• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Carl Reader Publicly Pulls Out Of Buying SUFC

I hink the only answer to this man is To put the club into administation .Then ron will be releved of the club A buyer can then be found And from what i have read there would be plenty of willing takers .But the fly in the ointment is would ron rather have the club fold rather than let someone eles take over .Yes we would have to take a points penalty But that would be better than the club being wonded up .

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the money have to be in the HMRC account by March 1?
And therefore, a deal to pay has to formulate before deadline day allowing funds to drop in a timely manner?
If the 11th hour arrived and no loan, Ron would be in a corner demanding some sort of compromise ie partner(s).
If the club were to be wound up, any assets would go to pay creditors, so 'bull-headed' Ron would lose big time.

Simon obviously has some cash burning a hole in his pocket.

He is currently launching a F45 gym in Southend opposite Warrior Square.

The Chelmsford F45 charges £15 a visit or £119 for 10 visits. Not sure that price point is going to work in such a run down part of Southend.
I'm not convinced. It wasn't so long ago he was trying to flog Bitcoin mining get rich quick schemes on Instagram.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Carl and friends wanted to buy much more than the club didn't they?

If they, or anybody else with deep pockets, wanted to buy just the club then I would imagine a deal could be done.

But... if somebody does want to buy just the club (i.e. Southend United Football Club Ltd) they'll need to:
- pay and keep up top date with the company's tax bills (legacy debt, PAYE, VAT etc.)
- pay the players (what they are owed plus future earnings as they become due)
- pay the non-playing staff (what they are owed plus future earnings as they become due)
- pay suppliers what they are owed (St John Ambulance, printers, utilities etc.)
- repay other creditors (Trust, sponsor, anybody else who has loaned the club funds)
- repay Ron the money he and his companies have loaned the club
- possibly pay the back rent on Roots Hall (and B&L?) that has been accrued but not charged
- pay rent, maintenance, and utilities on Roots Hall until Fossets Farm is developed
- agree future rent for the stadium and training facilities at Fossets Farm.

You might get Ron to write-off what's owed to him and his companies, and some of the other creditors might do a deal. There'll be income as well to offset some of the ongoing costs.

Imagine Ron was willing to part with the club for £1 and write off rent and other money owed to him and his companies; I'd estimate that you'd still need £2million at least to pay off current debts and at least another £500K to get to the end of the season.

For your investment, you'd get little in return; player registrations, a National League place, agreement to rent Roots Hall (free?) and probably Fossets Farm stadium complex (nominal rent?). There'd be some football and commercial income presumably; ticket sales, perhaps the residual season ticket money, and anything else that hasn't already been borrowed against and spent.

So basically we're looking for a lottery winner, one or two Hollywood film stars, or some other person looking for the glamour of owning a National League (potentially EFL) football club.... or perhaps 2,500 fans with £1,000 each to spare now and perhaps £50 a month long-term commitment.

So we could've had Simon Cox in an advisory position with a pension fund that could've ransacked us for a housing development - I bet Simon is a nice guy, but... He won us 0 promotions, 0 play offs attempts, had 3 managers sacked during his time here. He also has 0 experience in running a football club, or even being on the board of one. Let alone one that will continue to lose £1.4-2million every year.

Thanks, but no thanks.
While that may or may not be true the problem is evident that Ron will not even correspond to offers which shows he is incapable of making rational decisions. Him holding off narrows his options and power to negotiate almost daily. Any business owner worth their salt would always listen to offers. Doesn't mean they have to take them.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Carl and friends wanted to buy much more than the club didn't they?

If they, or anybody else with deep pockets, wanted to buy just the club then I would imagine a deal could be done.

But... if somebody does want to buy just the club (i.e. Southend United Football Club Ltd) they'll need to:
- pay and keep up top date with the company's tax bills (legacy debt, PAYE, VAT etc.)
- pay the players (what they are owed plus future earnings as they become due)
- pay the non-playing staff (what they are owed plus future earnings as they become due)
- pay suppliers what they are owed (St John Ambulance, printers, utilities etc.)
- repay other creditors (Trust, sponsor, anybody else who has loaned the club funds)
- repay Ron the money he and his companies have loaned the club
- possibly pay the back rent on Roots Hall (and B&L?) that has been accrued but not charged
- pay rent, maintenance, and utilities on Roots Hall until Fossets Farm is developed
- agree future rent for the stadium and training facilities at Fossets Farm.

You might get Ron to write-off what's owed to him and his companies, and some of the other creditors might do a deal. There'll be income as well to offset some of the ongoing costs.

Imagine Ron was willing to part with the club for £1 and write off rent and other money owed to him and his companies; I'd estimate that you'd still need £2million at least to pay off current debts and at least another £500K to get to the end of the season.

For your investment, you'd get little in return; player registrations, a National League place, agreement to rent Roots Hall (free?) and probably Fossets Farm stadium complex (nominal rent?). There'd be some football and commercial income presumably; ticket sales, perhaps the residual season ticket money, and anything else that hasn't already been borrowed against and spent.

So basically we're looking for a lottery winner, one or two Hollywood film stars, or some other person looking for the glamour of owning a National League (potentially EFL) football club.... or perhaps 2,500 fans with £1,000 each to spare now and perhaps £50 a month long-term commitment.
I get what you're saying,but people don't buy football clubs to make money and they know they will bleed money! They do it for fun and because they can.There are the exceptions like man utd etc but no clubs in leagues 1,2 and national actually make money.

While that may or may not be true the problem is evident that Ron will not even correspond to offers which shows he is incapable of making rational decisions. Him holding off narrows his options and power to negotiate almost daily. Any business owner worth their salt would always listen to offers. Doesn't mean they have to take them.

If your name is Ronald Martin and in your mind, you’re a £5 million loan away from hundreds of millions in profit, setting up your family for generations and satisfying your ego.

You would not be listening to random people saying ‘come on, sit at the table, here’s £20mil now **** off’.

At the same time, you wouldn’t be negotiating with a random consortium to buy you out when you may (or may not) already have a new potential investor around the table already… Who knows what is going on behind closed doors.

If your name is Ronald Martin and in your mind, you’re a £5 million loan away from hundreds of millions in profit, setting up your family for generations and satisfying your ego.

You would not be listening to random people saying ‘come on, sit at the table, here’s £20mil now **** off’.

I suspect it is just random people rather than random people with £20m

Back