• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (N'Zamba Legend @ June 29 2005,16:59)]Another good gig was Campag Velocet at 100 club in February 98. Bon Chic Bon Genre
Campag Velocet my god thats a blast from the past. Appparently the whole bon chic thing was solely devised by the NME to create a new movement as 98 was quite a stale time.

An NME writer was 'encouraged' to start the band Campag Velocet add more power to NME's new movement and was hailed as the the next big thing.

They did exactly the same thing in 94 with 'New wave of the new wave' movement (NWotNW).

Anyhoo - wish I'd seen The Falls gig at Chinnerys. I saw them do their stuff in the early nineties at a gig in Salford. It was hilarious, Mark E Smith should be knighted!

Can't believe no-one has mentioned the mighty Ocean Colour Scene live at the Cliffs yet.

Ron Manager where are you?

my fave was franz ferdinand at brixton late last year. i wasnt a huge fan but was by the end. seeing them perform on tv doesnt do them justice. meatloaf was also a bit of a laugh if over the top theatrics and 15 minute songs is your thing. unfortunately its not my thing and i was bored.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Leeboy @ June 29 2005,14:31)]if you're talking 'local' gigs then The Esplanade was the nuts during the 90's, as Ron Manager will testify.
Oh yes, the Esplanade.. Gene there were magnificent...  other amazing gigs, christ, so many to choose from...

Blur with support from Pulp at Ally Pally

Senseless Things at The Astoria

Wannadies at the Water Rats (they sang a song for me for my birthday)

Pixies supported by Ride and Cud at Crystal Palace

Curve at the Falcon in Camden..

Just a few highlights, and I have no idea what years most of them were.

Worst gig ever - The Coral at the Astoria a few years back, to this date, the only gig I've ever walked out of.

Oasis at Cliffs Pavillion (the one filmed for 'Live By The Sea') was pretty special.

Primal Scream at The Esplanade was amazing too, Bobby Gillespie totally wired and walking off stage every few songs for a quick *ahem* refresher.

The other one that really sticks in my mind is seeing Ultrasound at an NME battle of the bands in Camden Dingwalls on a Saturday lunchtime and being totally blown away by this strange noise and big, fat but totally charismatic frontman. They should have been massive and for a while it looked like they would but they took forever to get the album out and overcooked it into a bit of a prog-fest double album. The singles however were fantastic and the gigs never disapointed, but that first one was like being hit by a juggernaut and I will never forget it.

Campag were definately genuine. My mate's brother was the guitarist and the band had been going for ages prior to being in the NME. I'm also sure that none of the band has ever written for the NME. Both albums are superb though.

Did anyone see MBV or House of Love at the Toothbrush in 88? Both of those would have been something special.

I saw Carter usm at the brush after they lost thier record deal. Only thing is they had a drummer this time round instead of a drum machine and they were nowhere as good as they used to be!

30 Something! What an album!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Rahsaan Patterson - Jazz Cafe 2004

wanted to see him- shame I missed that. Want to see John Legend at some point.

he was superb, I had been a fan for some time, saw supporting Incognito earlier in the year, and when the Jazz Cafe gig came about I had to attend.

I also missed the John Legend gigs earlier in the year, he is defianatly on on list.

these are 2 of the real stars of RNB, forget all that rap stuff, get into these 2 guys.

If you are into Funk Legends, The Fatback Band will be at The Palace Theatre at the end of July, and Southend Number One Musician Snowboy & The Latin Set are in The Maritime Rooms as well

Seeing the cult at a secret gig in the Marquee at the height of their success.

Or Iron Maiden in the ruskin arms. It was weird.

Oasis the first time they played Earls Court

Ramones at Brixton.

The Levellers at a hippy commune in LLanfllagllen (or something spelt like that).

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Greenelk @ June 29 2005,20:20)]Worst gig ever - The Coral at the Astoria a few years back, to this date, the only gig I've ever walked out of.
Blimey - how come it was such a stinker?  The ensemble-style of their videos seeks to create the impression that they are essentially a live act who do a few recordings... so what went wrong?

wow.gif

rock.gif

Worst gig... the "Don't Give Up Rwanda" event at the Brixton Academy in 94-95 at some point.  Poorly organised, poorly advertised, half-empty, and as for the performers... other than Gil Scott-Heron, who did a good set, and an African Choir who were a bit different... well, there was China White, who bordered on the surreal; and then Jamiroquai, who were plainly and simply sh*te.

It transpired that Jay Kay - who appeared to be at least three sheets to the wind on stage, and we're not necessarily talking booze here - had had a massive row with about half his horn section before walking on stage.  I can tell you, "Too Young To Die" with only one trumpet and a wailing, semi-catatonic Kay, sounds pretty bloody crap.

suspect.gif

oops.gif

Alas, it's put me right off him ever since, which is a shame (given how good his albums were in the early 90s).

sad.gif

Worst gig?

Daisy Chainsaw supported by Sheep on Drugs.

Manchester University students union 1993.

I only went because I had a free ticket.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ June 30 2005,12:23)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Greenelk @ June 29 2005,20:20)]Worst gig ever - The Coral at the Astoria a few years back, to this date, the only gig I've ever walked out of.
Blimey - how come it was such a stinker?  The ensemble-style of their videos seeks to create the impression that they are essentially a live act who do a few recordings... so what went wrong?

wow.gif

rock.gif
From what other people have said to me, they seem to be a band that are either brilliant live, or utter cack, with very little inbetween.

When I saw them, they just didn't seem interested, no passion at all, just going through the motions.  They even managed to make "Dreaming Of You" sound drab.

Worst Gig ?

Rod Stewart at wembley Arena . Went with the first wife......

The Runaways at UWIST student Union 1976 Although the support , Graham Parker and the Rumour were good.

As , no doubt we have all seen poor support bands, what about supports who have really made it since.

Madness (Motm August 1979)
Graham Parker (see above)
The Vicars ,Supporting the Damned at Crocs in Rayleigh. (The Lead singer of the Vicars was Alison Moyet)

Joan Armatrading supported Supertramp at the Kursaal in '75

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ June 30 2005,12:23)]
[b said:
Blimey - how come it was such a stinker? The ensemble-style of their videos seeks to create the impression that they are essentially a live act who do a few recordings... so what went wrong?

wow.gif
rock.gif
I'm with Greenelk here. They were shockingly unentertaining when I saw them in Portsmouth and I may as well have stuck a heater, some sweaty people and a stereo in a room for a lot less money.

Honestly, they were poor. They were a bit better at V when I saw them but this was pretty hot off the back of the first album so you'd hope so.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ June 30 2005,14:46)]I'm with Greenelk here.  They were shockingly unentertaining when I saw them in Portsmouth
Ooh, that's reminded me... weirdest gig venue: a civic swimming pool in Portsmouth. Bizarre.

Superb gig, though - went to see The Divine Comedy... Hanlon is a superb stage performer.

biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Firestorm @ June 30 2005,13:28)]what about supports who have really made it since?
Travis... saw them in '97, just before they broke through big-time.

In the jazz world, Lianne Carroll - who used to be booked at Ronnie's as the warm-up act, but now gets booked as the main event - and for good reason...

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Firestorm @ June 30 2005,13:28)]The Runaways at UWIST student Union 1976 Although the support , Graham Parker and the Rumour were good.
That said they looked gorgeous and I suppose a very young Joan Jett wasn't too bad

My best gig was when I saw Slayer at the Astoria in London, abaolutely kicked ***! I split my head open during the first song of their set and about an hour later I was dragged out of the pit by about 4 security guys!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ June 30 2005,16:01)]Ooh, that's reminded me... weirdest gig venue: a civic swimming pool in Portsmouth. Bizarre
Sounds like the Pyramid Centre. I was going to see The Darkness there but they cancelled due to Justin having a sore throat or some rubbish.

Have to admit I did have to double take when someone pointed out where the venue was!

Back