• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

From what I've seen, he's had a few decent games, nothing special - and a few poor games, but no howlers. Would be a decent signing if the price was right, but if not then there are plenty of others who could fit the bill.

There's no way Granty will sign for Crawley, he's got 4 or 5 Championship clubs chasing him so why on earth would he drop into non-league even if they did offer him good money???!!!

If he goes to Crawley I'll do a streak at the next home league game!! :smiles:

i note from reading this thread that some people are still advocating us spending £100k on a player. any player.
we ain't got £100k. lets not pretend we have. at our level, most players are free transfers these days anyway.
why do people want to see us splashing cash?

i note from reading this thread that some people are still advocating us spending £100k on a player. any player.
we ain't got £100k. lets not pretend we have. at our level, most players are free transfers these days anyway.
why do people want to see us splashing cash?

--- hoping that by paying money we get a better quality of player ?

We have no money to spend in january, weve not had a home game for nearly 2 months! Weve not a hope in hell of signing Simpson, and I fear that Grant will have to be sold to keep us from the tax man again. In fact I can see 6 or 7 leaving and only 2 or 3 coming in, freebies or loanees.

er no its not, the mess we got into is caused by 1 person and 1 person only martin. look at his companies, not exactly treading water are they. the money that has flowed trhough this club since tilson started the success is scary, and its all gone, if you want to talk about wages, paid and paying too much for players, then if thats the reason to blame for our crisis, and I dont think it, then martin, again is to blame, as chairman he would ultimately have the final say on salaries and paying for players. but then what do you believe is the truth on transfer fees, walker is 1 example, martin tried to talk up that we paid 100,000k wherease the truth who knows 10,000k !!! big difference. then there is all this nonsense about us being the 3rd biggest payers of salaries in league 2?? dont think, but so many people buy his lies its a little embarrsing. w

I never said Martin wasn't to blame did I? I've always said that over-spending on wages and transfer fees has been our problem, and that is down to Ron Martin. I just happen to think that a lot of.people would have made the same mistake and the fact that people want signings to be made in our current position just goes to prove that.

We have no money to spend in january, weve not had a home game for nearly 2 months! Weve not a hope in hell of signing Simpson, and I fear that Grant will have to be sold to keep us from the tax man again. In fact I can see 6 or 7 leaving and only 2 or 3 coming in, freebies or loanees.

Hard to disagree with those facts. If that happens then with a smaller squad and 2 games a week for a month or so whenever, i fear suspensions and injuries will see us struggle moreso than up to now.

Absolutely. Although that's pretty much how we got in this mess in the first place.

er no its not, the mess we got into is caused by 1 person and 1 person only martin. look at his companies, not exactly treading water are they. the money that has flowed trhough this club since tilson started the success is scary, and its all gone, if you want to talk about wages, paid and paying too much for players, then if thats the reason to blame for our crisis, and I dont think it, then martin, again is to blame, as chairman he would ultimately have the final say on salaries and paying for players. but then what do you believe is the truth on transfer fees, walker is 1 example, martin tried to talk up that we paid 100,000k wherease the truth who knows 10,000k !!! big difference. then there is all this nonsense about us being the 3rd biggest payers of salaries in league 2?? dont think, but so many people buy his lies its a little embarrsing. w

Perhaps Beefy was refering to the overspending in the Mid 90's which meant that we had so many debtors that we had to crystalize the only assets the club had in order to keep the club going ?

RM may not have been a great deal of help at times, but he did not invent debt for SUFC

We've historically overspent. We only got out of the mess in the first place because Ron Martin came along and tried to make his fortune by developing Roots Hall and moving the football club somewhere else.

We made the same mistakes then a decade later, signing too many players on big transfer fees, on big wages and on long contracts.

We made the same mistakes then a decade later, signing too many players on big transfer fees, on big wages and on long contracts.

Is it true that Peter Clarke cost us circa £1million? I heard this on the grapevine...

Is it true that Peter Clarke cost us circa £1million? I heard this on the grapevine...

If you take into account the transfer fee, signing on fee, wages, appearance fees and goal bonuses, yes.

He also scored the goal that earned this club a huge payday with the FA Cup replay v Chelski, which almost nets it off though.

If you take into account the transfer fee, signing on fee, wages, appearance fees and goal bonuses, yes.

He also scored the goal that earned this club a huge payday with the FA Cup replay v Chelski, which almost nets it off though.

I think you have been hooked there....:net:

Again, according to today's Echo, this is absolute bull as Southend are still trying to sort something out to get Josh in. I don't think anyone is denying there are other possibilities but Josh himself has said he wants to stay, and if there is a way then I'm sure he will.

Back