• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Boreham Wood FC v Southend United, Saturday 30th October, 15:00 k.o., NL

Starting XI and Result

• Steve Arnold

Votes: 74 82.2%
  • Harry Seaden

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Jason Demetriou

Votes: 22 24.4%
  • Rob Howard

Votes: 49 54.4%
  • John White

Votes: 46 51.1%
  • Shaun Hobson

Votes: 61 67.8%
  • Nathan Ralph

Votes: 66 73.3%
  • Charlie Sayers

Votes: 15 16.7%
  • James Dunne

Votes: 20 22.2%
  • Abu Ogogo

Votes: 25 27.8%
  • Nathan Ferguson

Votes: 56 62.2%
  • Harry Phillips

Votes: 40 44.4%
  • Jack Bridge

Votes: 71 78.9%
  • Terrell Egbri

Votes: 12 13.3%
  • Louis Walsh

Votes: 43 47.8%
  • Will Atkinson

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Sam Dalby

Votes: 67 74.4%
  • Rhys Murphy

Votes: 65 72.2%
  • Simeon Akinola

• Matt Rush

Votes: 13 14.4%
  • Zak Brunt

Votes: 41 45.6%
  • Matt Dennis

• Kacper Łopata

Votes: 45 50.0%

Votes: 2 2.2%

• Win

Votes: 18 20.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 22 24.4%
  • Lose

Votes: 29 32.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Shrimpergonzo

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver⭐
Staff member
We're off to Borehamwood again this Saturday to play Boreham Wood FC (If you come from a place called Borehamwood, why would you call your team Boreham Wood? It would be like the Shrimpers being South End United....) - I say "again" because this is the team's second visit to Meadow Park in less than 12 months. Who can forget last season's cup exit where we actually came back from 2-0, and then 3-2 down to take it to penalties (if you've forgotten you can watch the "highlights" here - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/54847366 ). Even though it's less than 12 months ago, only 4 of the starting XI from that day are still at the club (Hobson, Demetriou, Nathaniel-George and Clifford), and possibly only one of them likely to start this Saturday.

The Wood are unexpectedly flying high in the National League - they lost at high-flying Chesterfield last Saturday but while we were losing to that team the previous week, they were beating Daggers 2-0 at home and currently sit in 3rd place after a 1-0 win at King's Lynn on Tuesday evening. Last season's top scorer Kabongo Tshimanga has now been sold to Chesterfield, but they do have a midfielder who I wish we'd have signed in Josh Rees, not only because he's a fellow Old Southendian, but because he's looked a great player whenever I've seen him.

So by the time Kev and Co. pick the team for Saturday, they will have had another week to assess the squad since the Dagenham game. The club have been tight-lipped about some of the injuries and so we're in the dark as to how close Arnold, Ralph, Demetriou, Clifford and Akinola are to being fit but it's hard to see how their inclusion in the squad would not strengthen the team.

What was clear from last Saturday is that there is no quick fix for Kev and the boys, so he'll just have to get on with the job, try to build confidence and take it from there. It'll be another tough Saturday this week and next (3 difficult away games in a row), so who do you think will make the starting XI this week and what is your predicted result?

Last edited:
As Kev and co have got a good week to tell this squad what the coaches want its going to be interesting to see what 11 take to the field this Saturday

------------------- ARNOLD --------------------
-- JD --- WHITE ------------ HOBSON --- RALPH
--------------------------------------------------
WALSH ---- PHILLIPS --- FERGIE -------- BRIDGE
--------------------------------------------------
--------------- DALBY ----- RUSH --------------

The Wood aren't short of confidence having scored 19 goals to our 7 and having won eight matches to our 2. Difficult to see anything but a defeat here, but our revival has to start somewhere so I'm hoping for a draw.

Assuming Ralph is fit

………………..Seaden
………..Hobson White Ralph
Egbri Ogogo Ferguson Phillips Bridge
…………….Dalby Rush

Subs: Sayers, Dunne, Walsh, Murphy, O. Coker

Think Borehamwood play a 3-5-2 so they won’t cause us the problems with our shape down the flanks that Daggers did when they had 2 v 1 on the flanks. If we go with only 2 in central midfield we’ll get overrun so our choice is 3 at the back or one up front.

Murphy looked flat on Saturday and livelier when he was a sub. Rush is a pain to play against.

Looks like we will take in excess of 500 to this game which is fabulous in the circumstances. Leaving aside all the noise off the field this week, it's good to have a footballing thread to once again remind us that we all support Southend United and we have a hard league game ahead of us on Saturday.

I truly hope that the team benefit from from a week of training with our new coaching team and they come out looking to put our recent form behind us. God, we need a good result to lift both the team and us. COYB

Sobering that we played them in the dark days of last autumn and got a draw over 90 minutes. Somehow we’ve managed to be in an even worse place 12 months later. If the new coaching team get us any kind of result it will be an achievement. I genuinely think some of the regular starters are Sunday League level now. A full fit squad would just about allow selection of a team to keep us up. Reinforcements required ASAP.

Daggers had lost 3 in a row .. beat us 3-0 then lost the next one .
4-0 looks conservative

Daggers had lost 3 in a row .. beat us 3-0 then lost the next one .
4-0 looks conservative
Yes, could be a marker for the new Management, some players may never play a competitive match for us again after Saturday if it goes badly.....at least that is what I trust they will be told!

You do wonder if we should go all out attack and try to out score them. To try and keep it tight with this team is asking for trouble.

I've bought a ticket but I have no idea if I'll end up going. Seems like a waste of time and money for a certain defeat.

That said, I want to get behind the new management team and it's the hope that kills you.
I agree.

But you follow Southend because it’s in your blood, yes we all go away, properly knowing we are going to get tonked. But we still go all the same, whether we win, draw, or loose.

Back