• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I'm still stunned by this, does PB expect his players to sit meekly on the bench ? I'm pretty sure he's said in the past that he has no problem with fringe players banging down his door if they are not playing. Bolger 'was' a good no nonsense defender (with admittedly poor distribution). Hopefully the back two suffer no injuries today.

Just as an aside, if we look at the home games since the "dressing down" at Swindon.

Coventry City - Clean Sheet
Colchester United - Clean Sheet
Burton Albion - One goal, which came from the ball being out of play
Crewe Alexandra - One goal, direct from a free-kick with the wall 15 yards back
Chesterfield - A breakaway goal, when we were pushing for a winner and had a centre-half out of position

For a manager who prides himself on defence, especially at home, it still surprises me that Bolger seems to be made a scapegoat for one sloppy goal against Chesterfield.

At the start of the season Thommo was out of contract, out of favour, just back from injury and seemingly without a future at PB's Hall. How things change.
As for Cian, he has improved greatly however his development has stalled and any further improvement might not be happening; his decision making and discipline are better but his passing and play making are generally more hopeful than successful.
He was saved from being scapegoated at Wembley (the disallowed BBBC header in the first half) and he is also not as good (as AB or Thom) at disguising his "foul" moves and dark art defending.

Accepted that his passing could be better, but it Isn't his job to knock 30 yard balls to someone's feet.

His job is to defend and since he came in to the side after the Cambridge United game last season, his record is very impressive for a young centre-half and he has sorted his discipline out, as well.

Sad loss for me.

Accepted that his passing could be better, but it Isn't his job to knock 30 yard balls to someone's feet.

His job is to defend and since he came in to the side after the Cambridge United game last season, his record is very impressive for a young centre-half and he has sorted his discipline out, as well.

Sad loss for me.

Please don't mistake my critic for being anti Cian, I like him and would prefer to see him stay; I would also argue that him and Thommo ought to have played together -I know neither is a left hoofer! - and that might have been a good partnership for a few seasons.

I agree with much of the above - it does seem a loss and there must be more to this than Bolger asking (which is another word for demanding) to play.

Of course, Bolger might not be in the team at Bury ............ so he might just have moved from the bench at Roots Hall for the bench at Bury. Or perhaps he has been on the phone to Prosser who has told him that there is a life away from Southend ...........

Please don't mistake my critic for being anti Cian, I like him and would prefer to see him stay; I would also argue that him and Thommo ought to have played together -I know neither is a left hoofer! - and that might have been a good partnership for a few seasons.

Point taken, Massimo.

I fear we don't have enough cover there now and just seems odd to ship out a perfectly good centre-half to then get someone in on loan to cover.

There definitely seems more to it and I would love to know exactly the reasons as they appear more than just footballing ones, based on what I've seen this season from him.

i would have liked to see Bolger and Thompson play together as Barrett isn't going to last forever, though the fact that Barrett staying for another season may have perhaps influenced this

i would have liked to see Bolger and Thompson play together as Barrett isn't going to last forever, though the fact that Barrett staying for another season may have perhaps influenced this

I've been suggesting this for months, don't understand this left and righted footed combination rubbish, they are professional footballers who should know how to use both feet

There was a bloke sat near me at a game recently who kept calling Bolger 'Toblerone boots'. I asked why and he said it's because the ball could go anywhere. His mate apparently called him '50p head' for exactly the same reason. Brilliant.

Is this Brown telling him your not wanted next year go and find yourself another club.

Who else is going? Who we keeping?

Is this Brown telling him your not wanted next year go and find yourself another club.

Who else is going? Who we keeping?

No player should demand to be picked and throw a hissy. It's a squad game. Bolger had a little loss of form. There's lots of players who think they should start the next game, but they go about it in the right way to hopefully get picked, and then they have to fight to keep their place. Barratt was dropped for Prosser earlier in the season, but didn't throw a hissy fit.

There was a bloke sat near me at a game recently who kept calling Bolger 'Toblerone boots'. I asked why and he said it's because the ball could go anywhere. His mate apparently called him '50p head' for exactly the same reason. Brilliant.

That was Keith Dublin's nickname many years ago

I've been suggesting this for months, don't understand this left and righted footed combination rubbish, they are professional footballers who should know how to use both feet
Agree, and I thought this was why Brown was playing Thompson on the left of the three when we played 3 at the back for a string of games. He looked comfortable and would equally be so in my opinion alongside Bolger as a partnership.

Back