• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I doubt we can afford any fees so the rumours about strengthening in January will not come true. I fear a long second half of this season is on the cards.

It could mean that Grant is staying! If, for arguments sake Grant had been told he has to leave if an offer comes for him, then we may have pursued Josh Simson as central midfield cover. I think that is Simson's best position, he is wasted out wide.

So this could mean we keep Grant, and do not pursue Simson (about which I would be happy)

I doubt we can afford any fees so the rumours about strengthening in January will not come true. I fear a long second half of this season is on the cards.

Common sense and logic from the West Stand Blue

- we have no money, our chairman has become totally mute (and he does seem to like the sound of his own voice) so where will any money to buy new players come from - any incoming fees will merely be used to service the debt!!

Let's hope that Sturrock pulls some magic out in the long term loan market!!

Could it mean a return for Timlin? He is a Sturrock player and if Simpson is no longer on the radar then he'd be the most likely to return in my book.

So, if we can't afford to sign him, you're lambasting RM for not signing him?

There's no logic in that whatsoever.

Yep, when did Ron Martin ever gamble with anything other than our future. I suggest that if he had put a bit more gambling into the team then maybe we would not be in the ***** that we are now. Josh Simpson is potential quality in this makeshift team and needs to be kept as does Grant, Moshni etc. otherwise bottom four is a certainty!

.......but in a very average team he is allowed to blow hot and cold as the ones in reserve are poor to sh it!

Yep, when did Ron Martin ever gamble with anything other than our future. I suggest that if he had put a bit more gambling into the team then maybe we would not be in the ***** that we are now. Josh Simpson is potential quality in this makeshift team and needs to be kept as does Grant, Moshni etc. otherwise bottom four is a certainty!

So you're criticising RM for not spending money we don't have?

Did last season's trips to court pass you by?

Could it mean a return for Timlin? He is a Sturrock player and if Simpson is no longer on the radar then he'd be the most likely to return in my book.

we have got bob hope of timlin coming back as he is doing very well at swindon at the moment and will not be allowed to go out on loan again.

agreed, Simpson has been the player that looks to get it down and play - right from the Aldershot game I was impressed with him. He is an essex boy and has always played his football in the east anglian vicinity, so would love to see him stay. The simple method of Webby filling the team with local lads, and Tilson follwing suit a generation later is probably lost on journeyman sturrock

Your pop at Sturrock is unnecessary. He signed Simpson for goodness sake! I'm sure he'd like to keep him but the length of Simpson's existing contract and our lack of funds may be unsurmountable problems. Welcome to life in league two!

Your pop at Sturrock is unnecessary. He signed Simpson for goodness sake! I'm sure he'd like to keep him but the length of Simpson's existing contract and our lack of funds may be unsurmountable problems. Welcome to life in league two!

fair enough, but do you really think he went and found him, or that his agent rang southend as he spied an opportunity for first team football at a club that are close to home and only have about 8 pro's? Sturrock most likely couldn't believe his luck that someone other than his cronies wanted to come and play.

I'm sorry but a great number of southend fans, and it's been trawled over dozens of times on here, still feel passionately about the removal of tilson, to the extent that many are on individual boycott's with the lack of any co-ordinated action. Sturrock is just a scab collaborator in Martin's world, therefore I have no time for him. I appreciate that others do not hold that view, but that does not prevent me from airing my disdain for the man. This is his 7th club, all dotted around the country and he is on a par with all the names that came between Ronnie Whelan until the day Ron relented and bought the Messiah home.

I'd like to see a lot more of Josh Simpson in the middle.

His best performances for us have been in the 4-5-1/4-3-3 formation where him and Grant where able to bomb forward and create havic, whilst having Easton in there covering for them. Since he has shifted out wide right, he has been a shadow of himself out there.

Whilst I think he'd make an excellent signing, if played in a midfield 3, if Sturrock decides to go another way and wants to play Simpson wide right, we may as well bring in a genuine right winger.

fair enough, but do you really think he went and found him, or that his agent rang southend as he spied an opportunity for first team football at a club that are close to home and only have about 8 pro's? Sturrock most likely couldn't believe his luck that someone other than his cronies wanted to come and play.

Sheer speculation. Maybe some of our favourite Tilson players were signed in the way you describe. You seem determined to be angry with Sturrock, criticising him over signing a player that you profess to like.

I'm sorry but a great number of southend fans, and it's been trawled over dozens of times on here, still feel passionately about the removal of tilson, to the extent that many are on individual boycott's with the lack of any co-ordinated action. Sturrock is just a scab collaborator in Martin's world, therefore I have no time for him. I appreciate that others do not hold that view, but that does not prevent me from airing my disdain for the man. This is his 7th club, all dotted around the country and he is on a par with all the names that came between Ronnie Whelan until the day Ron relented and bought the Messiah home.

I think that many people feel bad about what happened to Tilson but calling Sturrock a 'scab' is ridiculous. If no one had taken on the job after Tilson's departure you wouldn't have a site on which to post this.

Last edited:
I think that many people feel bad about what happened to Tilson but calling Sturrock a 'scab' is ridiculous. If no one had taken on the job after Tilson's departure you wouldn't have a site on which to post this drivel.

why would that equate to SZ shutting down? now that is drivel and a stain on the moderators of this forum. if anything it would've put more pressure into Ron having to go, or as he probably fantasises, run the team himself.

at the end of the day he will never replace Tilson, it has left a bitter taste in many people's mouths, and although on the face of it none of it is his fault (setting aside the scab statement) it is the fact that so many jumped on the bandwagon and hailed the bloke as and experienced and crafted manager. He had one great spell at Plymouth, walked out on them 12 games before the end of a promotion campaign (that shows you his loyalty to a club he was adored at), went to Saints and got the first hand experience of the adage the "grass aint greener". Then goes to Wednesday promoted from League One - which with their resources was nigh on inevitable - then got sacked two seasons later for languishing at the bottom of the championship. Goes and gets Swindon promoted, but walks out yet again. He is then so dismal at Plymouth for 2 years, that they sack him, but due to his prior form politely "move him up stairs".

His overall career is (not including us): 6 clubs, 5 promotions, 4 walkings out, and 3 sackings. Rather than the 12 days of xmas song, the record reads more like Henry the VIII's wives. all bar one of his promotions could be argued as a club with too big for the respective league.

I will never vocally shout down a manager, and not sturrock, but I want Tilson or a man who is affiliated to the club at the very least - that is what supporting your local club is for me. clearly success is all others care about, but judging by old loonies record, if he ever does achieve anything he'll be walking almost as fast as he's sacked if he don't.

you clearly hold a different view, that's fine

Brigadista.Your argument does not hold up too well. !! Does Alex Ferguson come from Manchester,or Arsene Wenger from Islington ? Yes,it's always good to have a local manager and players,but in the case of Tilson ,i felt he was past his sell by date.If he was that good ,why didn't a higher division club come in for him ? He did well in his early years with the Shrimpers,but i for one was not sorry to see him replaced.Although I have zero support for"Uncle Ron".Sturrock has only had half a season,if by the end there is no semblance of a team,then i would suggest he move on.Until then lets see how he shapes up.Up the Blues.

When a player like Mohsni goes out and plays with his heart, puts his body on the line for our club, I don't care where he comes from.

why would that equate to SZ shutting down? now that is drivel and a stain on the moderators of this forum. if anything it would've put more pressure into Ron having to go, or as he probably fantasises, run the team himself.

What???!!!! So your argument is that I am showing disrespect towards the moderators in suggesting that a club needs a manager to operate? You feel that all of the managers in the country should have refused to take the post at Southend in solidarity with Tilson and that Ron would then have been forced to go? That sounds like one of those parallel universe plots in Doctor Who.

His overall career is (not including us): 6 clubs, 5 promotions, 4 walkings out, and 3 sackings. Rather than the 12 days of xmas song, the record reads more like Henry the VIII's wives. all bar one of his promotions could be argued as a club with too big for the respective league.

I will never vocally shout down a manager, and not sturrock, but I want Tilson or a man who is affiliated to the club at the very least - that is what supporting your local club is for me. clearly success is all others care about, but judging by old loonies record, if he ever does achieve anything he'll be walking almost as fast as he's sacked if he don't.

you clearly hold a different view, that's fine

His record sounds pretty fantastic for a league two manager. Am I correct in understanding that your main problem with him is that he is a Scot rather than an Essex boy? And I thought you were a liberal...:winking:

Last edited:
Brigadista.Your argument does not hold up too well. !! Does Alex Ferguson come from Manchester,or Arsene Wenger from Islington ? Yes,it's always good to have a local manager and players,but in the case of Tilson ,i felt he was past his sell by date.If he was that good ,why didn't a higher division club come in for him ? He did well in his early years with the Shrimpers,but i for one was not sorry to see him replaced.Although I have zero support for"Uncle Ron".Sturrock has only had half a season,if by the end there is no semblance of a team,then i would suggest he move on.Until then lets see how he shapes up.Up the Blues.

Agree 100%, saved me from posting. Brigadista is just spouting nonsense! I'm fully behind Sturrock and feel we were lucky to get a manager of his pedigree, I loved that Tilly was an Essex boy but, other than Clarky, none of our other managers have been local and it hasn't stopped me from getting behind them.

I still think Sturrock did a remarkable job in getting a semi-decent team together in a couple of weeks to start the season - it is not surprising that he made a few mistakes (Soares, Gilbert) but at the time they looked on paper to be good signings for us. He's also got in a few great signings (Barker, Mohsni, Hall, Clohessy) and, if given the resources to wheel and deal in January, we could end this season on a high.

For goodness sake, we need to let go of the Tilly sacking now - it's in the past and we can't change things.

I'd like to see a lot more of Josh Simpson in the middle.

His best performances for us have been in the 4-5-1/4-3-3 formation where him and Grant where able to bomb forward and create havic, whilst having Easton in there covering for them. Since he has shifted out wide right, he has been a shadow of himself out there.

Whilst I think he'd make an excellent signing, if played in a midfield 3, if Sturrock decides to go another way and wants to play Simpson wide right, we may as well bring in a genuine right winger.

Whilst I definitely agree with the sentiment that he should be played through the centre, the best game I've seen him have for us was away against Bradford where he was terrific and ran all night. For that game, he played very much wide right and since then he's another player that falls into the "rampant inconsistency" category. I'd like for him to stay, but not at the expense of anybody else and if Sturrock thinks that we'll be a more balanced outfit by bringing in a natural winger, then so be it.

Back