• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Burton Albion 0-2 Southend United

It seems Sturrock hasn't lost the changing room after all.

Except the one that's missing in France?

Anyway, no individual marks from me because it was a 8 out of 10 team performance with no individual excelling. The biggest difference to our style of play being not the return of Sawyer or the debut of Hills but the absence of Kalala with Grant offering better defensive cover (taking a yellow for the team early on) as well as not constantly screwing every clearance.

Had Harris put away any of his three very presentable chances (headed over from a corner, shot straight at the keeper and put it into the side netting) prior to his goal we'd have wrapped it up long before hand.

What was Harris' celebration all about? Getting everyone over to the dugout.

Very good second half display, in particular I thought Harris, Belford, Grant and Martin all stood out, but it was an all round team performance that won it.
Harris made a massive difference after half time. The ball was still being played up quick, but with Harris, Sawyer and Martin we were able to play some decent stuff in their third. Good ball players can do that and all three are certainly that.
Would it be harsh to suggest that with Harris able to use his brain and first touch he was more effective than Dicko, who is more of a target man?
Can't wait for tomorrow, will be a real test and a game we really want to be winning. Got to be same sixteen - give me players who work hard and for each other (on and off the field) everytime.

I think there was a significant difference in play on Saturday ..........

At Morecombe, it was "hoof-ball" - the ball being hit up high and long in the hope of a player or players being able to get the ball, get a knock-down or win a throw-in further up the pitch.

At Burton, the ball was being hit long - but not so high and often into channels (reminded me of the balls we used to play for Dudfield to run on to), often making the Burton players turn and defend facing their own goal ........... but this was also mixed in with some passing from defence to midfield to strikers ....... quite marvellous.

Put simply, there was a progression from hoof-ball (Morecombe) to a direct (and effective at times) style of play (Burton).

We shouldn't get too carried away. I get as excited as anyone about a win, but they were weak and if any decent striker had been up front for them and not that useless Yussef we would have conceded at least one.

That said it was an unusual team that gelled well. I thought Sawyer showed signs of brilliance that will be regularly realised if he gets a run. Him and Martin have the potential to be devastating (but not sure either out-rank Hall).

He works hard and I'm fully behind him but Sampson was poor. You always felt the only way he was going to score is if the ball happenned to bounce off him if he was in the right place. He could never find a half yard of space and the defenders dealt with him confidently. Still his work ethic is admirable.

We shouldn't get too carried away. I get as excited as anyone about a win, but they were weak and if any decent striker had been up front for them and not that useless Yussef we would have conceded at least one.

That said it was an unusual team that gelled well. I thought Sawyer showed signs of brilliance that will be regularly realised if he gets a run. Him and Martin have the potential to be devastating (but not sure either out-rank Hall).

He works hard and I'm fully behind him but Sampson was poor. You always felt the only way he was going to score is if the ball happenned to bounce off him if he was in the right place. He could never find a half yard of space and the defenders dealt with him confidently. Still his work ethic is admirable.

I agree with this. We played well on Sat, but I'm not sure that team will have enough against better quality opposition. The challenge for Sturrock is to get players like Hall and Dicko back into the 11 without losing the team mentality. It's going to be down to his man-management ability.

I agree with this. We played well on Sat, but I'm not sure that team will have enough against better quality opposition. The challenge for Sturrock is to get players like Hall and Dicko back into the 11 without losing the team mentality. It's going to be down to his man-management ability.

No I disagree with this, it's not down to the manager to get Dickinson and Hall back into the team it's down to them to force their way back into the reckoning. It's obvious to everyone that certain players are causing problems and it's the same one's who have been given chances before. Hall and Mohsni aren't the only players at the club and Saturday showed them both that the team can win without them and looked a good deal happier too. Wouldn't be surprised to be saying goodbye to Hall, Dickinson and Mohsni at the end of the season whatever the outcome. Mohsni can go now as he seems to be the main problem with the rest of the team.

No I disagree with this, it's not down to the manager to get Dickinson and Hall back into the team it's down to them to force their way back into the reckoning. It's obvious to everyone that certain players are causing problems and it's the same one's who have been given chances before. Hall and Mohsni aren't the only players at the club and Saturday showed them both that the team can win without them and looked a good deal happier too. Wouldn't be surprised to be saying goodbye to Hall, Dickinson and Mohsni at the end of the season whatever the outcome. Mohsni can go now as he seems to be the main problem with the rest of the team.

I think we actually agree with each other. I'm a big Mohsni fan, but agree he can go now. What I was saying is that I hope Hall and Dicko can be re-integrated as they are 2 of our better players. I accept that there's work for them to do too. If they can't, they'll have to go as well as team unity is more important.

It's interesting the way the mood on Mohsni has changed. For a long time the general feeling on this forum is that he must be included at all costs. This time round, no one seems bothered he's in France. I guess we've finally had enough.

I'm a big Mohsni fan, but agree he can go now.

I too am a big fan - and I am looking forward to "him" coming back - ideal with some of the crosses coming in on Saturday ............ who would he replace is a difficult question to answer ....... perhaps we could sneak 12 onto the pitch and see if the referee notices .............

A very pleasing win where we took the first half for the team to gel and got right on top in the second half. Thankfully Burton were fragile and toothless and when did threaten early on found our loan keeper in good form. Neil Harris must take a lot of the plaudits being instrumental in pulling the team together and giving his performance of the season. On another day he would have had a hat trick, with his first half header well saved and managing to find the side netting in the second half where from my position it looked easier to score. However it is being in the right place at the right time for which Jack Sampson needs to learn.

Belford 8 - Excellent debut, and so vocal seemed to calm the defence, good claimer of crosses, very strong
Clohessy 7 - Usual tidy performance, linked well with Sawyer
Phillips 7 - Another good performance, dealt with everything, did seem to feel his groin a couple of times, hope OK
Barker 7 - Very steady, seems to have regained his confidence, no real alarms
Hills 8 - Stood out, very neat and tidy, good throws as well, excellent acquisition
Sawyer 6.5 - Disciplined, no sideways runs obviously listened to PS, as a result did not stand out as much but played for the team
Grant 8 - Back to the Grant of old, winning free kicks, busy in the engine room, getting forward and shooting on target
Timlin 7 - Did his job, less on the ball with Grant than Kalala, again worked for the team
Martin 7.5 - Intelligent player, excellent free kick, does have quiet spells in games but always looks quality on the ball
Harris 8.5 - MOTM, consummate Pro, reason he got three year contract, see comments earlier
Sampson 6 - Worked hard as legs for Harris, no confidence though when had chances to run on last defender or at goal

Prosser 6 - Done his job when came on for last 15 mins
Benyon 6 - Looked for openings, needs a goal, think could be sharper, looks heavy
Flood 7 - Only on for four mins, looked lively and some nice touches, especially in the corner when seeing the game out.

Same team for me tomorrow, with possibly the only change being replacing Sampson with Flood or Dicko if he has served his punishment. A win tomorrow, playing before the others will really cement a top three place. Avoiding defeat is a must to keep the creepies at bay. We must be playing them at the best time after their loss of Tubbs and Barnett, also their current string of dodgy results.

Lawrie Dudfield was decent enough for us however

Yes, good point :smile:

headbanger%20new%20aug%202010%20%201.gif

Just wondering if Harris improved performance had anything to do with Dicko not playing. Its well known that Harris doesnt like/get on with dicko, so maybe the best way to get the best out of harris would be not to play him with dicko. I would quite like to see harris and benyon upfront together. really think harris could help benyon.

I think we actually agree with each other. I'm a big Mohsni fan, but agree he can go now. What I was saying is that I hope Hall and Dicko can be re-integrated as they are 2 of our better players. I accept that there's work for them to do too. If they can't, they'll have to go as well as team unity is more important.

It's interesting the way the mood on Mohsni has changed. For a long time the general feeling on this forum is that he must be included at all costs. This time round, no one seems bothered he's in France. I guess we've finally had enough.

I was one who thought the club should of got rid after the Oldham game and recently was more than happy that I was being proved wrong - then this...

Just wondering if Harris improved performance had anything to do with Dicko not playing. Its well known that Harris doesnt like/get on with dicko, so maybe the best way to get the best out of harris would be not to play him with dicko. I would quite like to see harris and benyon upfront together. really think harris could help benyon.

Not getting on with someone is no reason for not playing in the same team - Harris is more than professional enough to overcome this if true. If you are saying that Dickinson and Harris don't gel on the pitch then I'm in agreement with you. Harris was brought in to play with Barry Corr remember.
Benyon is a funny one for me - seems a bit of a pointless signing at this stage but as always hope to be proved wrong and hope to see him banging in the goals.

Not getting on with someone is no reason for not playing in the same team - Harris is more than professional enough to overcome this if true. If you are saying that Dickinson and Harris don't gel on the pitch then I'm in agreement with you. Harris was brought in to play with Barry Corr remember.
Benyon is a funny one for me - seems a bit of a pointless signing at this stage but as always hope to be proved wrong and hope to see him banging in the goals.

Didn't PS try to sign Benyon previously ? Perhaps he grabbed him with a view to playing a different style next season and didn't want to miss the opportunity of getting him. Only one person knows.

Didn't PS try to sign Benyon previously ? Perhaps he grabbed him with a view to playing a different style next season and didn't want to miss the opportunity of getting him. Only one person knows.

Even if we do cough and splut our way to promotion this season, I wouldn't expect our style to change that much to what we play now - I think he was in for Benyon before so he must like him. Hope he gets going soon though.

Is it? I hadn't heard that before...

Back