• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Battle Of The SUFC Legends - Semi Finals - Chris Powell vs Steve Tilson

Who is more of an SUFC legend?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This should have been the final.
Sack the person who made this draw!
It was random! When I picked out Stan Collymore I was praying for 1 of these 2 but it was Kevin Maher which was annoying! This would be a worthy final but let's be honest, it basically is the final because whoever wins this will beat Stan.

Agreed its a hard call Lib .. its looking like a Stanley vs Tilly final

On the pitch its Stan, no question .. but if you were to ask me who is a bigger SUFC legend then Tilly wins

Clarification please manor/Drastic
It's a bigger SUFC legend as in their contribution to the club, effort, time, etc.
Stan woud win easily if it was the best player but it is who is the greatest SUFC legend so Tilly's managerial spell would contribute to your decision but then again you have to decide yourself as I'm sure Chris would love to manage here 1 day if he was interested so you have to take in to account the opportunities they have had as well.

So tough but I cant see anyone other than Tilly winning this. Powell was fantastic over a number of years but once he left that was it. Tilly was good as a player and great as a manager.
Remember that Tilly had the opportunity to be manager, Chrissy still has plenty of time to come back and do exactly what Tilly has done as manager so I think it would be unfair to vote for Tilly just because Chris left and hasn't come back... yet

It's a bigger SUFC legend as in their contribution to the club, effort, time, etc.
Stan woud win easily if it was the best player but it is who is the greatest SUFC legend so Tilly's managerial spell would contribute to your decision but then again you have to decide yourself as I'm sure Chris would love to manage here 1 day if he was interested so you have to take in to account the opportunities they have had as well.

I was under the impression when it started that it was which PLAYER was the bigger legend. Otherwise Im sure the likes of Sid Broomfield, Dave Webb, Alvin Martin etc would have got a mention......

If it was basing it on playing career alone then Chris Powell would win this one for me.

Last edited:
I guess it's up to you for what you think makes a legend

Player was the basis on which the contest was started.

To my mind, including Tilly's managerial accomplishments gives him an unfair advantage.

It is difficult to get people to seperate his playing & managerial career however, there is no doubt Tilly is a legend. Even if it had been made clearer alot of people would still have voted Tilly because of what he's done as a manager.

Powell is the more legendary player in my book though.

LOL ... so we have the instigator and the runner of this Battle with differing views of what we are voting for

Only at Southend :D :D

I guess it's up to you for what you think makes a legend

Er, I think you are missing the point.....people are happy to decide what makes a legend but it would be more useful for you to clarify the criteria.....is it biggest legend as a player, or biggest legend as a contributor to Southend?

I thought initially it was as a player. In which case Tilly for his 9 years service would be a worthy entrant but purely on playing lets not forget he had a couple of spells when he was (rightfully) out of favour and really his career would be similar to that of maybe someone like Maher, if that. Playing career wise Powell would be ahead in legendary status.

If its connected to management and club service as well then the likes of Dave Webb should be included. That they were not suggests people viewed this just on playing wise, in which case Tilly's management would be discarded!

My head hurts.

Er, I think you are missing the point.....people are happy to decide what makes a legend but it would be more useful for you to clarify the criteria.....is it biggest legend as a player, or biggest legend as a contributor to Southend?
I would say as a contributor to Southend BUT as nominations were for players then the biggest legend as a player.

LOL ... so we have the instigator and the runner of this Battle with differing views of what we are voting for

Only at Southend :D :D

If I was one of the more cynical posters I'd make a point about this being similar to how the club is run.

But I'm not, so I won't. ;)

[adopts tin hat, ducks and covers]

If I was one of the more cynical posters I'd make a point about this being similar to how the club is run.

But I'm not, so I won't. ;)

[adopts tin hat, ducks and covers]

Ahh so my intended point did indeed ring true with someone then ;)

Have you and manor got together and definately decided its playing skills only on this, sorry to keep going on about the same thing but i'm afraid both you and he do seem a little ambiguous in your answers

I'd have looked at it as they had to be a player, or ex player, to qualify for this tournament, but once qualified the criteria for legend would be all aspects of their career.

Had Tilly been our greatest legend as a player, but gone on to successfully manages the farmhands, then surely he'd lose points for that. likewise had David Webb playes for us, and not Orient, he'd have qualified too.

Guess it's down to personal opinion really

Ahh so my intended point did indeed ring true with someone then ;)

Have you and manor got together and definately decided its playing skills only on this, sorry to keep going on about the same thing but i'm afraid both you and he do seem a little ambiguous in your answers

Well when i suggested the comp I said players only. It is however manor15 who is running it though so it's his decision.

Back