• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Burton Albion 0-2 Southend United

A strange team, that worked. It looked like a team again, that was clear from the post goal celebrations.

A slow start from both sides, and yes there was an element of "here we go again" but the confidence started to flow and we got better as the game went on. Burton, were poor but better than Morecambe. New keeper Bellford made one or two good stops and looks a decent loan acquisition. Hills at left back was very tidy and has a bit of skill (and really showed how poor Gilbert has been of late). Sampson and Harris up top caused all sorts of problems, and Dicko will struggle to get back on Monday. Martin as well had a really good game and took his goal well whilst using his brain.

All in all a very positive day. I wouldn't go far as saying we are over our blip, we'll know that on Monday night; but certainly much much better than that what we witnessed during February.

What a difference a week makes! This time last week after watching the shower of..........at Morecambe I was very downbeat and convinced the play offs would be a tall order. Today has changed this. Great team spirit and like others have said all players that came in today did us proud and more importantly they all worked together. Plenty of talking and we played football on the deck - huge change from last weekend and previous weeks. Chuffed to see Harris score as he got in some very good positions - he could come in to his own for us now until the close of season. Same team for me on Monday.

'crisp passing around the box' is the term used about us, in the Brewers match report.

14 shots, 9 on target.

Much more like it.

:clap:

Have to say that was a real team and management effort made clearly evident by way of celebration after Harris got second goal
when all the players ran toward the management on the half way line jumping up and down all together.........
Every one deserved 10 out of 10 today .(Team effort)
There was a balance through the whole side yes i know Burton are not so special but they did beat us at home 1-0
early in the season and they dont give up to easy but today we fought them for the full 90 mins thats all you can ask from our players .
And we played well at times creating some good opportunities with a very high tempo .....i expect some tired legs tonight
Glad i went it was well worth watching hope Monday produces the same effort with same result .

Very decent performance against a tricky Burton side who knew how to pass it around.

I was just so happy to see us go for a second instead of sitting back, surely the first time we have done that this season once going 1-0 up.

Belford - 8 - Good communication, lots of decent saves too, glad he got the clean sheet.

Clohessy - 7 - Decent game, nearly gave Burton a goal with dodgy clearance right at the start mind.
Phillips - 8 - 3 Quality tackles in the first half and was solid throughout.
Barker - 7- To be honest I didn't really see much of Barker today, what I did see he was solid.
Hills - 7 - Better than Prosser and Gilbert put together.

Martin - 8 - He is quality, possibly better than Hall, they both need to be in the team.
Timlin - 7 - Came in and out of the game, but thought him and Grant bossed the midfield in the second half.
Grant - 7 - 4 for the first half performance, 9 for the second half version Grant, so that makes 7.
Sawyer - Good passing and movement down the right in the second half, delivered well at times also.

Harris - 7 - Struggled in the first half with all the hoofing we was doing, unlucky with the header which caused the Burton keeper to pull of a great save, should have scored 2 other easyish chances. Got his goal, should start monday.
Sandsome - 6 - Could have been more positive when going forward on a couple of occasions, slowed the play down, but was good on the ball and linked up with the rest of the team well.

If we beat Crawley on Monday it will be a massive result, they have 3 games in hand, if we win we go 9 points ahead (I think).

From the radio it sounded like predominantly a hard working performance with everyone pulling together. That's something for the dropped ones to think about.

Personally, barring injuries/suspensions, I think we've seen the last of Gilbert and Mohsni, with Dickinson, Hall and Ferdinand only coming back if the existing players don't perform.

My first game this season (though have listened to quite a few) and I must say I was astounded at the team effort and commitment to getting the ball even when passes were going astray after what the site has been saying about them in recent weeks. For me they have to play the same starting 11 on Monday night as those players deserve that recognition. They spent a long time over with the fans afterwards - lt's hope the home crowd encourage them as much as the good away support did. I was immensely pleased to get rid of two superstitions - not wearing my shirt to matches because it seemed to bring bad luck and taking Tom who always sees us lose and not score - he may be an Arsenal fan but even he was singing along!

Great team performance yesterday. Easily the best I have seen us play this year. Harris just edged MOM from Grant and special mention to the 2 debutantes. Thought Hills looked solid and as a result our back 4 looked more composed and along with an assured performance from Belford this was much easier viewing than the usual inevitability that we have been used to this season. Burton were poor but if we can play like that for the rest of the season then I can see us going up automatically but as we all know consistency is something that has been lacking this season.

Very good performance. Much needed going into Monday night. Needs to be the same team out there, providing of course Hills is fit, if not, bring in Prosser.

but as we all know consistency is something that has been lacking this season.

Recently maybe, but remember that 17 match unbeaten run?

Same team for monday, and if that means a long spell on the bench for the Morecambe 3 and goodbye to our Frenchman then c'est la vie.

That was the most enjoyable game for a long time. Not only did we get the 3 points, but I enjoyed the game itself, something that couldn't always be said, even during our unbeaten run.

The team/manager changed the tactics, and used the ability of the midfield and played the ball on the deck, and it was good to watch. The new boys slotted in seamlessly, and looked more at home with their team mates than some of those that have been dropped.

In fairness to Burton, they looked a little toothless, but were missing Zola & Kee, but Blues still needed to take advantage, and they did with aplomb.

Belford: 7 Is a catcher not a puncher and as such, never really gave Burton a second ball as claimed everything. Loud and vocal, speaking with his defence. Good debut.
Clohessy: 7 Done what he's continued to do all season, good solid work. Must of been refreshing to play a game without having to worry about babysitting Mohsni.
Hills: 7 Good going forward, rarely gave the ball away, linked well with the man in front and has a great left foot, and a dangerous long throw too.
Phillips: 7 Marked his man well, made 2/3 crucial challenges too.
Barker: 7 Big turnaround from the man who was probably our most out of form defender. Won his headers and cleared his lines, all you need from a CB.
Sawyer: 7 Nice to have a ball player on the park, didn't see as much of the ball as he'd like, but I don't think I saw him concede possession once when he did. Seems to have listened to Sturrock as he was quite disciplined out wide, rarely coming inside. Used the ball intelligently.
Martin: 8 He really does look above this level, and the more he plays the better he gets. I think we have a much better chance of going up with him on the pitch.
Grant: 7 A game of two halves for me, energetic but wasteful with possession first half. Second half, he ran the midfield, was everywhere winning the ball & free kicks, setting up attack, and the goal. Welcome back Granty.
Timlin: 7 His usual energetic self, although as Grant is in the team now, I think Sturrock has perhaps anchored Timlim more to the middle. And although this takes away from Timlins overall performance a bit, it improves the team quite as bit, and Timmy's smart enough to accept this and do the job in hand. Also, remains our unofficial captain on the pitch. So vocal, and the players always listen to him.
Harris: 8 MOM This was the Harris I was expecting to see when we signed. For someone nearing their mid 30's he ran a lot, he linked well with the midfield and Sampson, he talked to Sampson a lot. Got in good positions, forcing Atkins into one good save and missing another before burying the winner.
Sampson: 7 Worked well with Harris, maybe lacking a bit of match practise as looked a little leggy 2nd half, but continued to work hard. Hopefully a goal will come soon.

No sub really had a chance to make an impact, but each one slotted in well.

Went home smiling not just about the result for once, but the performance as well. Roll on out of form Crawley on Monday.

Well done Blues. Now for FAT BOY on Monday night. Lets really get behind the team and have Roots Hall rocking. A win would be massive as it would put the Creepies 9 points behind us with 3 games in hand which they would be under severe pressure to win.

Just seen the goals on i player....great thinking by Martin for his goal and what a cracking free kick. Harris great follow up from Grant's strike too.

Sounded like a performance where all 11 players pulled in the same direction and played their hearts out. Mark Phillips' tweet said it all really, and I hope that the naughty 4 have been taught a valuable lesson without falling out with the rest of the squad. Special mention for our remarkable quality in depth, which really showed again yesterday. I've said it before and I'll say it again. This is one of the best and strongests squad in the division man-for-man, it's getting the best system to get the best out of them that's the problem!

After the second goal did all the team go to the manager to celebrate ? If so that was down to Harris waving to the team after the ball hit the net to follow his lead.

After the second goal did all the team go to the manager to celebrate ? If so that was down to Harris waving to the team after the ball hit the net to follow his lead.

Yes I think Harris was so delighted to score after a few near misses he did a Thierry Henry - but it was pretty spontaneous that they all went to the side too.

Back