• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

And you call that a punishment that fits this crime? Your not serious are you?

These scrum do not deserve the luxury of living even if that is in a 8 x 8 cell in solitary.

Sod the bleeding heart liberals and bollacks to their human rights. As far as I'm concerned they have none. Their not human.

Er, yes, actually.

Imagine, the rest of your life, which could be 50 years, in solitary. You'll be praying for a length of rope. See what it did to Rudolph Hess.

We used to hang people, it didn't stop people from killing other people.

In America they still hang people, people still murder.

Executions don't deter.

Actually, I'd go one further. I think executions have the opposite effect. You see on the TV from America the "parties" that occur outside prisons on Execution Day. You'll get some with the "FRY HIM" signs having a jolly old celebrations. Then you get the others with the candles and the vigils. They actually make the criminal the victim. I think that's wrong. The criminal must always be the criminal and never the victim.

The taxpayer issue is also wide of the mark as well. I read somewhere, and I wont do the stats thing, that in the US it costs more to execute the criminal than it does to keep them in prison for 20 years. It had something to do with the costs involved, the legal work involved and all that. I'll see if I can find a source.

take for example peter sutcliffe,this guy has cost us all many many millions and for what purpose?

Er, yes, actually.

Imagine, the rest of your life, which could be 50 years, in solitary. You'll be praying for a length of rope. See what it did to Rudolph Hess.

the human mind adapts,so in essence the murderer has a life of luxury whilst their victim has no life.

I've read all the posts each time that this subject comes up and it brings to mind something a friend said to me some time ago...... If an animal just injures someone then it is destroyed no questions asked and no protestations. If a human (allegedly with far superior brain power) were to murder the same person then they get locked away for a few years and are then are free to do it again...... double standards methinks ???

Interesting moral point, although I'd suggest the issue was more why humans have the right to kill an animal and not a human.

Because it wouldn't be murder, it would be execution and have been arrived at as a decision by judge and jury according to the laws of the land.

technically OBL it isn't an execution. It's a death sentence and when it's done the sentence has been executed. You are tight though that it certainly isn't murder. If I was a judge and the evidence was conclusive I wouldn't hesitate to sentence a murderer to death.

Personally, I'd define murder as the premeditated act of taking a life. I understand that the word 'unlawful' would come into dictionary definitions, but I'm afraid I don't see it that way. I guess I just can't agree that killing anyone under any non-combat circumstances sits well with my conscience. It's debasing the essence of humanity (and yes, I am well aware that the murderer didn't show the slightest bit of that towards the victim - but why stoop to their level?) I quite agree that sentences should be longer - get convicted of murder, never come out - and jails should be tougher. But take someone's life? Just wrong in every sense.

If it is such a life of luxury, why haven't you killed someone and handed yourself in?

well,

if i had to choose either death or being banged for the rest of my natural and suffer decent food,exercise,special treatment ect ect i think i know what most would choose.

and it aint death.

Er, yes, actually.

Who mentioned anything about it being a deterrent? which you alluded to in an earlier post. I certainly didn't. It's a punishment that fits the crime.

As for Rudolph Hess. Very bad analogy squire. The prisons of 5 or 6 decades ago do not even compare with those of today. Even those in solitary nowadays are afforded basic creature comforts due to this namby pamby state not wanting to potentially violate their 'human rights'.

Crimes like this deserve no mercy whatsoever from society and that society deserves an appropriate punishment and letting this scrum breath for the next 50 odd years is, IMO, no punishment at all.

Who mentioned anything about it being a deterrent? which you alluded to in an earlier post. I certainly didn't. It's a punishment that fits the crime.

As for Rudolph Hess. Very bad analogy squire. The prisons of 5 or 6 decades ago do not even compare with those of today. Even those in solitary nowadays are afforded basic creature comforts due to this namby pamby state not wanting to potentially violate their 'human rights'.

Crimes like this deserve no mercy whatsoever from society and that society deserves an appropriate punishment and letting this scrum breath for the next 50 odd years is, IMO, no punishment at all.

Graysblue mentioned detterents and my post was in response to his (hence I quoted it).

Hess is an example of the mental instability that long term solitary causes.

Go and watch Pappillion.

one of my fav films,

however todays prisons are not really punishment are they,the cons get top notch food plenty of exercise ie sports ect own telly blah blah blah.

as i stated the human mind adapts,of course for the 1st few months being in nick must be bad news,yet it also becomes their home.

We used to hang people, it didn't stop people from killing other people.

In America they still hang people, people still murder.

Executions don't deter.

Actually, I'd go one further. I think executions have the opposite effect. You see on the TV from America the "parties" that occur outside prisons on Execution Day. You'll get some with the "FRY HIM" signs having a jolly old celebrations. Then you get the others with the candles and the vigils. They actually make the criminal the victim. I think that's wrong. The criminal must always be the criminal and never the victim.

The taxpayer issue is also wide of the mark as well. I read somewhere, and I wont do the stats thing, that in the US it costs more to execute the criminal than it does to keep them in prison for 20 years. It had something to do with the costs involved, the legal work involved and all that. I'll see if I can find a source.

i am certain that when this country executed murderers the rate of murders was around 150 per year in england and wales,today this figure is approaching 2000.

basic maths suggest at this rate more and more prisons will have to be built to house the lifers.

regarding the costs thats down to silly human rights issues i expect.

my view,

someone murders they are tried and convicted if the murder has special relevance ie the ripper ect execute them within 6 weeks.........job done.

of course execution should not be used willy nilly,however in many murder trials i have read/seen it should def be returned.

Graysblue mentioned detterents and my post was in response to his (hence I quoted it).

Hess is an example of the mental instability that long term solitary causes.

Surely this is even less reason to lock them up long term when they could have been hanged. At some stage the prison sentence end and they are let out. Does that mean we will be letting mentally unstable people out of prison?

Surely this is even less reason to lock them up long term when they could have been hanged. At some stage the prison sentence end and they are let out. Does that mean we will be letting mentally unstable people out of prison?

there are many murderers roaming the streets with some almost certain to repeat their crime.

ian huntley was prime to be hung/shot/dismembered ect yet we the taxpayer will have to pay for this weirdo to remain in luxury for the rest of his life.

another question

is myra hindley actually dead???

Because it wouldn't be murder, it would be execution and have been arrived at as a decision by judge and jury according to the laws of the land.

technically OBL it isn't an execution. It's a death sentence and when it's done the sentence has been executed. You are tight though that it certainly isn't murder. If I was a judge and the evidence was conclusive I wouldn't hesitate to sentence a murderer to death.

To me that's just semantics. Murder is murder whatever you want to call it.

I have to admit that, even as a long-term opponent of the death penalty, the only thing that I could think as I read this awful story was, "Kill 'em, shoot 'em like dogs."

I suppose that's why people like me don't make the laws.

If the particular case had occurred in the UK 50 years ago, when we had the death penaly, or in the US ( the states where they still have the death penalty) the perpetrators would still have not been executed as they were not found guilty of Murder.

So, assuming that the Baby P case is the crux of the the debate, is the question that if you are found guilty of causing death, you should be executed ? as this would also include Death by dangerous driving and, as the laws currently stand, assisting suicide

Back