• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours Brace yourselves....

SUFCFANS

Coach
Just a roumour, but.....

Around the corner (let's say two weeks from now) there's a big truck loaded with lots of cash.. The truck has 'Stobart' on it, and things are about to change around here..

There must be others on here who have heard similar whispers??

Last edited:
A couple of comments here and there.

Not sure what the logic behind the rumours are... I'd have thought that Carlisle would be a more attractive proposition for them than us right now.

Carlisle got population of 70'000 people living there, while Southend got an population of nearly 700'000 within 20 miles radius!

Got talking to a couple of Carlise supporters out here on there hols,told them i was a Southend supporter, que standered jokes about both our clubs,then with no prompting on my part,says how we will be ok if Stobbards takes over. I said i new nothing about this at all, and i dont, then went on to say that they wish he was intrested there club. Only idle talk from a guy down the pub, but ha who knows.

Carlisle got population of 70'000 people living there, while Southend got an population of nearly 700'000 within 20 miles radius!

Sometimes the number of sheep can make a difference - look at what happened up the A12 :)

When you think about it this would make sense for both Stobbarts and SUFC. The reason ES bought Southend Airport was to open up his transport/freight links within the south east. He already owns Carlisle Airport and having a freight transport hub in this region makes perfect sense to me.
The acquisition of SUFC, or at least a large financial stake, would also enable him to have a substantial foothold in the development side of things with the new stadium development on the horizon. I believe that the new stadium development is just one part of a much larger overall redevelopment plan for the whole area (Thames Gateway Project & Renaissance Southend) and a large freight warehouse terminal would be much easier to justify and get the go ahead for if you had a large financial stake in the economy of the area. Being a large part (or more) of SUFC and sole owner of Southend Airport would give him the clout required to please the planning authorities.

Also, on a slightly different tack. It would also enable Stobbart Air to subsidize flights for Southend United supporters for games oop north and vise versa. The Eddie Stobbart Stadium? Got a certain ring to it don't ya think.

Anyway, this is purely conjecture on my part and I know nothing :whistling:

Also, on a slightly different tack. It would also enable Stobbart Air to subsidize flights for Southend United supporters for games oop north and vise versa. The Eddie Stobbart Stadium? Got a certain ring to it don't ya think.

Anyway, this is purely conjecture on my part and I know nothing :whistling:

Does indeed sound good! Might also have bearing on the inevitable changes to the road infrastructure.

Quite what your nether region has to do with this I fail to see!

Just the idea of calling the new stadium 'The Eddie Stobart stadium' is poor. It a sh*t name, hence the reference towards the rusty brown. :)

In all seriousness, 'The Eddie Stobart Stadium'? Sounds worse than Col U's long winded wind up.

Just the idea of calling the new stadium 'The Eddie Stobart stadium' is poor. It a sh*t name, hence the reference towards the rusty brown. :)

In all seriousness, 'The Eddie Stobart Stadium'? Sounds worse than Col U's long winded wind up.

It would become Stobarts though surely, which is quite acceptable isn't it?

Just a roumour, but.....

Around the corner (let's say two weeks from now) there's a big truck loaded with lots of cash.. The truck has 'Stobart' on it, and things are about to change around here..

There must be others on here who have heard similar whispers??

That truck full of money would be a lot more use if it arrived this side of the transfer window closing.

If something happens in the next two weeks it should leave a little bit of time to bring in more players - could account for these 1month loans we've taken - obviously when these lapse we'll need to dip in the transfer market again..

It would become Stobarts though surely, which is quite acceptable isn't it?

No, because it sounds ****. It's the same as saying (in theory) If Dulux Paint threw loadsa cash at it, then it would be acceptable to call it 'The Dulux Paints Arena'

The Eddie Stobart Stadium? Behave.

taken from the London Southend Airport website. Some kind of tie up would make for very good business all round..

"-The London 2012 Olympics is fast approaching. With Southend being so close to Stratford and the rest of the Olympic Games the town would clearly be a desired destination for many travellers looking to attend the games.
-Tilbury Docks is in close proximity to the Airport and this is clearly a nice appeal to a haulage company like Stobart.
-Southend United Football Club have just been granted planning permission to build a new 22,000 seater stadium which will hopefully improve the teams chances of promotion to higher leagues. This in turn should increase the visiting teams support. With a larger airport that could be serviced by budget airlines such as Ryan Air and EasyJet this could increase away fans travel in to the town and also Southend fans heading to away fixtures."

taken from the London Southend Airport website. Some kind of tie up would make for very good business all round..

"-The London 2012 Olympics is fast approaching. With Southend being so close to Stratford and the rest of the Olympic Games the town would clearly be a desired destination for many travellers looking to attend the games.
-Tilbury Docks is in close proximity to the Airport and this is clearly a nice appeal to a haulage company like Stobart.
-Southend United Football Club have just been granted planning permission to build a new 22,000 seater stadium which will hopefully improve the teams chances of promotion to higher leagues. This in turn should increase the visiting teams support. With a larger airport that could be serviced by budget airlines such as Ryan Air and EasyJet this could increase away fans travel in to the town and also Southend fans heading to away fixtures."

Is this the same airport that started building a new train station at the airport without telling the train company!!

Building work has stopped on the new station, the plans for a new Hotel have been delayed and I'm not sure about the plans for a new terminal. I doubt very much will have changed at Southend Airport by the time the Olympics comes around.

Back