• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I've been suggesting this for months, don't understand this left and righted footed combination rubbish, they are professional footballers who should know how to use both feet
Agree they should but many player's in the Premier League can still only kick with one foot let alone L1.

There was a bloke sat near me at a game recently who kept calling Bolger 'Toblerone boots'. I asked why and he said it's because the ball could go anywhere. His mate apparently called him '50p head' for exactly the same reason. Brilliant.

I always thought the phrase was " he's got a head like a thrupenny bit" ....shows how old I am .....pre-decimalisation for the benefit of younger subscribers to this forum....:winking:

Didnt rate Bolger. He thought he was Rio Ferdinand , but was more Rio Anderton.
For a big lump he wasnt strong enough , brave enough , nor quick enough or aware enough . I'm sure he shut his eyes when he headed the ball. Loved to dive in a lungey mistimed tackle. I always felt he was going to muck it up when he had the ball. Often he did.

Adam Thompson is so much a better player. He's sharp, reads the game so well , very quick over the vital first few yards, has now learnt to head the ball properly and doesnt ponce about with it. IMHO the combo of Thommo + Prosser was the best we ve seen for a few years , and that includes the lauded Sokolik/Egen partnership.

Since when did third division football fans become so precious about centre halves being able to spray perfect passes about?

Obviously a bit more to it than just that. Otherwise Ron and co would not sanction the move. Be interesting to see who is coming in.

I see Sokolik (who's already been mentioned) was only on the bench this weekend...

He ( Cian), wasn't often beaten in the air, and certainly added a formidable presence to the back line......shame to see him go.

Exactly.

As much as a left and right sided (note not footed) centre-half is important, you also need at least one centre-half who is dominant in the air. Thompson and Barrett can hold their own in the air but they aren't dominant.

We've seen that in the amount of goals we've conceded from set pieces this season (and yes this includes matches when Bolger has played) when we've lacked height.

Since when did third division football fans become so precious about centre halves being able to spray perfect passes about?

Indeed.

For a big lump he wasnt strong enough , brave enough , nor quick enough or aware enough . I'm sure he shut his eyes when he headed the ball. Loved to dive in a lungey mistimed tackle. I always felt he was going to muck it up when he had the ball. Often he did.

Adam Thompson is so much a better player. He's sharp, reads the game so well , very quick over the vital first few yards, has now learnt to head the ball properly and doesnt ponce about with it. IMHO the combo of Thommo + Prosser was the best we ve seen for a few years , and that includes the lauded Sokolik/Egen partnership.

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

You have the 2 confused. This is Thompson all over !

I didn't mind Bolger but you can't go round saying to your manager if I'm not in the playing eleven I want to go out on loan or want a move, I just wish he was able to pass the the ball more than 10 yards as the amount of time he used to just kick the ball over the top and into touch, maybe his better suited to league two where they play more hoof ball, he wasn't that great for bury on Saturday either so I'm told:unsure:

Prosser was great for us but there's no way that partnership was better than Sokolik/Egan IMHO.

Prosser was great for us but there's no way that partnership was better than Sokolik/Egan IMHO.

Sokolik/Egan did really well for us but weren't often tested in that short run of games against big forwards and when they were in the play-offs they came up a little short.

I'd still love to have Sokolik back. There's real talent there. A defensive partnership at this level isn't just about putting out there the best two players but in matching players who compensate for each other's weaknesses - eg one big, one quick; if one's inexperienced get an experienced player alongside him etc.

Sokolik/Egan did really well for us but weren't often tested in that short run of games against big forwards and when they were in the play-offs they came up a little short.

I'd still love to have Sokolik back. There's real talent there. A defensive partnership at this level isn't just about putting out there the best two players but in matching players who compensate for each other's weaknesses - eg one big, one quick; if one's inexperienced get an experienced player alongside him etc.

So matching Adam Barrett with someone young, tall and a head full of luxurious hair

Since Peter Watson, Sammy McMillan, Alan Moody, Tony Hadley, Spencer Prior, Paul Clark etc etc etc

All depends what matches you use as examples. When it really really mattered in both legs of the playoffs they were both poor. I can recall a last minute tackle from prosser last year that meant that we went on our way to. Morecomb knowing destiny was in our hands

Back