• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Firestorm

Pedant
Ok, what is the best gig you have been to.

Unfortunately I can't put just one.....

The Jam Rainbow Finsbury 1979 a cracking gig topped off by a sea of mods singing all the way back on the tube (The venue was a bit bigger than I prefer)

The Undertones, Marquee 1979, Small , Sweaty and packed full of energy (Mind you the support (i can't remember whether it was 57 men or the Donkeys) were cack !)

March of The Mods tour August Bank Holiday Sunday 1979 Lyceum
Secret Affair, Purple Hearts, Back to Zero, Selector, Madness and the Mo-dettes all for £3.20 !

Wannadies, Reading Alleycat, May 1997 (tiny venue, was right at the front, £46 to get in)

British Sea Power, Shepherd's Bush Empire, April 2004 (one of the band dressed up like a giant bear and fought with one of the guitarists. What more could you want?)

Supergrass, Shepherd's Bush Empire, May 2004 (every single song a belter and a really tight performance)

Pulp at Wembley Arena in 1996. It was about a week after Jarvis did the whole Michael Jackson arse thing on stage and it was just an awesome performance. If festival performances count then The Vines and The Libertines at Reading in 2002 were pretty special. The Vines ripped their way through Highly Evolved in a packed Radio 1 tent and were a riotous joy (shame their second album was nowhere near as good). The Libs came on first on the Saturday also on the Radio 1 stage if i remember correctly and there was hardly anybody there (they were pretty much unknown at the time). They blew everybody that turned up away and Pete Doherty and Carl Barat ended the set with a full-on punch up during their last song. Everyone stood there with jaws on the floor.
Also, Idlewild at Brixton, Christmas 2002. However, that's four gigs so i'm cheating a little. I couldn't pick one from those four though.

I can't just pick one - so I'm going with 4:

Sting, Ephesus, May 1993. The last concert ever to be played in the Greek amphitheatre of Ephesus, Turkey. 30,000 crammed in, and the best backdrop ever - the sun dipping into the Aegean. Awesome. Not bad for the first concert I'd ever been to.

Outside, Jazz Cafe NW1, 23 July 1998. Not a well-known band outside the jazz-funk circles, but probably my favourite band of the late 1990s. 1998 was a bumper year for them - they played Glastonbury, Montreux and then the Jazz Cafe. To see them live, close up, and then to meet them afterwards was simply amazing - and anyone who has heard the track "Remembrance" (about which I had a decent chat with Everton Nelson, Outside's guest violinist) will know that theirs was a special talent which deserved to be heard more widely.

Roby Lakatos, 15 June 2000, Ronnie Scott's. Lakatos's first gig in England; and, boy, what an entrance. Menuhin meets Grappelli, washed down with a couple of bottles of Tokaji and a large goulash. Unbelievable in his truest sense... his violin fretwork quite simply defied comprehension, such was its speed. My eyes simply couldn't comprehend what I was seeing. I was mesmerised for 3 hours. One of the few gigs ever to be given 5* in every broadsheet review of it.

Coldplay. Crystal Palace, 27 June 2005. Probably the biggest concert I've been too... and one of the best. Superb atmosphere, superb performances, and a whirlwind tour of all their greatest hits, which made for a fantastic, joyous night. The fact that Supergrass were the support band was truly the icing on the cake.

Manics, Astoria, Dec 94 - touring the 'Holy Bible' album, at the top of their game when they wore Army surplus and every song seemed to last about 2 minutes. Smashed all their equipment up at the end and threw it in the crowd, superb.

Supergrass, Shepherds Bush Empire, Jan 98. Just a great set - hard to believe they only had 2 albums out at the time.

I'm going to have to plump for two from recent memory:

1) For pure entertainment: The Dillinger Escape Plan - C********r Arts Centre, 2003, Reading festival August 2004. The most technically proficient band I've ever seen, classically trained jazz musicians playing some of the most extreme metal known to man. The time changes in the "songs" are a wonder to behold. They're also the most energetic band I've seen.

2) For sound quality and the fact that it was a bit unusual: Cypress Hill - Highbury Garage, 2004. A secret warm up show for their European Tour. To see such a great band in such a small venue was amazing & I don't even like hip hop!

Gav

No contest here...
South Park, Oxford July 2002 - Radiohead. Supported by Beck, Supergrass and the mighty Sigur Ros.
Radiohead homecoming show. Absolutely pelted it down with rain near the end. No-one cared. Doubt I'll see another show like it anywhere. And I've seen a few.
Don't normally like big gigs, but that was special.

Can I add one.

Slade at the Kursaal , 1974 (I think) First gig right at the front and I got on the front page of the Echo (I think it was their first ever colour front page as well)

1) Oasis at The Army and Navy in Chelmsford very early 1994. It was monumental - the swagger the band had back then was simply awesome.

2) Elastica a few months later, again at The A&N. They blew my socks off!

3) Spiritualized at The Pink Toothbrush - July 1991 and at Glasto 93 the closing act on the NME stage on the Sunday night. Two very different gigs. One extremely intense night and the other an epic affair with the most fantabulous fireworks I have ever seen (the medicine probably had an extra effect at the firework visuals that night tho  
biggrin.gif
)

Queen - Wembley Stadium July 86.

The 1st and best concert I have seen, supported by a very young INXS, who were crap, The Alarm who were OK and Status Quo who were surprisingly good. However none of them could match Freddie and the boys, who played a superb set of old and new tracks.

It was the Magic tour and it was a magic concert...
smile.gif

Madness Wembly 2003

Fantastic night, 12000 fans up dancing and singing all night, Suggs was brilliant.

Bad Manners, Chinnerys, Southend 2004

Tiny venue, packed to the rafters, was a good laugh.

Oasis Saturday 9th July 2005

WILL BE THE BEST GIG !! And Babyshambles are supporting

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimper James @ June 29 2005,10:50)]Pulp at Wembley Arena in 1996. It was about a week after Jarvis did the whole Michael Jackson arse thing on stage and it was just an awesome performance.
I was there too & a great gig it was, although this isn't my all-time best Pulp performance.

That either has to be the 1st time I saw them at Glastonbury 95 (who cared they were last minute replacements for the Roses) or the last time at Glasgow Gig on the Green 02 (the only time they ever played Joyriders live in the 20 or so times I saw them).

RIP Pulp
sad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Leeboy @ June 29 2005,11:15)]Manics, Astoria, Dec 94 - touring the 'Holy Bible' album, at the top of their game when they wore Army surplus and every song seemed to last about 2 minutes. Smashed all their equipment up at the end and threw it in the crowd, superb.
If they ever invent time travel in my lifetime, I going back to THAT gig!  The only times I've ever seen the Manics, it was post Richey & so although good, not what it could have been.

Also, would have loved to have witnessed the Pistols in 77 & Joy Division in 79, both in their prime.

Another gig that springs to mind for me was Travis at the London Astoria, summer of 99. This was a fan-club only gig that was being broadcast live to Japan. Totally amazing set by a band who knew that the big-time was just a step away. I'd never managed to see any footage of this until I got hold of the Travis greatest hits DVD & on the "Memories" section you can see me & the missus down the front going mental to Driftwood!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ June 29 2005,12:03)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimper James @ June 29 2005,10:50)]Pulp at Wembley Arena in 1996. It was about a week after Jarvis did the whole Michael Jackson arse thing on stage and it was just an awesome performance.
I was there too & a great gig it was, although this isn't my all-time best Pulp performance.

That either has to be the 1st time I saw them at Glastonbury 95 (who cared they were last minute replacements for the Roses) or the last time at Glasgow Gig on the Green 02 (the only time they ever played Joyriders live in the 20 or so times I saw them).

RIP Pulp  
sad.gif
20 or so times? That's cracking.
I loved them, still do. His 'n Hers is just the dogs b*****s! They were the first proper band i got into back in the mid nineties when i was just maturing as a teenager (i was 14 in 1996 so it was probably my first proper gig as well). I only had the pleasure of seeing them twice. But both times they were magnificant.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimper James @ June 29 2005,12:21)]
[b said:
[b said:

RIP Pulp  
sad.gif
I loved them, still do. His 'n Hers is just the dogs b*****s! They were the first proper band i got into back in the mid nineties when i was just maturing as a teenager (i was 14 in 1996 so it was probably my first proper gig as well). I only had the pleasure of seeing them twice. But both times they were magnificant.
I was totally Pulp obsessed & still am really to be honest.

Whenever they used to announce an arena tour I'd probably go to at least 3 of the gigs. I loved it though when their flame dimmed a bit and they went back to playing smaller venues, seeing them in the legendary Glasgow Barrowlands was also a top night (that was around the time We Love Life came out).

Also, I finally got to meet Jarv when him and Steve (the bass-player) were DJing. I got a bit tongue-tied though & probably ended up looking like a complete tool!

I can actually hear a bit of Pulp influence in a whole variety of current bands, The Magic Numbers & strangely enough Razorlight spring to mind.

When you see Brett Anderson & Bernard Butler have patched up their differences, it gives me hope that one day we'll see a Pulp reunion, Russell Senior included!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ June 29 2005,12:29)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimper James @ June 29 2005,12:21)]
[b said:
[b said:

RIP Pulp  
sad.gif
I was totally Pulp obsessed & still am really to be honest.

Whenever they used to announce an arena tour I'd probably go to at least 3 of the gigs.  I loved it though when their flame dimmed a bit and they went back to playing smaller venues, seeing them in the legendary Glasgow Barrowlands was also a top night (that was around the time We Love Life came out).

Also, I finally got to meet Jarv when him and Steve (the bass-player) were DJing.  I got a bit tongue-tied though & probably ended up looking like a complete tool!

I can actually hear a bit of Pulp influence in a whole variety of current bands, The Magic Numbers & strangely enough Razorlight spring to mind.

When you see Brett Anderson & Bernard Butler have patched up their differences, it gives me hope that one day we'll see a Pulp reunion, Russell Senior included!
I totally agree with your last two sentiments there glasgowsufc. An amazing band that are sorely missed.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (keefmoon @ June 29 2005,11:36)]No contest here...
South Park, Oxford July 2002 - Radiohead. Supported by Beck, Supergrass and the mighty Sigur Ros.
Radiohead homecoming show. Absolutely pelted it down with rain near the end. No-one cared. Doubt I'll see another show like it anywhere. And I've seen a few.
Don't normally like big gigs, but that was special.
My little sis went to that one - she still talks about it. Sounds like a belter.

Matt

New Fast Automatic Daffodils- Pink Toothbrush December 1990
Happy Mondays- Town and Country Club November 1989
Stone Roses- Spike Island 27 May 1990
Guru Josh- Live PA at Raindance, Barking April 1991 (just kidding)

The Pixies- Cliffs Pavillion April 1989

Back