• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Good news, think he has an ability to bring others into the game and has a decent cross. Think he'll be on the bench most of the season though.

Well if it is a month to month contract, then its not exactly a ringing endorsement of Sturrock seniors position at the club.The fact that he's signed it, proves to me that he knows that no one else would be interested.He also knows that everyone else knows.
Not a good signing.

To be honest, I feel that Blair wouldn't be with the club if it wasn't for PS. We need to look at players who can push this club forwards into at least League 1. I can't see how keeping Blair will help us with this aim. With Corr, Harris and another possible striker being signed, it looks as if Blair will be a 4th choice striker (with Crawford and Asante a close 5th and 6th choice). I know he can play behind the strikers but with the signing on N'Diaye today and with a strong midfield of Grant, Sawyer, Hall, Ferdinand (and Easton at the moment), I can't see Blair getting any more than 10 minutes every other game.

To be honest, I feel that Blair wouldn't be with the club if it wasn't for PS. We need to look at players who can push this club forwards into at least League 1. I can't see how keeping Blair will help us with this aim. With Corr, Harris and another possible striker being signed, it looks as if Blair will be a 4th choice striker (with Crawford and Asante a close 5th and 6th choice). I know he can play behind the strikers but with the signing on N'Diaye today and with a strong midfield of Grant, Sawyer, Hall, Ferdinand (and Easton at the moment), I can't see Blair getting any more than 10 minutes every other game.

So in your own words Blair is in front of Crawford and Asante in the pecking order,so shouldn't we be offloading those two before Blair?

This seems fine to me. I think this recognises that in certain circumstances he will have a role to play, so glad he is here on cheaper short-term salary. Were games last year (home game v Stevenage) where we were better when he came on. So worth keeping. Clearly not first choice (and Sturrock Snr tried to replace him with German/Midson/Fairhurst/Jarvis/Crawford last year so he didn't pretend he was perfect) but will have a role sometimes.

Sturrock Snr tried to replace him with German/Midson/Fairhurst/Jarvis/Crawford last year so he didn't pretend he was perfect.

And was that the best he could do.Those players are pretty ordinary. Didn't try hard enough last season ,to get in quality front players. How the hell were we going to get promoted when Blair plays in 38 games.

So in your own words Blair is in front of Crawford and Asante in the pecking order,so shouldn't we be offloading those two before Blair?

Yes, at this moment in time I would say he is above both of them. But looking into the future, Crawford and Asante are young and talented. Once they gain more experience they will develop into better players. Look at the past when we have offloaded players such as Kightley. We need to keep players like that for the future.

Are they young and talented or just young? We do seem to think that anyone who comes through our youth team is pretty good.

Why did they have to put up his stats of 6 goals in 50 appearances?!

I would think almost any forward in L2 could return the same level. He is a clever player but he is really not up to standards in my eyes. Pleased for PS to have his son around but for me this is a poor move.

Are they young and talented or just young? We do seem to think that anyone who comes through our youth team is pretty good.

Personally cant judge Asante as never really seen him. I think Crawford has really got to improve this season or I can see a drop into the non leagues as at the moment he hasnt really done a lot.

I would think almost any forward in L2 could return the same level. He is a clever player but he is really not up to standards in my eyes. Pleased for PS to have his son around but for me this is a poor move.

Yes at least the club have kept PS happy but it just doesn't feel like the right way to go about things to me.

Yes at least the club have kept PS happy but it just doesn't feel like the right way to go about things to me.

I can't disagree with you John, but there's plenty of examples in football where managers have "made" a career for their sons, Ferguson being a prime example before he finally sold Darren. And I saw the other day that Martin Allen has taken his son with him to Notts County. Having said that Martin Allen is a ****.

Personally cant judge Asante as never really seen him. I think Crawford has really got to improve this season or I can see a drop into the non leagues as at the moment he hasnt really done a lot.

Agreed, and from my point of view both blair and crawford had chances in the side to prove that there we were worth keeping. Both in my eyes did very little and should have been freed up to help fund better players.

What we really need to do is offload paterson as he he still has a year to run and is one of the big earners. For me both him and crawford looked great in the cup against a poor barnet side , but that partnership never got a chance.

Would rather use the combined wage of blair pato and crawford of around 3k to bring in class act as all three will be doing naff all next season.

Agreed, and from my point of view both blair and crawford had chances in the side to prove that there we were worth keeping. Both in my eyes did very little and should have been freed up to help fund better players.

What we really need to do is offload paterson as he he still has a year to run and is one of the big earners. For me both him and crawford looked great in the cup against a poor barnet side , but that partnership never got a chance.

Would rather use the combined wage of blair pato and crawford of around 3k to bring in class act as all three will be doing naff all next season.

To be honest though, are we really going to be able to have 2 better strikers than Harry and Blair (who I think can do a job) with Corr and Neil Harris on board? It's impossible to find 4 great players in this division especially when we probably have 2 of the best now in Corr and Harris.
If you were a striker looking for a club, would you really fancy coming to Southend? Especially as you see Neil Harris's record and Barry Corr's goals last season. Not happening, is it? Ofcourse we'd like better players, but let's remember who we are for a second.

Okay you could get rid of Blair, Crawford and Pato and buy a new winger, but then we also need two more strikers.

You get my point.

Atleast we've got a squad with players that all offer something different!

Back