business end of last season.

Why only league? Oh because in his last 81 appearances he actually got 23 goals. Corr has 9 in his last 27 appearances while Assombalonga got 4 in his last 27 appearances with us. Easily to manipulate stats eh?

So you are saying that a player who got 5 in 6 at the end of last season doesn't deserve to be in the squad? Maybe if one of those youths come in and do the same then he should get dropped if he doesn't score in a few afterwards.

FWIW he is not far short of having an excellent league 2 team if he removes the shackles and allows them to play in numbers up the pitch.

So which is it, the players or the system? Because here you seem to suggest that it's Brown's defensive tactics that are preventing us from scoring goals, whereas elsewhere you suggest it's the fault of Corr and Barnard.

Your continued manipulation of statistics to suit your argument doesn't serve you well at all. It makes you look desperate to prove a point that doesn't really exist.

Yeah. All those goals and assists, who on earth does he think he is? And don't get me started on the hold-up play that relieves pressure from the back four, allowing us to put together a decent defensive record. Best to just get rid and play one of those three forwards without so much as 15 minutes of first team football between them.

I never used to rate Barry at all. I was wrong, you realise how important he is when he is out of the side and his goal return isn't bad for a guy in a front 3, he is also the guy others play off so 10-15 goals a season isn't bad. Shaq and Weston need to be getting at least 15 each but i'm confident they will. I don't see any problem with this side mounting a promtion challenge. Just to reiterrate I was wrong about Corr being rubbish, come mrsblue you can admit you were wrong too, if we are in the top 3 after 10 games will you do that for me?

Why only league? Oh because in his last 81 appearances he actually got 23 goals. Corr has 9 in his last 27 appearances while Assombalonga got 4 in his last 27 appearances with us. Easily to manipulate stats eh?

So you are saying that a player who got 5 in 6 at the end of last season doesn't deserve to be in the squad? Maybe if one of those youths come in and do the same then he should get dropped if he doesn't score in a few afterwards.

Cup goals are fine yet league goals are the gravy!

Defo 18 league goals with 1 from the spot so 17 from open play in 81 games.

I never used to rate Barry at all. I was wrong, you realise how important he is when he is out of the side and his goal return isn't bad for a guy in a front 3, he is also the guy others play off so 10-15 goals a season isn't bad. Shaq and Weston need to be getting at least 15 each but i'm confident they will. I don't see any problem with this side mounting a promtion challenge. Just to reiterrate I was wrong about Corr being rubbish, come mrsblue you can admit you were wrong too, if we are in the top 3 after 10 games will you do that for me?

Already stated if Barney and I shall add Corr score 15/20 either player I will grovel on here,Top 3 after 10 games is premature let's say top 3 after 20.

Cup goals are fine yet league goals are the gravy!

Defo 18 league goals with 1 from the spot so 17 from open play in 81 games.

So now penalties don't count? Does he have to do the hokey cokey for the goal to count as well?

Already stated if Barney and I shall add Corr score 15/20 either player I will grovel on here,Top 3 after 10 games is premature let's say top 3 after 20.

10 games is premature yet 4 games isn't?

Ten games is too early to be issuing praise, but four games is ample time to be pouring scorn.

So now penalties don't count? Does he have to do the hokey cokey for the goal to count as well?

10 games is premature yet 4 games isn't?

Is Corr two footed? if you're going to introduce the Hokey Cokey into this argument he will need to be otherwise he won't be able to shake it all about.

Ten games is too early to be issuing praise, but four games is ample time to be pouring scorn.

I doubt very much if anyone on here cares about me grovelling yet everyone on here cares if we get out of this awful division.

So 4 games in I think I have given valid points.

I doubt very much if anyone on here cares about me grovelling yet everyone on here cares if we get out of this awful division.

So 4 games in I think I have given valid points.

I think you'd be surprised! You have become quite the personality on here as far as I can see. Plus we all know the players love a glance on here, reckon they'd love an acknowledgement that after 20 games even you had been won over :smile:

Back