• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Brexit negotiations thread

Stands to reason. Swing seat and tories in meltdown.

Fascinating prospect. Think you're a brave man to forecast anything in this present political climate. It could depend on a number of things and that's why I said the date the by-election is called will be interesting. Imagine for a minute that Brexit is going to be May's deal, or for some reason, it comes to a halt or is delayed. Farage enters into the contest to save his Brexit........ could a joker in the pack could lead to an unpredictable result?

Fascinating prospect. Think you're a brave man to forecast anything in this present political climate. It could depend on a number of things and that's why I said the date the by-election is called will be interesting. Imagine for a minute that Brexit is going to be May's deal, or for some reason, it comes to a halt or is delayed. Farage enters into the contest to save his Brexit........ could a joker in the pack could lead to an unpredictable result?
Do you really think Farage has the pulling power to start a new party from scratch and have a big impact within the space of 3 months?

Archer's case was different as his lies were effectively harmful to someone else. There was a LibDem MP and his wife (names escape me) - she took his driving offence and she did time, think he did too.

Yes.Chris Hulme and his (then) wife Vicky Pryce.They both (quite rightly ) did time.

Last edited:

One of the reasons that Peterborough is a highly marginal seat is because of the large amount of temporary migrant immigration (usually associated with fruit picking and canning ) in the area.FWIW, I think that Benfleet is right ,Labour will hold the seat with an increased majority.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-46613900

Am I the only one who thinks the UK's post-Brexit plans for immmigration (a minimum salary requirement of £30,000 for skilled migrants and a 1 year maximum visa for unskilled workers) are unworkable?
they would end up with so many exemptions it will just be a token policy on the whole and a horrendous inconvenience to many people who unjustly get caught up in it.
Kind of irrelevant for them to announce immigration policy when it will need to fit in with whatever trading arrangements we have with the EU and ROW.
Typical for them to announce policy knowing it will get adjusted out of all recognition. They delayed the start of their 10 year plan for NHS because they are too busy with Brexit but they have time to work on policy that will likely never be used. And the madness goes on...

The fuss about whatever JC muttered was, of course, classic displacement activity.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-46619689

Whilst journalists were trying to track down lip readers to give their interpretation on 'stupid woman' or 'stupid people' and for that to be a main news story for the next 12 hours, at the same time a homeless man was dying near the Houses of Parliament.

At the moment you can only read about this on the BBC if you check the local news pages.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-46619035

Whilst journalists were trying to track down lip readers to give their interpretation on 'stupid woman' or 'stupid people' and for that to be a main news story for the next 12 hours, at the same time a homeless man was dying near the Houses of Parliament.

At the moment you can only read about this on the BBC if you check the local news pages.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-46619035

Exactly why the tories have made a big thing about it to take the heat of them for 12 hours! Your right though its a non story when there's other things more important

The fuss about whatever JC muttered was, of course, classic displacement activity.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-46619689

Whilst I agree the actual point of whether he called her a stupid woman or not is a complete non story but there is a far bigger issue here which I'm sure hasn't passed you by.

Three independent lip reading/sync experts have said he used the words 'stupid woman' not people, or anything else for that matter and after watching it time and time again I have to agree. The bigger issue is that JC has blatantly lied about it. Why? He has made himself and his party look even more untrustworthy than they already were by doing so. He should have just admitted it, apologised for it being said in a moment of frustration brought on by the chaos caused by the ineptitude of TM and her Government and possibly by doing so actually earned himself a few brownie points where Joe public is concerned.

He really doesn't do himself or his party any favours does he.

Do you really think Farage has the pulling power to start a new party from scratch and have a big impact within the space of 3 months?

You don’t?

Farage was one of, if not the most influential figure in landing the Brexit result.

He is a charismatic person who people will get behind & have blind faith in.

If you couple that with the current climate, where the overwhelming majority of the 17m brexiteers feel that they’ve been sold short, but have no party to turn to, it makes all the sense in the world that Farage could launch a new party, with its sole purpose of delivering Brexit, and people would certainly get behind it.

I know you detest the man, but occasionally you have to take off those lefty blinkers to see the wood for the trees.

Whilst I agree the actual point of whether he called her a stupid woman or not is a complete non story but there is a far bigger issue here which I'm sure hasn't passed you by.

Three independent lip reading/sync experts have said he used the words 'stupid woman' not people, or anything else for that matter and after watching it time and time again I have to agree. The bigger issue is that JC has blatantly lied about it. Why? He has made himself and his party look even more untrustworthy than they already were by doing so. He should have just admitted it, apologised for it being said in a moment of frustration brought on by the chaos caused by the ineptitude of TM and her Government and possibly by doing so actually earned himself a few brownie points where Joe public is concerned.

many other lip reading experts have concluded he said 'people' and he has stated he said 'people' so that should be the end of it. The whole world is watching our governmental meltdown over Brexit and this being front page news gives us new levels of laughingstock.

Agree with all this.

Truth is, with the utter contempt for May at this time, he’d have been better off holding his hands up, admitting it and simply saying, “do you disagree?”

Instead he’s once again shown himself up to be an outright liar when he deems necessary.

So it’s absolutely no surprise that we’ve got the most inept Tory government in history, but one that is still good enough to compete in the polls with the opposition.

Or in other words, an opposition so poor, that it can’t topple a self-destructing government who are universally hated.

You don’t?

Farage was one of, if not the most influential figure in landing the Brexit result.

He is a charismatic person who people will get behind & have blind faith in.

If you couple that with the current climate, where the overwhelming majority of the 17m brexiteers feel that they’ve been sold short, but have no party to turn to, it makes all the sense in the world that Farage could launch a new party, with its sole purpose of delivering Brexit, and people would certainly get behind it.

I know you detest the man, but occasionally you have to take off those lefty blinkers to see the wood for the trees.
it's not a question of being blinkered it's the fact that he tried and failed 7 times to become an MP which is a strong indication that he is not that popular with the public.
Leave won the referendum but people were voting for Leave not for Farage.
People who detest Farage could vote Leave because the agree with Bill Cash or Michael Gove or George Galloway or Kate Hoey or because there were two choices and they could pick one on the evidence without following one particular politician.
Farrage is a dick, but Cameron is a dick too - I didn't base my vote on either of them or any other politician.

The point is though, Farage has left UKIP, he has no party and none of the funds from EU that keep UKIP going. If you think he is going to form a new party and instantly pick up millions of votes throughout the country over the space of a couple of months then....I'm surprised.

The point is though, Farage has left UKIP, he has no party and none of the funds from EU that keep UKIP going. If you think he is going to form a new party and instantly pick up millions of votes throughout the country over the space of a couple of months then....I'm surprised.

Farage is still the mouthpiece for leave and dissafection of the EU. I'm sure there are some deep pockets ready to fund him, especially if they come via Putin.

Love him(?) or loathe him, you have to say Putin has played an absolute blinder. The western world used to be united in it's opposition to communism and the Soviet Union. Russia has barely changed since those days, but now the West's enemy is itself. From France, the USA & UK, we're more divided in anytime in recent history.

it's not a question of being blinkered it's the fact that he tried and failed 7 times to become an MP which is a strong indication that he is not that popular with the public.

That was then, this is now.

I’m sure that none of his previous attempts at becoming an MP, have occurred during such tumultuous times, where people felt like they had no party to support.

Leave won the referendum but people were voting for Leave not for Farage.

If that were the case, how do you explain the vast swathes of lefty’s who directly apportion blame to Farage, for lying to the public?

I can’t be arsed to go back over all your posts from the last two years, but I’d be amazed if you yourself hadn’t laid some form of blame at his door. So to now dismiss his involvement as significant, is quite odd.

People who detest Farage could vote Leave because the agree with Bill Cash or Michael Gove or George Galloway or Kate Hoey or because there were two choices and they could pick one on the evidence without following one particular politician.

So to clarify, you genuinely believe that these people, these career politicians, carried more sway with the average working class person, during the referendum than Farage did?

Farrage is a dick, but Cameron is a dick too - I didn't base my vote on either of them or any other politician.
[/QUOTE]

Which is lovely, but totally besides the point, as you wouldn’t be the target demographic for supporting a new party, lead by Farage.

Back