• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Slipperduke

The Camden Cad
When Petr Cech acrobatically tipped Steven Gerrard's late shot over the bar, he prevented Chelsea from having to win their second leg 3-0 in order to progress to the Final. When John Arne Riise stooped to head past Pepe Reina, he left the London side needing just a goalless draw to book their tickets to Moscow. The line between success and failure has never been so thin.

The four previous semi-finals between these two teams have been insomnia cures and after 25 minutes of this tie, I feared that we were in for another snoozefest. Both sides appeared to have reached the conclusion that kicking the ball in the air as hard as they could was the route to success. Then, as Joe Cole spurned a golden opportunity to give his side the lead, Liverpool burst into life and when Rafa Benitez finally switches off his bedside lamp tonight, he'll know that his players should have made more use of their dominance. After Cole's aberration, a full 45 minutes passed before Chelsea had another attempt on goal. Unlike Liverpool, their style of play remained distinctly under-evolved, but Didier Drogba struggled to do anything of note with the long-balls, bar upsetting the home fans with a few more outings of his time-honoured dying swan routine.

Liverpool, in contrast, grew in strength as the game wore on and, though their goal was as scrappy and as undignified as you'll see at this level, their short passing was tremendous. But of all the criticisms you can throw at Chelsea, you cannot doubt their commitment, their resilience and their ability to fight until the bitter end. That they take such a commanding position back to Stamford Bridge next week is due mainly to the brilliance of Cech, who has the worst luck with injuries, but refuses to allow them to prevent him taking his place between the sticks. Held together by two protective masks, he made the critical saves that prevented Liverpool from romping home.

Fernando Torres, so often the hitman with the killer touch, was neutralised by the heavy-handed attentions of John Terry and Ricardo Carvalho. By fair means or foul, they allowed him just two chances and Cech was there to save the day on both occasions. Frank Lampard created a number of golden opportunities for his team-mates, but was at fault for Liverpool's goal and looked a little off the pace, which is hardly surprising, given the emotional turmoil that the England midfielder has been through.

Liverpool fans will be devastated at this late disaster, especially as they were the better team and deserved to win the tie. However, it is the nature of the equaliser that will cause the stinging pangs of bitterness in their hearts. The late ball into the box by Salomon Kalou wasn't fast, it wasn't even particularly dangerous. All Riise had to do was to blast it into the stands with his right foot. Unfortunately, the Norwegian full-back isn't very comfortable with that boot. He'll be even less comfortable when he watches the endless slow motion replays of his doltish header.

It is of course, only half-time in the third epic encounter between the two teams in four years. All Liverpool have to do is to score early at Stamford Bridge and the tie will be blown wide open once again. Sadly for Liverpool, they've failed to score at that stadium in their last four visits. Avram Grant's smile at full-time was as wide as the mouth of the Mersey, and no wonder. Finally, a press conference that he could savour.

I have to admit that Liverpool were a fair bit better than I was expecting. Mascherano has shown consumate professionalism in bouncing back from his sending off and Kuyt and Arbeloa, IMO, were the unlikely heroes in a good Liverpool performance.

As for Chelsea, I can't imagine this will shake off any criticism and it still seems somehow inevtiable that Grant is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. Having Drogba around will help matters but Grant may do well to support his lead striker. As Slip says, though, the single goal has changed the whole complexion of the tie and indeed the result. However, this time, I don't think Grant got it that far wrong. In spite of their league indifference, Liverpool are very worthy Champinons League foes and an away tie at Anfield, as proved in recent years by Chelsea themselves, is one of the hardest games i the competition.

Lampard maybe wasn't completely ready but I'm sure he would be the first to say that his Yakubu moment was just a lapse in concentration rather than relating to earlier incidents in the week. Maekele could certainly have atoned but opted to jump with his back to the ball and his own goal rather than attempt a clearance and generally struggled. Malouda was very poor again but I have some sympathy as he's not been a shadow of his former self since moving to Chelsea. All that and they got a great result at Anfield.

As with previous seasons, the second leg should be more interesting but this time the onus is on Liverpool to attack and score at Stamford Bridge, a feat they've not achieved for some time.

If anyone in the Liverpool dressing room patted John Arne Riise on the back and said, "Cheer up, it'll all look better in the morning," they were lying. In the cold light of day, his injury-time own goal looks worse than ever. It's not so much the grisly stupidity of his knee-high header that makes even an objective viewer recoil as if stung by a wasp, it's the ramifications. Liverpool have gone from having a commanding advantage over their adversaries, to suddenly having it all to do.

Their record away at Chelsea stinks. despite my erroneous claims to the contrary in my post-match report, you have to go a lot further back than four matches to find the last Liverpool goal there. While they were listed as the away team for their FA Cup tie two years ago, their 2-1 victory was played at a neutral venue. Rafa Benitez has never won at Stamford Bridge. Gerard Houllier snatched a 1-0 win there in January 2004 with a goal from Bruno Cheyrou, who you may recall Houllier labelling as the next Zinedine Zidane. Riise came on as a late sub there as well, this time without handing his opponents a critical equaliser.

Liverpool have improved significantly in the past three months, evolving from a rather fortunate, dour outfit into an intriguing proposition. They've got something approaching a swagger about them these days, but they're not quite there yet. It's not a question of simply whether they can make it ninth time lucky at the Bridge. It's whether or not they can do it without allowing Chelsea to score. The Blues haven't been beaten at home for 80 games. Why should Liverpool be the ones to break the record? Fernando Torres was stomped out of the game by John Terry and Ricardo Carvalho. Will Benitez tinker with the golden formation in order to alleviate the pressure on the young Spaniard?

Chelsea's modus operandi is to squeeze past opponents by playing badly, but continually pushing and working until something falls their way. Not since they pulverised Manchester City 6-0 has anyone left Stamford Bridge saying, "I've just seen this year's champions." Ironically, despite the Chelsea fans' desire to play the kind of football that delights the occupants of The Emirates Stadium, Arsene Wenger would kill for a bit of their consistency. From the comfort of Chelsea's odd, nuclear bunker of a press box, I've seen the Blues turn countless matches around after sustaining heavy, but fruitless pressure.

They will welcome back Michael Essien to the fold and drop their lines deep, daring Liverpool to come out on the offensive, leaving enough space for Salomon Kalou or Joe Cole to punish them on the counter-attack. Liverpool fans may mock Stamford Bridge's comparative lack of atmosphere, but I can assure you that they can be pretty loud over there when they want to. The home supporters will have watched in envy at the way that The Kop has provided a twelfth man to their opponents in the past and you can bet that The Matthew Harding Stand will be sounding off in an effort to emulate them.

One early goal will make all the difference for Liverpool, but how many visitors to Stamford Bridge have said that in the last 80 games there? Hang your head, John Arne Riise.

Torres might have got a kicking from Carvalho and Terry, but could so easily have had a couple of goals. If he gets the same amount of chances next week, expect him to take at least one of them.

Sad to say, I think we're seeing Ronaldo being shown up on the big night. Putting the penalty to one side, too often he's tried to rely on hitting the ball and running when he's up against one of the fittest footballers in modern times.

That said, I'm surprised Barca have taken Messi off. Yes, Xavi has been getting more influential but all the best play was still going through Messi. I would have given him another ten.

What the...what has Ferdinand just done that for?

Oh yeah, forgot Rooney was on the pitch as well. Tevez or Evra has probably impressed me most for Utd. Maybe Yaya Toure for Barca.

Back