• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ibwiajwa – your post implied that without a manager I would not have a site to post on, and cannot understand how Southend not having a manager would equate to Shrimperzone shutting down? Maybe I misinterpreted that one?

Of course I agree that being an Essex boy is not everything, but my point being, is in my eyes I am supporting my club, which should represent my town and community. So for a journeyman that has shown utter disregard for clubs in the past, by walking out on them on several occasions, I cannot see that he will ever feel anything for Southend nor show them any commitment. Alan Mac was a hell of a player, totally committed, I have no qualms with that – he had a loan spell (ie earned his stripes) and showed willing to come back. We could be ‘Anyone United’ in Sturrock’s eyes. Those that band Wenger and Fergie about are indeed missing the point I made earlier. I do not measure this by success. As I have posted before only 5% of team’s can have a successful season each year, and that aint going to happen every year. So what do you do for the rest of the time? I’d like to see a committed outfit, giving 100% who relate to the fans. If Sturrock had been a Scotsman who had been a coach at the club for a few years or run our U18’s then fair play – but given his track record I do not feel he has any affiliation to the club and never will – nor does his CV justify him as the best person for the job if we use the measure others advocate. Walking out on Plymouth, where he was revered, 12 games from the end of the season whilst they were battling for promotion showed what regard he held his adoring fans in.

As for Tilly – there were several clubs who made enquiries for him, the most concrete of which was Leicester. The man had to deal with untold rubbish from the club and yet still stayed.

This is his 7th club, all dotted around the country and he is on a par with all the names that came between Ronnie Whelan until the day Ron relented and bought the Messiah home.

What do we want - Dave Smith out!
When do we want it - now!

The club have denied Barry Fry's claims. However after their comments regarding Widdrington whether we believe them or not is another matter!!!
http://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/th..._s_claims_over_Simpson_deal_pull_out/?ref=rss

This quote:

“Manager Paul Sturrock is currently taking into account where best he might utilise the resources available to him during January transfer window, by considering a number of new players.”

Is interesting. It would appear that perhaps PS is looking at strengthening other areas first and foremost.

The club have denied Barry Fry's claims. However after their comments regarding Widdrington whether we believe them or not is another matter!!!
http://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/th..._s_claims_over_Simpson_deal_pull_out/?ref=rss

What comments regarding Widdrington?

The club haven't denied Judas' comments at all.

Judas suggested we'd agreed a deal for Simpson but have pulled out of that deal. Where does the club deny that? They just say we're short of cash and are willing to keep talking (ie renegotiate).

F.W.I.W, I actually think he is quite a good player, gets the job done without any fuss and never seems to get faised by anything. I just think that we just cannot afford him, quite simple really especially if there is a fee involved as I bet he is on a good contract at "Peterborough" and get I the impression that he is out of our league.......Sickens me to say that!

F.W.I.W, I actually think he is quite a good player, gets the job done without any fuss and never seems to get faised by anything. I just think that we just cannot afford him, quite simple really especially if there is a fee involved as I bet he is on a good contract at "Peterborough" and get I the impression that he is out of our league.......Sickens me to say that!
We could do with a few more players with his attitude to the game. Unfortunately Ron does not have the money, hence the pre season problems and numerous players that left the club and PS sometimes has his mind on other things.

What comments regarding Widdrington?

The club haven't denied Judas' comments at all.

Judas suggested we'd agreed a deal for Simpson but have pulled out of that deal. Where does the club deny that? They just say we're short of cash and are willing to keep talking (ie renegotiate).

I was referring to the fact that on the Tuesday evening of the Cheltenham game when the rumours were flying around that Tommy had left a club spokesman said that Widdrington had not left Blues.
http://www.southendunited-mad.co.uk...umours_that_tommy_has_gone_608736/index.shtml

While clown Martin is there im afraid i dont believe anything which is coming from the club. Infact i'd go as far to say i believe others over the club now going on recent evidence.

Seems to me that this has happened before- perhaps some can fill in. But we take a player on loan with the intention to buy in the following window- then pull out to get a lower fee/better deal. Didn't we do same with JCR? and ended up paying less to Rotherham's despair
It might not be particularly nice but I wouldn't be surprised if its all about getting him on a free
I believe Fry is under all sorts of pressure to get heads off the payroll
Remember Chris Barker- all talk was he was on championship wages and had time to run on contract so there would be a fee- seems to me like a good deal was done there despite our complete lack of a pot? Here I believe we may even got something to fund the gap in wages and get him off their payroll!

Big shame if true, I thought it was nailed on for him to sign permanently

Don't forget Fry is a wheeler dealer - he may have tried to up the price!

To be honest. If he is not going to be played in the middle (His best position by a mile) then there is no point in signing him.

Plucking a figure out the air. I would say 'Boro would want what £80,000 - £100,000 for him?

If that is the case and he is not going to get in the middle ahead of Grant and Easton, then we may as well spend that on a "proper" right winger.

Don't get me wrong I would love to see Josh sign permanently. He is a very good player when used in the correct way. But if Sturrock does not want to play him in his best position, then it would be a waste of money.

Obviously if Grant goes, then that changes everything.

Simpson

I don't know whether its common knowledge but Simpson starts the New year at Crawley in the conference

Crawley are the big spenders of the Conference, probaly have a bigger budget than us and maybe even offered him higher wages, so there may be truth in it. Pains me to say it but we are not a lot better than the top conference sides.

F.W.I.W, I actually think he is quite a good player, gets the job done without any fuss and never seems to get faised by anything. .!

He was so unfazed and unfussed at Burton that I forgot he was playing for most of the match.

Back