• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

fbm

Blue tinted optimist⭐
Todays Daily Post contains the following article, posted on a Chester Site;

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Team-strengthening continues apace at Chester Dec 16 2004

By Neil Turner, Daily Post

CHESTER CITY chairman and manager Ian Rush will start their promised playing squad strengthening programme today when they complete the loan signing of two players and are anxiously awaiting a decision on another player following a bid last night.

The Luton Town players Dave Baylis and Ian Hillier will complete temporary transfers, while City have made a five-figure bid for Shrewsbury Town's Wales under-21 midfielder Jamie Tolley.

Central defender Baylis started his career with Rochdale, before joining Luton three years ago and has made over 200 league appearances.

Twenty-four-year old Hillier, who started his career with Tottenham Hotspur and is also a Wales U21 international, can play in the heart of defence or as a wing-back. Both loans are with a view to permanent transfers.

Vaughan said last night: "I said earlier this week that we would bolster the squad and this is just the beginning.

"We have also submitted an offer to Shrewsbury Town for their midfield player Jamie Tolley. The offer is a five-figure bid, and hopefully we will receive a positive reponse following our approach."

Tolley was a member of the Shrewsbury side who drew 1-1 with City last Saturday.

The City chairman also revealed that the club were chasing a striker who is currently with a Premier$hite side.

He said: "The player has progressed through the junior ranks of a Premier$hite outfit, is highly thought of and if his club agree to a loan arrangement, he will be with us for the remainder of the season."

Football League clubs are allowed up to three loan players at any one time, this season.

However, Chester last night received a rejection from Coca-Cola League Two sode Yeovil Town, following their second attempt to sign the ex-Everton striker Phil Jevons.

"It is disappointing, but our offer was a fair one, it was close to six figures. I will now discuss the matter with Ian (Rush) and we will discuss our next move, if any."

City's reserve side defeated Rochdale 3-1 in a Pontin's League match yesterday, the goals were scored by Kevin Ellison and two from Sean Whalley.

Worringly, however, striker Darryn Stamp limped off near the end of the game.

This could either work for us or against us. On the plus side it looks like they will have 2 and possibly 3 new faces that wouldn't have had time to gel with their team mates, so as a team they will be less than solid. However, they also have 3 people who haven't been caught up with any of the other rubbish Chester have been involved with this season and we know how loan signings play when they are still loanees, don't we?

Hmm.

They could be hit or miss though. Remember some of our loan signings?

Hits: Stephen Kelly, Tony Scully (I rated him dunno bout the rest of you), Steven Clark, Jay Smith, Ronnie Henry (Weren't bad but not as good as Kelly)

Misses: Daniel Marney, Brian Barry-Murphy, Dominic Foley.

Lets hope they get a Marney or a Foley as opposed to a Kelly or Smith.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ Dec. 16 2004,11:12)]This could either work for us or against us.  
Really? You don't say!
biggrin.gif

He truly was appalling. Scored Vs Orient but did very little else whilst with us.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoyWonder2 @ Dec. 16 2004,11:33)]He truly was appalling. Scored Vs Orient but did very little else whilst with us.
Ah, you see that was one of the few games I saw him play - and he was one of the few half-decent players that day in a truly dire performance by the Shrimpers.

There's probably a thread in this, you know...

*Crap players who you thought were good because you saw them on a good day (e.g. Tony Richards v. Halifax - surely the quintessential example of this?!)

*Good players who you thought were crap because you saw them on an off day (e.g. Fredy Eastwood against Bury last weekend, by all accounts... ballooned the ball over from about 1 yard out)

rock.gif
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]*Crap players who you thought were good because you saw them on a good day (e.g. Tony Richards v. Halifax - surely the quintessential example of this?!)

I'm sure after that game most of us thought he was the saviour and could walk on water, just me then. My brother walked out after the game with me and said he is pants, granteed he scored two but he could have had 5. I then bet him a £20 on Tony Richards reaching the magical 20 goals a season. Needless to say I was £20 short come end of the season.

Luton Season Ticket Holder chum says Baylis is pretty good and Hillier isn't. He was very surprised Luton let Baylis go, even on loan.

So sounds like a 'Stephen Kelly' and a 'Daniel Marney'.

Looking at the Luton site, Bayliss has made 1 sub appearance for them this season, whilst Hillier hasn't played any part in any games this season. Last season Bayliss made 7 starts whilst Hillier made 10 starts.

That would suggest that they're hardly going to be match fit.
rock.gif

We shouldn't be worried about it anyway, we should still have the quality to beat them whether these 2 play or not.
wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Dec. 16 2004,11:48)]There's probably a thread in this, you know...

*Crap players who you thought were good because you saw them on a good day (e.g. Tony Richards v. Halifax - surely the quintessential example of this?!)

*Good players who you thought were crap because you saw them on an off day (e.g. Fredy Eastwood against Bury last weekend, by all accounts... ballooned the ball over from about 1 yard out)

rock.gif

laugh.gif
I thought Lee Chapman was quite good, but then I only saw him play one game...

oops.gif

Dont want to be a pessimist but I reckon our record against Chester is pretty poor. Not sure if I can even remember beating them over the years. I especially remember an FA cup game when we lost 0-4 at the hall, with Keith Edwards getting a hat trick.

It may be just my alcohol-affected memory, but I swear we beat Chester last time we played them at the Hall (in their relegation season)

we certainly beat them at their place a few years back (may have even been our protion season) It was the week before Christmas and its the only time I have been to Chester. We won 1-0.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (piersend @ Dec. 16 2004,12:42)]Dont want to be a pessimist but I reckon our record against Chester is pretty poor. Not sure if I can even remember beating them over the years. I especially remember an FA cup game when we lost 0-4 at the hall, with Keith Edwards getting a hat trick.
We beat them 4-1 on a sweltering hot day in August a few years back under Webb. I've never been so hot at a football match, the site of hundreds of men dripping with sweat at half time in the bar is not a memory I wish to keep!

Tony Richards scored twice and should've had three or four more in that game!

Andy_S,

You sure your not talking about the Halifax game there mate.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoyWonder2 @ Dec. 16 2004,13:07)]Andy_S,

You sure your not talking about the Halifax game there mate.
Oh yeah!

Bugger.
biggrin.gif

I'm sure we beat Chester at home a few years back. Oh well, I'll crawl back into my cave never to speak again after that.
tounge.gif
oops.gif

This is an different Southend Utd side to the one that got beaten 1-0 by Chester in 1998 & two draw at their place & our 3-1 win agasint the worst Chester side in their history. Iam sure they are fearing at the thought of playing away to an top 6 side with an forward that score 9 goals in 12 game with pacy forward as his side kick.

I hope Southend player's don't think this game an walk-over, we need to hit them hard from the start and score first as they could be hard to break down if they score first instead of us.

Hard to break down? They're shipping goals in lorry-loads at the moment.

Looking at the current situation of both clubs, I'm thinking 3 points is a very realistic aim, anything less then I'm going to be a tad disappointed.

Back