• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

This whole board is so depressing at the moment, "Tilly out", "brush and tilson are clueless", "this player's cack, I'd play this team" etc etc etc. So much bitching and whining, it may as well be the school playground!!

Cast your minds back three years....just three years to 2003. I was busy working away from Essex and was thoroughly depressed about life, SUFC were being propped up in the football league by only Carlisle and were staring relegation to the conference in the face, the footballing equivalent of staring into the abyss!! These were desperate times, a team devoid of any ideas and a manager that "didn't have the passion in his eyes".

Roll forward to 2006 and what we have achieved under Tilly and Brushy -

a) great form in 2004 to keep us in the league
b) two trips to the Millenium Stadium in the LDV (ok, we lost both but still had good days out)
c) Playoff final win at Cardiff
d) Successive victories over Col U, home and away
e) A League title
f) Victory over a strong Manchester United side live on the box
g) An impending trip to Spurs in the quarter final of a major cup competition
h) A new ground on the horizon

Looks like a pretty impressive list eh?

We've come a long way in a remarkably short period of time and are playing in a division that is clearly a bridge too far at the moment.

Our wage bill is a fraction of the likes of West Brom/Birmingham, so we have no right to be able to attract the better players who can really make a difference at this level. Whether we like it or not, players come for the money, not out of love for Southend United - to quote a familiar old phrase...."you pay peanuts, you get monkeys".

Maybe we will be able to compete a little better wage-wise with the new stadium, but the fact remains that the only reason that this is even on the agenda is due to the progress we have made over the past three years!!

Stop the doom and gloom and get behind the boys, starting this saturday!!

For the first time today someone who talks sense, i come on here cos i can't be arsed to do any work, not to read thread after thread saying get tilly out

well done mate

Agree but hard to lift my spirits. Thought we would do better, didn't expect to win the league but just do better!

People seem to be missing the point here big time. Anyone who has watched our recent performances must agree they have been complete dross at best.

If the team doesnt improve between now and the end of the season Tilson must go no questions. Displays which we are currently managing wont be good enough for the conference let alone league 1.

What is yet to be seen is if the team will recapture some kind of form and get a good run of results. The team DO have the ability to do that but for some reason no one (including tilly) can explain.

Hull was a shining example of the shambles of our football this season, we should of put them to bed long before they took the lead, exactly like Col******r did last night but the team are not performing.

So whos to blame the fans, i dont think so 10+ turning up each week to watch football the same standard it was 3 years ago.

The players, yes they must take responsibility. I agree one or two may not be up to the task but as a team we have enough to make a decent fist of it in the division.

The manager, well this is he's team, he brought in 90% of these players and its him who dictates how we training we train and line up on matchdays. So without any doubt the blame also lays firmly at hes door.

I for one am not happy to be resigned falling back to League One because on current performances we're in for another freefall back to League 2 where some people on this board seem to be at there happiest.

mad.gif
mad.gif

I have to agree with R-Lee. I havn't missed a gamethis season but last few games was poor. Last night against barnsley we seemed to roll over and die and there was no fight and no leaders there. And because they didn't even put any effort in to last nights game it makes me want to criticize the team. If they had put effort in i wouldn't be.

The football is of a far higher standard than 3 years ago..

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SARF @ Nov. 29 2006,15:09)]The football is of a far higher standard than 3 years ago..
We could do the simple things back then, we can hardly pass the ball to one another right now !

Time to take my post tally to 2 in 2 months:

No matter how we've played in these recent months you cannot compare how we are playing this season to that of 3 years ago or that of when we were relegated from the old 1st Division under Whelan.

Under both Chipmunk and Whelan our football was painful to watch, mostly overpaid, heartless, gutless players who showed no passion for the shirt they wore when the chips were down.

To give Alvin his due I felt he honestly wanted to succeed at the club but did not have what it took to do so, Whelan only cared about where his next Guinness was coming from.

In Tilson we have a manager who has proved himself time and time again, I'm so depressed at the moment with finding it hard to see where the wins to keep us up will come from, but should Tilson turn it around and keep us in the Championship he''ll deserve the job for the next 10 years if he wants it!

If we do go down then so be it, he has earned the right to learn by his mistakes, get us back up and keep us there.

Those who call 'Tilson out' should hang their heads in shame!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (118Blue @ Nov. 29 2006,16:36)]Time to take my post tally to 2 in 2 months:

No matter how we've played in these recent months you cannot compare how we are playing this season to that of 3 years ago or that of when we were relegated from the old 1st Division under Whelan.

Under both Chipmunk and Whelan our football was painful to watch, mostly overpaid, heartless, gutless players who showed no passion for the shirt they wore when the chips were down.

To give Alvin his due I felt he honestly wanted to succeed at the club but did not have what it took to do so, Whelan only cared about where his next Guinness was coming from.

In Tilson we have a manager who has proved himself time and time again, I'm so depressed at the moment with finding it hard to see where the wins to keep us up will come from, but should Tilson turn it around and keep us in the Championship he''ll deserve the job for the next 10 years if he wants it!

If we do go down then so be it, he has earned the right to learn by his mistakes, get us back up and keep us there.

Those who call 'Tilson out' should hang their heads in shame!
Well said!

Couldnt agree more.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rusty Lee @ Nov. 29 2006,14:55)]People seem to be missing the point here big time. Anyone who has watched our recent performances must agree they have been complete dross at best.
I would disagree with that whole heartedly. It is only the Barnsley game (which I fully admit I couldn't and therefore didn't attend) that has been that poor in the past few games!!

Not sure that the Man Utd game, Preston game, second half of the Plymouth match and until Steve Bennett took over at Col U were as dismal as you make out!!

We're up the proverbial creek, without a paddle and in a vessel spouting leaks left, right and centre, that I agree with, but I wouldn't have said that we have performed as badly as you make out.

No one has really put us to the sword this year, perhaps with the exception of Cardiff, with most of the games being close and won by the odd goal. We have been poor on occasions, such as Hull and Ipswich, yet have still lost these games to relatively established teams at this level by no more than a couple of goals!!

In my opinion there are fine margins in most sports between success and failure, football being no exception!! SUFC desperately needed a few experienced players at this level at the start of the season and weren't able to do it - highly likely down to the wages that we can offer, which clearly aren't enough.

We have the basis of the side that clawed out of league 2 via the playoffs and whilst I'm sure that the signings Tilly has made have not been as successful as he would have liked, I still think that we are better off than we were three seasons ago.

Anyone doubting Tilson and co need to take a long hard look at themselves. Tilly, Brushy and Uncle Ron as a unit are the best thing to have happened to this club in years, yet a host of myopic f%ckwits can't see that. I despair sometimes!!

We basically need to play for the whole game! SOunds like we didn't turn up first half last night and how many times has that happened this season where we have battered teams but for only half a game.
We don't seem to be as fast to the tackle in midfield and closing the Opposition down. We tend to end up playing from deep in our own half. We lump it forward and good as Freddy and Harrold are they are not people who hold the ball up. Look at Parkin for Hull and look how they have struggled since he has been injured. Lets get Badbuy up front at the weekend and see how that goes.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shooter mcgavin @ Nov. 29 2006,17:46)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rusty Lee @ Nov. 29 2006,14:55)]People seem to be missing the point here big time. Anyone who has watched our recent performances must agree they have been complete dross at best.
I would disagree with that whole heartedly. It is only the Barnsley game (which I fully admit I couldn't and therefore didn't attend) that has been that poor in the past few games!!

Not sure that the Man Utd game, Preston game, second half of the Plymouth match and until Steve Bennett took over at Col U were as dismal as you make out!!
Absolutely. Until that half wit Lino stepped in (if you believe Bennet) we were starting to look a lot more like our old selves, and certainly not playing poorly.

I am a vegetarian peace-loving church going bloke - but if I HAD to lump someone, Mr K. Duguid would be at the top of the list..

down.gif

The question is do we think we have a manager who will take this club forward in the LONG term ie 5 years plus.If the answers yes then we must stick with him through the ups and downs.
If the answer is no then he must go straight away so that we can get somebody in who MIGHT keep us up but there is no guarentee of that.

Last year I suspect we all wanted Tilly and Brush to be here for a long time so that we could build a successful club, now the voices of doom are raised because we are not doing well.

For me it is imperative that we stick with the current set up,clubs that chop and change managers for short term gain get nowhere.Equally we must be sensible with the money we have and not try to overspend our way out of the problem,by buying players giving them long term contracts on fat salaries, we have been there before remember and it nearly cost this club its very life.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rusty Lee @ Nov. 29 2006,14:55)]If the team doesnt improve between now and the end of the season Tilson must go no questions. Displays which we are currently managing wont be good enough for the conference let alone league 1.
The first bit, fair enough, is your opinion on the matter but the second bit is absolute rubbish.

For a start,we have dispatched two spirited league one sides this season.

Also, as I mentioned on another thread, I saw a team who are most likely going to be our opponents should we go down in a 5-2 win. I don't know if you've romanticised your view of League two football over time but we would have demloished either team, maybe both put together.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shooter mcgavin @ Nov. 29 2006,17:46)]I would disagree with that whole heartedly. It is only the Barnsley game (which I fully admit I couldn't and therefore didn't attend) that has been that poor in the past few games!!

We're up the proverbial creek, without a paddle and in a vessel spouting leaks left, right and centre, that I agree with, but I wouldn't have said that we have performed as badly as you make out.

No one has really put us to the sword this year, perhaps with the exception of Cardiff, with most of the games being close and won by the odd goal. We have been poor on occasions, such as Hull and Ipswich, yet have still lost these games to relatively established teams at this level by no more than a couple of goals!!

In my opinion there are fine margins in most sports between success and failure, football being no exception!! SUFC desperately needed a few experienced players at this level at the start of the season and weren't able to do it - highly likely down to the wages that we can offer, which clearly aren't enough.

We have the basis of the side that clawed out of league 2 via the playoffs and whilst I'm sure that the signings Tilly has made have not been as successful as he would have liked, I still think that we are better off than we were three seasons ago.

Anyone doubting Tilson and co need to take a long hard look at themselves. Tilly, Brushy and Uncle Ron as a unit are the best thing to have happened to this club in years, yet a host of myopic f%ckwits can't see that. I despair sometimes!!
Post of the season. Anyone who has considered getting rid of Tilly even for a split second should hang their heads in shame!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shooter mcgavin @ Nov. 29 2006,14:10)]This whole board is so depressing at the moment, "Tilly out", "brush and tilson are clueless", "this player's cack, I'd play this team" etc etc etc. So much bitching and whining, it may as well be the school playground!!

Cast your minds back three years....just three years to 2003. I was busy working away from Essex and was thoroughly depressed about life, SUFC were being propped up in the football league by only Carlisle and were staring relegation to the conference in the face, the footballing equivalent of staring into the abyss!! These were desperate times, a team devoid of any ideas and a manager that "didn't have the passion in his eyes".

b) two trips to the Millenium Stadium in the LDV (ok, we lost both but still had good days out)
e) A League title

We've come a long way in a remarkably short period of time and are playing in a division that is clearly a bridge too far at the moment.

Our wage bill is a fraction of the likes of West Brom/Birmingham, so we have no right to be able to attract the better players who can really make a difference at this level. Whether we like it or not, players come for the money, not out of love for Southend United - to quote a familiar old phrase...."you pay peanuts, you get monkeys".

Maybe we will be able to compete a little better wage-wise with the new stadium, but the fact remains that the only reason that this is even on the agenda is due to the progress we have made over the past three years!!

Finally someone talking sense - was thinking about doing it myself but good someone has done it at last..!

id rather be in and out the championship of playing league one that nearly getting relegated to the conference!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shooter mcgavin @ Nov. 29 2006,14:10)]This whole board is so depressing at the moment, "Tilly out", "brush and tilson are clueless", "this player's cack, I'd play this team" etc etc etc. So much bitching and whining, it may as well be the school playground!!

e) A League title

Top, top, top post.

Back