• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours Brace yourselves....

I'd be staggered if they "invested" in a football club like ours, with finances like ours, but I suppose as the saying goes - nothing should surprise you in football any more.

I'd be staggered if they "invested" in a football club like ours, with finances like ours, but I suppose as the saying goes - nothing should surprise you in football any more.

But that's partly the point Andy. Businesses like Eddie Stobarts have perhaps 5 to 10 year growth plans already mapped out and his is to become THE major road, rail and air freight haulier in the country and in that context the acquisition, or part thereof, of Southend United together with his wholesale purchase of Southend Airport does make sense.

With the proposed growth of the south east in general, our plans for a new stadium and the money that would bring into the club, the London Olympics and it's infrastructure just around the corner and the inevitable growth and expansion of the road and rail network from here in the south east to continental Europe then being a major part of Southends future economy is essential to his plans.

What has this all got to do with Southend United I hear you ask? Well, for a start the London Olympics are going to bring thousands upon thousands of tourists to the area, many of which will be looking for accommodation for those two weeks and somewhere to spend their money. The games will also boost the interest in other sports for a quite considerable period of time after they're gone which I would hope the new stadiums owner (whoever that may be) would make the most of and make use of during the closed season. Also you have to bare in mind that whilst it was true that for many many years the people that ran Southend United couldn't plan for the following season/year let alone the next 5 to 10. That is no longer the case. We have the potential to be THE biggest club for miles around and the prospects of continued growth during that period of time, all being well, are very good indeed. You put all this together, the roads, rail, air, SUFC and it's future input into the local economy, Olympics, continental Europe trading and freight, Government plans for the south east region and I believe our club and it's future fits in perfectly with what I believe is Eddie Stobarts plans for his haulage company.

Persistant rumour, this. They're heavily involved in the town and its future. Why not get involved with its football club? I can't see RM selling his 72%. Maybe Stobart will buy some of his shares and some of the other 28%, and RM will keep at least his 51% majority.

But that's partly the point Andy. Businesses like Eddie Stobarts have perhaps 5 to 10 year growth plans already mapped out and his is to become THE major road, rail and air freight haulier in the country and in that context the acquisition, or part thereof, of Southend United together with his wholesale purchase of Southend Airport does make sense.

With the proposed growth of the south east in general, our plans for a new stadium and the money that would bring into the club, the London Olympics and it's infrastructure just around the corner and the inevitable growth and expansion of the road and rail network from here in the south east to continental Europe then being a major part of Southends future economy is essential to his plans.

What has this all got to do with Southend United I hear you ask? Well, for a start the London Olympics are going to bring thousands upon thousands of tourists to the area, many of which will be looking for accommodation for those two weeks and somewhere to spend their money. The games will also boost the interest in other sports for a quite considerable period of time after they're gone which I would hope the new stadiums owner (whoever that may be) would make the most of and make use of during the closed season. Also you have to bare in mind that whilst it was true that for many many years the people that ran Southend United couldn't plan for the following season/year let alone the next 5 to 10. That is no longer the case. We have the potential to be THE biggest club for miles around and the prospects of continued growth during that period of time, all being well, are very good indeed. You put all this together, the roads, rail, air, SUFC and it's future input into the local economy, Olympics, continental Europe trading and freight, Government plans for the south east region and I believe our club and it's future fits in perfectly with what I believe is Eddie Stobarts plans for his haulage company.

I am in the freight industry and I wouldn't invest a penny in it.

However you make a good point about 5-10 year plans that many businesses have. Steve Gibson at Middlesbrough made his money in road haulage & freight based largely on this premise, although to be fair he really got lucky when he first started.

Stobart's are a pretty big player, but they are a commercial company, and if there is any legs in this they will of course want a return on their investment. They won't be an individual like Abramovich who will spend shed loads of his own money.

I am in the freight industry and I wouldn't invest a penny in it.

However you make a good point about 5-10 year plans that many businesses have. Steve Gibson at Middlesbrough made his money in road haulage & freight based largely on this premise, although to be fair he really got lucky when he first started.

Stobart's are a pretty big player, but they are a commercial company, and if there is any legs in this they will of course want a return on their investment. They won't be an individual like Abramovich who will spend shed loads of his own money.

Partly my point Harry. The potential for a good return on any investment is there. As the football club grows so will revenue, and so will the return. Of coarse it's a risk, they all are, but it's the kind of risk that companies like Stobart's have to take in order to be a part of the growth his 5 to 10 year plan dictates, hence his purchase of Southend Airport.

Very much doubt these rumours, if they did happen then i'd like to see the stadium named after an ex-player. The Spencer Prior stadium or the Anderson Arena?

Very much doubt these rumours, if they did happen then i'd like to see the stadium named after an ex-player. The Spencer Prior stadium or the Anderson Arena?

Afraid that's not going to happen. Corporate naming of stadia brings in much needed cash. Something that SUFC cannot afford to turn down.

And why do you doubt them? Care to elaborate so we can debate the issue.

I just can't see someone buying into our club when we have little revenue each year. I also doubt that Ron Martin wouldn't sell as he loves the club.

Just the idea of calling the new stadium 'The Eddie Stobart stadium' is poor. It a sh*t name, hence the reference towards the rusty brown. :)

In all seriousness, 'The Eddie Stobart Stadium'? Sounds worse than Col U's long winded wind up.

i also heard about this money and the fact it will be comming from Stobarts, but was expecting this cash a week before the chelmsford city game.

As for the name it aint any worse then the JJB,Fittness first, Walkers,Kit kat etc....but lets face it who gives too hoots about the name of the ground, its money we should be worrying about and if he wants to invest then so be it calls the Stobart Stadium

I just can't see someone buying into our club when we have little revenue each year. I also doubt that Ron Martin wouldn't sell as he loves the club.

On that premise why would somebody buy into Notts County or for that matter Southampton neither of whom had a pot to **** in?

They have a lot more than we do. A big stadium, a big history and a much bigger possible fan-base.

I don't wish to sound condescending or anything but if you'd read my post properly you'd see that I said it's all about future revenue, future returns on investment, future growth of the club and the area, not about what we have now, or don't as the case may be. If we didn't have the new stadium on the horizon I'd agree with you 100%. No potential investor would even consider pumping any money into our club as it would be money thrown at a lost cause with absolutely no prospect of any return or profit on that investment.

They have a lot more than we do. A big stadium, a big history and a much bigger possible fan-base.

Meadow Lane isn't a big stadium, and it may of escaped your notice they are in a division lower than us, and clubs are where they are by right and not by history.

If they aren't good enough examples look at Reading & Wigan and look at their respective histories in comparison with SUFC.

I also doubt that Ron Martin wouldn't sell as he loves the club.

Ron Martin is here for the money. That's the only reason why he and his company saved us from going to the wall a decade ago and that's the only reason they've propped us up financially ever since. But Ron can only make money here through the developments at both Roots Hall and Fossetts Farm. With the collapse of the economy and with the deterioration in the Club's financial profile caused by the increased costs following our promotion to the Championship, the chances of those developments occurring has to have been hit. If selling a portion of his shares to an outside investor can get things going again and make it more likely that he'll be able to ultimately reap the rewards of the new stadium and the Sainsburys development then he'd be foolish not to consider it.

Ron Martin is here for the money. That's the only reason why he and his company saved us from going to the wall a decade ago and that's the only reason they've propped us up financially ever since. But Ron can only make money here through the developments at both Roots Hall and Fossetts Farm. With the collapse of the economy and with the deterioration in the Club's financial profile caused by the increased costs following our promotion to the Championship, the chances of those developments occurring has to have been hit. If selling a portion of his shares to an outside investor can get things going again and make it more likely that he'll be able to ultimately reap the rewards of the new stadium and the Sainsburys development then he'd be foolish not to consider it.

on the nose there beefy, I love these fans that still believes Ron loves the club like some fairy tale relationship

on the nose there beefy, I love these fans that still believes Ron loves the club like some fairy tale relationship

Well cockles, u may be right. But I have often been in the company of one of Southends biggest property developers, who knows Ron well, who (in my opinion) has impartially told me that whilst Rons initial point of interest was potential profit, he has actually got quite involved with the passion of the football side of things.

Well cockles, u may be right. But I have often been in the company of one of Southends biggest property developers, who knows Ron well, who (in my opinion) has impartially told me that whilst Rons initial point of interest was potential profit, he has actually got quite involved with the passion of the football side of things.

ok tho i respect that a mate of a mate and all that, knows Ron.....but if he was gonna do the dirty on the club would he broadcast it to his mates????

but did he not only really liking football as his son was getting into SUFC

Well ladies and gentlemen, I don't often make comment on here but things are about to change. Tilly is on his last legs and his replacement is rumoured to be a local boy of old. Mr P.T!!!! Mr Martin has been clearing the family photos today(he never works on a Sunday!). The next two weeks will be very interesting!!!!!!..... ES is the man. RM is putting in for his own stake though. £500k a year + place on board. Watch this space!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back