• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Blondy Nna Noukeu signs on Loan

It's an entertainment business,do u turn up Saturday to watch the admin staff?? I said it's terrible they arent getting paid but im a supporter and its what happens on the pitch that matters.

Without the admin staff, happenings on the pitch don’t happen. The going ons off the pitch on a daily basis are vitally important and make the games possible to play.

Your last couple of posts somewhat sum your constant contribution of utter dribble over the years on this forum that have become rather tiresome.

This signing will help the training for Collin and when cup starts.
Is it 7 named subs for FA Cup? 5 for Vase?

Whatever the new man's pedigree, we needed back-up.
For once, we got lucky no outfielder needed to pull on the keeper's shirt during a game.

But who drops off the bench to make way for a sub keeper? I don't think Collin consistently made the bench did he? So maybe we continue with no sub keeper. 'spare' keeper is to step and in and be familiar with defence for suspension or injury?

I think our fans forget Oxley almost single-handedly kept us in league one before we eventually went down. He was one the best in the division that season.
He was arguably THE best in the division. He had a PHENOMENAL season. Problem was every other year he had here was full of mistakes and poor displays. In the end it was a relief when he left. Don’t think I’ve ever seen such a massive drop-off in performance from a single player.

The poor guy had a lot to deal with off the pitch with both his and her parents who werent local having torrid health problems resulting in losses. These things rightly dont get taken into consideration when assessing a players game day performance and with the best will in the world, although they can be blocked out to focus on performance, Im sure it must affect things in his focus somehow.
I liked him as a bloke, his family were very nice too, and I thought he had some great spells with us. He was quite dedicated and demonstrated this by not renting but by buying a house around the shenfield area, before having to go back north to family and selling up.
Made a few howlers and took a lot of stick and thats part and parcel of it I guess.

Steve Arnold is the difference between play offs and mid table.....can we find out if this is career ending....far more important than getting the L'Oreal hair model back?

My two pence on this is I think Steve has probably had this back issue most of his career. It's clear for all to see, ability wise he's a league one/Champ level easily but he's not got a huge amount of games under his belt.

He will probably have to decide to carry on and face chronic issues now and then or maybe time to pack it in. Either way it's not ideal for the poor chap, hopefully, it is something that can be sorted as he seems a very genuine chap and clearly a great player for this level

But who drops off the bench to make way for a sub keeper? I don't think Collin consistently made the bench did he? So maybe we continue with no sub keeper. 'spare' keeper is to step and in and be familiar with defence for suspension or injury?
Yes and no.
The bench on Saturday contained two much the same: Bridge and Powell. The same as in positional.
Quality? Others can decide.
There was one defender: Demi, and a holding midfielder in Fonguck.
Demi can also play defensive midfielder, not very well, maybe, but he's adaptable.
I'm hoping Collin is never injured in the warm-up as Steve was, because I'd be seriously impressed if our defence held out for 90 minutes plus with an outfielder between the sticks.
In fact, I'll go further and say pretty much no one in the NL would fail to score in just one half without a real keeper.
Also, it would upset the balance of the team if you take out an outfielder and stick him in goal.
Frankly, it's a gamble.

Yes and no.
The bench on Saturday contained two much the same: Bridge and Powell. The same as in positional.
Quality? Others can decide.
There was one defender: Demi, and a holding midfielder in Fonguck.
Demi can also play defensive midfielder, not very well, maybe, but he's adaptable.
I'm hoping Collin is never injured in the warm-up as Steve was, because I'd be seriously impressed if our defence held out for 90 minutes plus with an outfielder between the sticks.
In fact, I'll go further and say pretty much no one in the NL would fail to score in just one half without a real keeper.
Also, it would upset the balance of the team if you take out an outfielder and stick him in goal.
Frankly, it's a gamble.
Eh? Fonguck isn’t an holding midfielder.

If a player is injured in the warm-up then someone else comes into the squad. We’ve seen it several times with Clifford over the last few seasons.

I’ve been watching football for over 30 years and I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Southend game when the result has changed because the keeper was injured during the game. We won v Boston with Tes in goal. We were already losing v. Notts County when Demi went in goal. When Sammy was sent off v Middlesbrough and Tilly went in goal the decisive moment was the penalty, not the outfielder going in goal. I remember a game v Charlton when Steve Brown went in goal, ended a draw. So this is basically seems like a less than once in thirty year event that you want to use a place on the bench for.

If a player is injured in the warm-up then someone else comes into the squad. We’ve seen it several times with Clifford over the last few seasons.

I’ve been watching football for over 30 years and I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Southend game when the result has changed because the keeper was injured during the game. We won v Boston with Tes in goal. We were already losing v. Notts County when Demi went in goal. When Sammy was sent off v Middlesbrough and Tilly went in goal the decisive moment was the penalty, not the outfielder going in goal. I remember a game v Charlton when Steve Brown went in goal, ended a draw. So this is basically seems like a less than once in thirty year event that you want to use a place on the bench for.
Genuine question - anyone remember what the result was when 'Spud' Taylor went in goal ?

"I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Southend game when the result has changed because the keeper was injured during the game.'

Simple thing is we'll never know.

Would a keeper have saved the pen? Would the draws have ended in wins with a pukka shot-stopper etc? You get the idea.

The point is do we want to gamble without a spare? Kev doesn't want to any longer. Hence, the new arrival.

I've had a cursory look at the weekend's EFL fixtures, and I can't find any team without a bench keeper. There may be one/some, I've missed, but I can't be arsed to run a forensic check.
If so many teams think a second keeper is needed for match days, they think it DOES make a difference.

"I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Southend game when the result has changed because the keeper was injured during the game.'

Simple thing is we'll never know.

Would a keeper have saved the pen? Would the draws have ended in wins with a pukka shot-stopper etc? You get the idea.

The point is do we want to gamble without a spare? Kev doesn't want to any longer. Hence, the new arrival.

I've had a cursory look at the weekend's EFL fixtures, and I can't find any team without a bench keeper. There may be one/some, I've missed, but I can't be arsed to run a forensic check.
If so many teams think a second keeper is needed for match days, they think it DOES make a difference.
I still have strong memories of Luggy subbing Smithy and bringing Daniel Bentley on for penalties. Not exactly relevant but the first thing that came to mind when I read the post.

I still have strong memories of Luggy subbing Smithy and bringing Daniel Bentley on for penalties. Not exactly relevant but the first thing that came to mind when I read the post.
Yes, at Oxford in an EFL Trophy game? All the more reason to have a second keeper handy.

Reactions: RHB
Back