• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Bucks_blue

Manager
If you drive a car, please read -
Sarah Kennedy was talking about this proposed car tax scheme on Radio 2.
Apparently there is only one month left to register your objection to the
'Pay As You Go' road tax.

The petition is on the 10 Downing St website but they didn't tell anybody
about it. Therefore at the time of Sarah's comments only 250,000 people had
signed it and 750,000 signatures are required for the government to at least
take any notice.

Once you've given your details (you don't have to give your full address,
just house number and postcode will do), they will send you an email with a
link in it. Once you click on that link, you'll have signed the petition.

The government's proposal to introduce road pricing will mean you having to
purchase a tracking device for your car and paying a monthly bill to use
it. The tracking device will cost about £200 and in a recent study by the
BBC, the lowest monthly bill was £28 for a rural florist and £194 for a
delivery driver. A non working mother who used the car to take the kids to
school paid £86 in one month.

On top of this massive increase in tax, you will be tracked. Somebody will
know where you are at all times. They will also know how fast you have been
going, so even if you accidentally creep over a speed limit in time you can
probably expect a Notice of Intended Prosecution with your monthly bill.

If you are concerned about this Orwellian plan and want to stop the
constant bashing of the car driver, please sign the petition on No 10's new
website (link below) and pass this on to as many people as possible. Sign
up if you value your freedom and democratic rights -

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/traveltax

This email has gone around the office. Already signed, and to be honest any Government stupid enough to bring it in will face poll-tax like revolts.

I assume those signing the petition are a different subset of motorists who complain about congestion and lack of government investment in our road network?

Last edited:
I would certainly like to register my displeasure at such a ludicrous scheme. Non-working mothers on the school run should be forced to pay far, far more that £86 per month.

They were a real pest back in my student days when cycling into university I had to try and weave past their illegally parked cars as they waited to pick up their kids from school.

Considering a car engine is at its most efficient when cold, short distances are proportionately more damaging to the enviroment. Also to decrease the impact on the health service lack of exercise and obesity is having :A sliding scale of charges should be brought in (disabled permit holders excepted)

Registerd keeper of vehicle Under 50 years old
Distance travelled Under 1/2 a mile £ 20 per Journey
1/2-1 Mile £15
1-2 mile £10
Over 2 Miles Free

Registerd keeper of vehicle 50-60 years old
Distance travelled Under 1/2 a mile £ 10 per Journey
1/2-1 Mile £5
Over 1 Mile Free

Registerd keeper of vehicle 60-70 years old
Distance travelled Under 1/2 a mile £ 5 per Journey
Over 1/2 Mile Free

Over 70
All Free

Considering a car engine is at its most efficient when cold, short distances are proportionately more damaging to the enviroment. Also to decrease the impact on the health service lack of exercise and obesity is having :A sliding scale of charges should be brought in (disabled permit holders excepted)

Registerd keeper of vehicle Under 50 years old
Distance travelled Under 1/2 a mile £ 20 per Journey
1/2-1 Mile £15
1-2 mile £10
Over 2 Miles Free

Registerd keeper of vehicle 50-60 years old
Distance travelled Under 1/2 a mile £ 10 per Journey
1/2-1 Mile £5
Over 1 Mile Free

Registerd keeper of vehicle 60-70 years old
Distance travelled Under 1/2 a mile £ 5 per Journey
Over 1/2 Mile Free

Over 70
All Free

So what you would do when making a short journey is drive around a bit until you reach your free of charge zone.

I think the other glaring error is that rewards people for being old. Given the pension crisis this country is facing, we shouldn't be encouraging old people to hang around longer than necessary. They already get free bus travel, what more do they want?

I plan to do my bit for the economy by not exercising enough and drinking myself into an early grave.

I think the other glaring error is that rewards people for being old. Given the pension crisis this country is facing, we shouldn't be encouraging old people to hang around longer than necessary. They already get free bus travel, what more do they want?

I plan to do my bit for the economy by not exercising enough and drinking myself into an early grave.

Joking aside, that is IMHO one of the major contributory factors in the state of the world and its economy. Healthcare costs are rocketing, primarily because "natures way" of dealing with population growth is being cured and the more people there are the more co2 gets produced.

To be honest if everyone else promises to do it I will off myself on my 65th birthday for the sake of the world, but I will be buggered if I will do it on my own !

Back