• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

people must be loving the public meltdown, but please can we sometimes just save it for defeats and not also allow the forum to be the same after whatever result we have

..likewise, I feel PB should save his moaning at the players publicly, for defeats. It sounded on the radio like we played pretty well and put in a good shift. Players are like little kids. If you criticise them when they've done well, your criticism has no impact when they do poorly. BTW i'm not a Brown out or in. I just think it's a strange way of man managing people

What I find utterly boring is that regardless of the result, the Brown Out camp find whatever reason to slate him. Yes we know, you don't like him ( you know what, if I had a beer with him, I may not like him ) , BUT, even a win is changed and turned for people that actually take great enjoyment with a win, as to why.

I am not Brown In, nor am I Brown Out. What I am , is a SUFC supporter, that supports. I supported during the good spells under Webb, Fry and Tilson BUT more importantly, I also supported during Alvin, Wignall, Murphy, Newman, Bate times as well. I never looked for how I can turn things.

I bet the radio couldn't believe their luck to get the raw emotion of a manager, straight after a game, managers should take time. I would love to hear some of the Ego Centric PL managers if they got caught straight after a disappointing result, when the team did enough to win, whilst also wasted some absolute guilt edge chances. As ive said earlier, in the car home, I too was peeved, we absolutely should have won last night .. no doubt about it. PB must know he is under pressure and so the emotion got the better of him. The Brown Out ( sorry, I have to call you this, because this is what you are, it doesn't mean I don't understand why you feel this way, because I do ) people must be loving the public meltdown, but please can we sometimes just save it for defeats and not also allow the forum to be the same after whatever result we have

I understand your sentiment but this issue of the manager is quite divisive. The 'Brown outs' are slammed as boring, always banging on about the manager and yet if you read any match thread, the second we score, the pro-Brown's start with the 'The Brown Bashers will be silent now' comments.

I dont know what PB is like as a guy and I certainly do not hate him. I just do not believe he has done as well as he could have and incidents like last night are not going to help him. I understand it was in the heat of the moment but he seems to get heated too often, judging on the sending off's he has had with us, and publicly lambasted Ferdinand for a dismissal. If you lead, lead by example.

Some suggest, that whatever happens, Brown gets the blame. Blame? When matches are reviewed on here, certain players get bashed for poor performances, but apparently its not relevant to mention the managers role in a game.

Our team is not going to win the league but it is poor in consistency and looks bereft of ideas. We know the individuals have something about them but its not working well as a unit. Why?

If PB cuts out his gobby nonsense and gets the players performing to their best, which does not mean winning everything, I would be the first to say well done to him. I don't want him gone if he can produce the goods, I want him gone because I do not believe he can. It's a pity and, with any manger in this position, I would wish him well for the future if he were to go elsewhere.

This does sound like the reaction of someone who is under pressure now.

Only listened on the radio but it did sound like a good performance where we were on top and missed a pen and hit the woodwork twice. We have a good squad IMO that are badly underachieving, if we are playing like that all the time then I'm sure we would be winning more games and PB would have the attitude that it's just one of those things. The fact is we play well and then don't turn up the next match and I think the players need to be hounded until they do show up at every game. The radio commentary praised the energy and closing down, saying we looked like we really wanted to put things right from the weekend. It shouldn't be a reaction all the time though, it should be our default setting and PB has praised performances before this season and bemoaned our luck and the players drop their levels again. The players need to know this isn't good enough and keep the level of commitment up.

Once BBC Essex Sport upload the interview, I'll try and post it here.

I think PB may well be under pressure. Possibly moreso and sooner than we think. He's obviously also had issues with Nile and doesn't know what's going on with Wordy, so might be seeing the thing start to crumble a bit in his eyes. When you feel like that, it's hard to see the positives, of which there were many last night.

What I saw on the pitch, was anything but a side devoid of confidence, ability and desire.

Hopefully, this morning, he'll realize that, as well and get the players together to say as much to them.

What I find utterly boring is that regardless of the result, the Brown Out camp find whatever reason to slate him. Yes we know, you don't like him ( you know what, if I had a beer with him, I may not like him ) , BUT, even a win is changed and turned for people that actually take great enjoyment with a win, as to why.

I am not Brown In, nor am I Brown Out. What I am , is a SUFC supporter, that supports. I supported during the good spells under Webb, Fry and Tilson BUT more importantly, I also supported during Alvin, Wignall, Murphy, Newman, Bate times as well. I never looked for how I can turn things.

I bet the radio couldn't believe their luck to get the raw emotion of a manager, straight after a game, managers should take time. I would love to hear some of the Ego Centric PL managers if they got caught straight after a disappointing result, when the team did enough to win, whilst also wasted some absolute guilt edge chances. As ive said earlier, in the car home, I too was peeved, we absolutely should have won last night .. no doubt about it. PB must know he is under pressure and so the emotion got the better of him. The Brown Out ( sorry, I have to call you this, because this is what you are, it doesn't mean I don't understand why you feel this way, because I do ) people must be loving the public meltdown, but please can we sometimes just save it for defeats and not also allow the forum to be the same after whatever result we have

It's not about liking him. He could be the most arrogant prick ever , but if he does a good job then so be it.

My problem with Brown is that he believes himself to be premier league quality. He is not. He is arrogant without the tools to back his arrogance up.

A bad craftsman blames his tools. Brown signed the players that he pressured Ron into sanctioning and now blames them.

If they are not up to the job he is to blame.

If they are not following his instructions, then it would suggest that he is either not getting his point across or the players are not following orders.

It's a results business and personally, with the players we have we should be much higher.

I don't like Brown and never have. Whilst he was getting results I suffered his giant ego and lack of respect for his players. This year he has his best squad and yet still plays players out of position and picks different formations every week that simply don't work.

He favours players regardless of their performance. This just isn't on.

I don't think a change in manager would necessarily bring about a change in form, but i think it may improve moral on the pitch and off of it.

Comments from a man who has lost of is about to lose the dressing room.

Interesting comments from Anton as well who clearly disagreed with him.

The clock is ticking.

It's not about liking him. He could be the most arrogant prick ever , but if he does a good job then so be it.

My problem with Brown is that he believes himself to be premier league quality. He is not. He is arrogant without the tools to back his arrogance up.

Well, and I know its unlike me to defend Brown, but for all we know, he is of a premier league quality manager. For me, he is not a lower league manager. Every club wants a clean sheet and all good sides are built on a strong defence but there has to be suitable coaching quality and nous for the midfield and attack. With our budget and appeal we can only get a certain level of player and I feel PB wants them to play a way that does not suit them as a unit, instead of playing them to their respective abilities.

For what it is worth, if he is going to go, I would rather he resigned and accepted he has done well but done all he can, and not have another axing on his CV.

Well, and I know its unlike me to defend Brown, but for all we know, he is of a premier league quality manager. For me, he is not a lower league manager. Every club wants a clean sheet and all good sides are built on a strong defence but there has to be suitable coaching quality and nous for the midfield and attack. With our budget and appeal we can only get a certain level of player and I feel PB wants them to play a way that does not suit them as a unit, instead of playing them to their respective abilities.

For what it is worth, if he is going to go, I would rather he resigned and accepted he has done well but done all he can, and not have another axing on his CV.

And that's where I stopped reading

Personally speaking, I'm losing patience with Brown now.

Granted he got us out of League 2, consolidated us the year after and then oversaw a run at the playoffs, but all of it was achieved amid decent backing from the chairman, weak opposition in League 2 and what I would politely describe as "functional" football.

I fundamentally disagree with those saying that last night's comments have no impact on the players. Imagine being publicly slated by your boss after a reasonable performance in which the effort-levels were actually pretty good. It doesn't stack up that he gave the players a bigger rollicking after last night's draw than he did after we got whipped by Rotherham away (for me, Ferdinand's comments show the disconnect between the players and the manager).

Brown needs to look in the mirror and take some ownership if he thinks things are that bad. Perhaps he could:
- Stop playing a midfielder at full-back.
- Start choosing an 11 to win the game rather than simply nullify the opposition.
- Stop publicly throwing players under the bus.
- Focus on the job in hand rather than his various "dream roles".
- Put together a coherent pre-season programme so we start the season in August rather than October.

Are people forgetting the football we played between November and March last year? Some of the best we have played for a long long time.

Brown's comments weren't great, but if I was interviewed after watching a team miss a penalty, miss a 1 on 1, hit the woodwork twice, totally boss a game and limit a home to side to only 1 shot on target (being a penalty) and only come away with a point, I think I would have been pretty much the same.

There was nothing wrong with the preformance last night, and on another day we could easily have won that game by 2 or 3 goals.

Brown's comments weren't great, but if I was interviewed after watching a team miss a penalty, miss a 1 on 1, hit the woodwork twice, totally boss a game and limit a home to side to only 1 shot on target (being a penalty) and only come away with a point, I think I would have been pretty much the same.

There was nothing wrong with the preformance last night, and on another day we could easily have won that game by 2 or 3 goals.

If I'd watched the team I manage totally dominate a game and come within the woodwork of three points, the words I'd use to summarise the affair probably wouldn't be 'disgusted' and 'furious', but maybe that's just me.

I'd also wager that it's not just these comments that'll have irritated the squad but the accumulation of the last few weeks' worth. Brown's been quite down on the squad and performances for a while now and from most reports last night's performance was certainly not one of the worst we've served up. For the players to come off the pitch and be asked by a journalist "Do you agree with your manager's assertion that he should be disgusted by that performance?" will undoubtedly rankle.

I walked out the stadium wondering how we didn’t win after playing well, looking like we had a strong back line defending well and being quite unfortunate at the end when we were pushing for a winner. I don’t think his comments are anywhere near a decent reflextion of the game and performance. I do however understand his frustrations.

Strange, because in the pre-season predictions for that season most people sounded like they'd be delighted at us even challenging for the play-offs. Funny how quickly expectations change.

I forgot that challenging for the play offs gets you promoted

I'd imagine Kightly is fairly miffed this morning too --- after putting his head in where it hurts and needing a load of stitches in his eye , he then hears the manager questioning his commitment to the whole world!!!! Also Fortune + McLaughlin ran their gonads off last night yet PB also questions their mentality in coming off injured.

Well how did that work out for Wordsworth then - when he clearly injured himself early in a game a couple of weeks ago , he carried on for the the 90 mins (scared of a Brown bullying rant ? ) and has obviously caused lasting damage to his calf muscle and could be missing for ages now.

Phil Brown you really need to stay away from the media for a while , coz you continually wind people up , cheese your players off , contradict yourself and generally act like youve lost your marbles. Take a chill pill , take a step back + let Coughlin do the interviews and ramble something in Irish that will make no sense but more importantly wont offend or upset everyone.

We've now reached page 5 and post 77 of a thread that only kicked off at 09:57 last night. It's now ahead of the match reports and ratings thread which started before it by 12 posts. And, I have to say, a lot of the posts on that thread are about Brown rather than the team's performance too. By most accounts we played considerably better than the Portsmouth game and we should have won. I'm not sure what that tells me, but I thought I would share it with you all.

Personally, I'm really looking forward to the Oxford game on the back of last night's performance regardless of Phil's after match comments last night. Off topic, I know, but so what?

Back