• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Clegg and Alexander in danger?

Uncle Leo

This cook is an anti-semite
Front page story in The Times today suggests Labour are looking at a 'decapitation strategy' of trying to get Nick Clegg and Danny Alexander beaten in their respective constituencies. Idea being that they are the two Lib Dems most closely associated with the coalition, so with them out of the way, a Lab/Lib Dem coalition could be more in play.

Looking at the betting, Clegg looks quite safe (still 2/7 to win) but Alexander is already an outsider in Inverness, with the SNP odds-on at 4/9.

I can see why they are thinking of it - although official sources say no such plan is in place - but it does strike me as a rather negative approach. Should Labour not try and focus on their own strengths (insert joke here)?

The odds on Clegg look rather generous to me -given the large student population in Sheffied.I can't imagine any of them being tempted to vote Lib Dem this time round.

Alexander's seat will be taken by the SNP -Labour's natural allies in the next parliament.

The odds on Clegg look rather generous to me -given the large student population in Sheffied.I can't imagine any of them being tempted to vote Lib Dem this time round.

Alexander's seat will be taken by the SNP -Labour's natural allies in the next parliament.

Can't see a Nat/Labour coalition. Firstly people forget about the number of NI MPs and most importantly the price of coalition with the Nats is another ****ing referendum (the neverendum). Labour cannot afford to lose their MPs in Scotland as they will be wiped out in England and we will have a forever Tory govt. Interesting times.

Just been in touch with my mate who does the politics odds for Ladbrokes. That news story hasn't resulted in him changing his odds for either constituency.

Can't see a Nat/Labour coalition. Firstly people forget about the number of NI MPs and most importantly the price of coalition with the Nats is another ****ing referendum (the neverendum). Labour cannot afford to lose their MPs in Scotland as they will be wiped out in England and we will have a forever Tory govt. Interesting times.

I didn't say a coalition.Expect a Confidence and supply agreement.

Who knows?Labour might still get an absolute majority.

Interesting times indeed.

I didn't say a coalition.Expect a Confidence and supply agreement.

Who knows?Labour might still get an absolute majority.

Interesting times indeed.

One thing I'm sure of is Labour will not get a majority. By May unemployment will still be down, wage rises will have started and the prospect of Ed Balls in charge of the finances will have led many to run for the hills and the Tories will be attascking Labour left right and centre and believe me they are an easy target at the moment. Labour are offering nothing but higher taxes, which will hit middle England whose support they need.

Front page story in The Times today suggests Labour are looking at a 'decapitation strategy' of trying to get Nick Clegg and Danny Alexander beaten in their respective constituencies. Idea being that they are the two Lib Dems most closely associated with the coalition, so with them out of the way, a Lab/Lib Dem coalition could be more in play.

Looking at the betting, Clegg looks quite safe (still 2/7 to win) but Alexander is already an outsider in Inverness, with the SNP odds-on at 4/9.

I can see why they are thinking of it - although official sources say no such plan is in place - but it does strike me as a rather negative approach. Should Labour not try and focus on their own strengths (insert joke here)?

Labour aren't in any way trying to decapitate Alexander. They'll be, what, 3rd(?) in that seat.

This is their way of saying that they are resigned to not winning a majority and that if they are the single largest party then they'll look to form a coalition with the Lib Dems, but that they won't negotiate with Clegg.

What will be interesting is if Labour have the most seats but the Tories win the popular vote. What will the party of proportional representation do then?

Labour aren't in any way trying to decapitate Alexander. They'll be, what, 3rd(?) in that seat.

This is their way of saying that they are resigned to not winning a majority and that if they are the single largest party then they'll look to form a coalition with the Lib Dems, but that they won't negotiate with Clegg.

What will be interesting is if Labour have the most seats but the Tories win the popular vote. What will the party of proportional representation do then?

Think you're confusing Labour with the Lib Dems.:winking:

By any means necessary....

Cleggs constituency isn't very studenty. It's affluent and middle class. The rest of sheff is very red

Cleggs constituency isn't very studenty. It's affluent and middle class. The rest of sheff is very red

Is that where you live then? :smile:

(BTW, as a student I lived -for a year-in posh Edgbaston in Brum, in a rented ground floor flat with 4 other students.One of the other floors was rented by students too.Appearances can be deceptive).

No he is not, he is asking who will the Lib Dems side with considering that their Proportional representative ideals may be in conflict

Right you are.

I certainly can't see Labour making any sort of commitment to PR in their 2015 election manifesto.

Last edited:
(BTW, as a student I lived -for a year-in posh Edgbastion in Brum, in a rented ground floor flat with 4 other students.One of the other floors was rented by students too.Appearances can be deceptive).

that's handy to know.

PS - this yellow Lib Dem thread prefix doesn't really work does it?

Is that where you live then? :smile:

(BTW, as a student I lived -for a year-in posh Edgbastion in Brum, in a rented ground floor flat with 4 other students.One of the other floors was rented by students too.Appearances can be deceptive).

Right you are.

I certainly can't see Labour making any sort of commitment to PR in their 2015 election manifesto.

Obviously didn't live there long enough to learn how to spell it!

#barnabluegetsitwrongagain

Back