• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Benfleet Blue

First XI
Firstly let me say how appaled I was to read the letter printed in the Evening Echo last night demeaning Carl Pettefer.
Football really is a squad game and Steve Tilson and Paul Brush have, in my eyes, put together an excellent squad, certainly with more ability than we have seen for years. Every member of that squad is important, and the majority are the players that have achieved so much and got us where we stand today. Times are exciting, the football excellent to watch, and I, probably like most, can't wait for the next game.
So to read a letter in the Echo basically slating one member of the squad really grinds and is so unneccesary at this moment in time.
Carl Pettefer was an ever present last season, a player who never gave less than 100%, and was a player brought in by Tilly and Brushy, based upon their expertise, and, quite truthfully, who are any of us to question their judgement!
Carl Pettefer was and more importantly, still is, an integral part of our squad who still has a large part to play in the future of Southend United.
I personally find it so sad that when times are so good, certain individuals find it necessary to section certain players for, what I consider to be, unfair and unwarrented criticism.

I can't add much more to that really. Tilson obviously rated Pettefer to make him our only ever present last season. He may not have the skill or pace of Cole, JCR, Gray or even Gower. Pettefer is a different style of player, but he never gives anything less than 100%, and is a team man through and through.

I have no patience or time for people who whinge and whine purely for the sake of it, or as in this instance for some reason they don't like a certain player.

Agree completely. I have stated many times before that, with all our midfield players fit, I wouldn't even have him on the bench, but, if he is happy to stay as part of the squad, then great, and I would be more than happy to see him play if / when injuries occur. He was a vital element of our promotion last season, and has been an excellent player for Southend Utd.

I echo the above sentiments.

At the moment it is difficult to seem him get near the starting line-up (due to the form of others not Petts himself).

But if injuries/suspensions dictated his selection, we could all trust him to come in and do a job.

Every team has it's artists, and it's artisans. Every successful SUFC team has had different types of players, hence the idea of a squad. Petts will still have his part to play this season, and due to the fact he can play in a number of positions (full back/central and wide midfield) he will always be a part of the wider picture.

He is also supposed to be a good influence in the dressing room - Tilly has to think of personality and well as ability.

It must also do the players confidence wonders to see letters effectively saying "look how great we are without him".

Thats increadible, the Echo printing it is a discrace aswell. Carl Pettefer may not be the most exciting player in our squad, and people may not want him tok play for that reason, fair enough, but he has never screwed up for us, and cost us goals or anything like that.

He has worked very very very hard for our football club, and we should be thankinghim for what he has done, not slating him for what he hasnt!!!!

The timing of it sucks as well

The day after one of the best performances I can remember we criticise one of our players? Nice one Echo

Just to confirm, it wasn't me that sent the letter in ...

laugh.gif

I was appalled when I read it last night, it makes you wonder if certain supporters will ever be happy, and I admit that the timing by the Echo was appalling.

When I was reading it I glanced down at the name on the bottom and was very surprised not to see Howard Southwood!!

Where to these f**kwits get off, slaging off someone who has hardly played a game this season..!!!

Petts is an important member of our team, and when we're away from home hanging on to a 1-0 lead we  will need someone with his attributes to help us see out the game.

He played EVERY game last season & we got promoted. Nuff said

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Viking @ Sep. 29 2005,10:16)]Agree completely. I have stated many times before that, with all our midfield players fit, I wouldn't even have him on the bench, but, if he is happy to stay as part of the squad, then great, and I would be more than happy to see him play if / when injuries occur. He was a vital element of our promotion last season, and has been an excellent player for Southend Utd.
Agree 100%.

I think if carl or anyone from the club has seen this then they will ignore that after all the idiot who wrote that letter is nor the manager or the player

Lets remember here carl pettefer was a ever present in the side last year, a side that won promotion and got to the LDV final

The games that petts has played in this year he's done a good job and the future games he will play in i'm sure he'll do much of the same

OK, to deal with this in the proper way...

Don't blame the Echo.  They are merely printing a letter on a topic someone has felt moved enough to write about.  My guess is that the letter would have appeared even if we had lost 4-1.

What is required is a show of support for Carl, or at least condemnation of the original writers opinions as being divisive and counter productive to the good spirit currently evident at the club.

Hopefully the Echo will then print a whole host of supportive letters against this one dissenter.

If they don't, then they can be blamed.

So, email or write your letters of support and see what happens.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ Sep. 29 2005,13:15)]OK, to deal with this in the proper way...

Don't blame the Echo.  They are merely printing a letter on a topic someone has felt moved enough to write about.  My guess is that the letter would have appeared even if we had lost 4-1.

What is required is a show of support for Carl, or at least condemnation of the original writers opinions as being divisive and counter productive to the good spirit currently evident at the club.

Hopefully the Echo will then print a whole host of supportive letters against this one dissenter.

If they don't, then they can be blamed.

So, email or write your letters of support and see what happens.
Just sent an email to The Echo, expressing my disgust at the writer.

I can't criticise The Echo for printing the letter in the first place, free speech blah, blah.

I just wonder what motivates people to actually sit down and write this sort of drivel. Not bothered if mine is printed, but hope others are.

Are these people who write these letters even fans? Everyone on here agrees that Petts is a very valueable member of the team. Ok, he is not the flair footballer but you need a petts type of player in your team in order to be succesful - look at last season. played every game, got promotion. enough said. If, touch wood, injuries did occur to JCR and cole now along with Gower would we shout out that our promotion dream had died and then relegation is calling coz petts has to play? No. We all back petts to come in and do a job. Yeah he probably can't take it round 6 players and score a screamer from 25 yards (I would love to see it though) but he will come in and give 100% and will not quit until the final whistle. Thats what we like to see - a player who gives their all for the club. We have had some prima-donnas before at the club (mention no names) who have came in and yes were good players, but only when they wanted to play. But did not help the team along - unlike petts who you can rely on and wouldn't make taking him down the pub for a pint either.

Petts is a shrimper through and through and would do anything for this club. So if people want to write into the Echo monaing about him maybe they should stop having blinkered vision and actually see petts play for once and see how good he really is. And that goes for any other player. This is one of the strongest squads we have ever had and at the mount we are joint TOP of League 1! So lets keep that in mind and who knows, this time next season we could talk about goin to Elland Road instead of Gillingham. Lets support every player who wears the beloved blue and push them through this season! Come on - Let's be havin ya!!!

Even when the team is doing well, some fans need someone to be a fall guy just so they can have a moan. Even if we were top of the Prem and in the final of the Champions League, they will always find someone to dump on. Pathetic, Petts is a legend!

Back