• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Bristol Rovers 4-2 Southend United

7 penalties given against us ...

none awarded

the worst referreeing in the world is league one

In the Bristol Rovers game, Macca went off injured after 13 minutes and Fortune, who had a good first half and I guess was who you meant, lasted until the 59th according to the stats, though I thought he got subbed in the first half, like you did.

My recollection is 37 minutes but absolutely 100 per cent it was first half.

I was with Rovers supporters who couldn’t believe we were taking Fortune off.

I've found the OMT from that day and it was definitely a second half substitution.

Lots of Brown out posts, as you would imagine.

none awarded

LOL, are you serious, I hope you're fishing? Standard 'it ain't us guv, it's the biased refs' bollocks. We concede pens cos were always on the back foot, not tracking runners, leaving us prone to last ditch lunges. :Unsure:

Name one stonewall pen we haven't been given this season, and one against us which was a clear error.

why are all these posts about old games old managers and old times on here ?

Is it cos you dont go to the game ?

Conversations move on and other things get discussed. Like it would do in the pub after a match.

I'd love to hear more about the match itself, but there's hardly anything from anyone who went.

why are all these posts about old games old managers and old times on here ?

Is it cos you dont go to the game ?
I think people are trying to figure out where the rot started, it didn’t start this season. I was there yesterday, were you? I wouldn’t blame anyone for not going to games this season. Not one bit. We’ve been worse than s**t.

I think a couple of us summarised the game in fair detail, first half we were great, second half we folded. What else to say? Do we want to keep analysing every goal and figure out whose fault it was?? The atmosphere? (Not great) .. the food? (below average).

LOL, are you serious, I hope you're fishing? Standard 'it ain't us guv, it's the biased refs' bollocks. We concede pens cos were always on the back foot, not tracking runners, leaving us prone to last ditch lunges. :Unsure:

Name one stonewall pen we haven't been given this season, and one against us which was a clear error.

the thing is I think some pens have been wrong and was interested in the stas but now I am beginningto realise that some posters don't actually go to the games but just vent their unhappiness on this forum

yesterdays pen changed the game and was a dodgy/soft penalty - a v poor decision.

anyway if want to just speculate about this player or that player being a so and so (as if you were actually in the squad) - do carry on ..

ditto the fantsay league of chairman and managers - "if only we had kept Arthur Rowly on" sort of people

all good fun - but I would rather comment were respectful otherwise i will really have
to take the p=ss

I was at the game and it was definitely in the first half - showed me that Brown had lost the plot.

EDIT:- That match must have been the previous season (16/17) as I did not go in December 2017 despite having a ticket - there was a train strike and I could not get to the match - and did not go last season as I was on holiday

Last edited:
Watching it on iFollow and replaying it as well today, it is difficult to believe what happened in the second half. Clearly, one team paid attention to their half time team talk and the other didn't, but the astonishing fragility Blues showed suggests there are real psychological problems rooted in the team which have nothing to do with ability, fitness or even effort. Losing has become such a habit that at the first sign of adversity, we fold. Seriously, I do wonder if calling in a psychologist or a hypnotherapist or some other professional for some group sessions might be the answer.

the thing is I think some pens have been wrong and was interested in the stas but now I am beginningto realise that some posters don't actually go to the games but just vent their unhappiness on this forum

yesterdays pen changed the game and was a dodgy/soft penalty - a v poor decision.

anyway if want to just speculate about this player or that player being a so and so (as if you were actually in the squad) - do carry on ..

ditto the fantsay league of chairman and managers - "if only we had kept Arthur Rowly on" sort of people

all good fun - but I would rather comment were respectful otherwise i will really have
to take the p=ss

I respect your opinion on the pen and it did look soft TBF. However to translate that into every ref in the league is **** and imply we've been hard done by? Far fetched IMO.

The rest of your post, it's your opinion, that's fine, but remember respect works both ways. I've highlighted before when you've slagged people off for criticising individuals how you loved to do the same to Milligan. (Never got a reply then funnily enough).

Remember we're all hurting right now, perhaps get off your high horse occasionally.

I respect your opinion on the pen and it did look soft TBF. However to translate that into every ref in the league is **** and imply we've been hard done by? Far fetched IMO.

The rest of your post, it's your opinion, that's fine, but remember respect works both ways. I've highlighted before when you've slagged people off for criticising individuals how you loved to do the same to Milligan. (Never got a reply then funnily enough).

Remember we're all hurting right now, perhaps get off your high horse occasionally.

verfy civilised reply = thank you ....

i did go to the pub ;~)

I was at the game and it was definitely in the first half - showed me that Brown had lost the plot.

EDIT:- That match must have been the previous season (16/17) as I did not go in December 2017 despite having a ticket - there was a train strike and I could not get to the match - and did not go last season as I was on holiday

How weird. You are absolutely spot on. The previous season on 11th March 2017 we lost 2-0 and Fortune was swapped for Ranger after 37 minutes. Here's the stats :-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39163029

Never was at Eastville, either.

I went there 3 times and we didn't win any of them.

Hi, Rovers fan in peace.

Yesterday's game astounded me! I thought you destroyed us in the first half, I couldn't have complained if you had scored 4 in all honesty. We simply surrendered the midfield to you and kept playing a stupid sideways and backwards passing game, advancing with Tectonic pace giving you time to keep your shape and play down down the sides.

I said to my lad at half time that the game was gone and the most we could hope for was to salvage some pride. I could see from the 2nd half kick-off that GC had changed the system of play and you looked in trouble from the first moment. We should have scored in the 46th minute, and once JCH won his pen(he's good at that, he knows what to do, although it was a pen) I knew we would go on to win.

The problem is your players obviously have no confidence and perhaps no real leader on the pitch to pull them together.

A couple of questions if I may.
1) What did you think of Coughlan and were you sad to see him fired with Captain perma-tan and
2) your number 9 Hopper. How do you rate him, how old is he, how long is his contract etc, because he looked a class act.

Best of luck for the rest of the season.

none awarded

The problem is we are rarely in the opposition’s penalty area to win any penalties! If we could spend more time up that end of the pitch and have players running with the ball into the box we might get some, at least it gives the referee a decision to make and we might get some soft ones.

Back