• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

'Classic' TV shows you hate

Each to their own and all that, but no. It's just ****.

I think it went downhill in its later years, but the early ones, with Lennard Pearce playing Grandad, were excellent. Funnily enough, this appeared in The Times earlier this week. Matthew Syed is a bit of a pseud but I make him right on this one.

"I couldn’t help analysing the success of Only Fools and Horses as it played out on an almost permanent loop over Christmas.
When you step beyond the flawless acting, the first thing you note is the tautness of the script. There is no flab. Every line adds complexity to the characters, turbocharges the narrative or makes you laugh out loud, often all three at the same time.
What seems indisputable is that the late John Sullivan, the creator of Only Fools, was one of our finest writers, the equal of any modern comic novelist or playwright. And only cultural snobbishness would say otherwise."

Wouldn't call it classic but I can't stand Friends. Fawlty Towers is a work of genius whether you like Cleese or not.

You wouldn't call the biggest sitcom of all time, which is still shown every day in pretty much every country on Earth after 20 years a classic?

Agree on Fawlty Towers obviously. What a show.

With SAM 100% with Friends, complete tripe, I really can't stand it, comedy for people without a sense of humour.

MK hang your head in shame about only fools and horses, absolutely brilliant, can't think of a family friendly sit com that is better

Love all of those mentioned so far. Hate lots of TV, but not much that anyone would call classic I reckon.

I think it went downhill in its later years, but the early ones, with Lennard Pearce playing Grandad, were excellent. Funnily enough, this appeared in The Times earlier this week. Matthew Syed is a bit of a pseud but I make him right on this one.

"I couldn’t help analysing the success of Only Fools and Horses as it played out on an almost permanent loop over Christmas.
When you step beyond the flawless acting, the first thing you note is the tautness of the script. There is no flab. Every line adds complexity to the characters, turbocharges the narrative or makes you laugh out loud, often all three at the same time.
What seems indisputable is that the late John Sullivan, the creator of Only Fools, was one of our finest writers, the equal of any modern comic novelist or playwright. And only cultural snobbishness would say otherwise."

Couldn't of put it better myself.

With SAM 100% with Friends, complete tripe, I really can't stand it, comedy for people without a sense of humour.

MK hang your head in shame about only fools and horses, absolutely brilliant, can't think of a family friendly sit com that is better

Totally disagree. Friends despite it's sometime sugary and cloying nature was original and sometimes incredibly funny.

I also have an issue with Eastenders - it's so ****ing miserable and depressing, and always about bloody gangsters. Yawn. At least Corrie has some humour.

You like friends and dislike Only Fools and the wire (which is genius), no point continuing this MK we are obviously very different people and no debate is going to change that

Back