• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I think Prosser is unlikely to be anything other than back-up in L1. He deserves huge credit though as IMHO he's the player who has improved the most over the last few years. There were times in the early days I used to shudder when I saw his name on the team sheet but over the past couple of seasons he's been extremely unlucky with injuries that have seen him drop out of the side when he was arguably one of our best performers at those times. You know what you get with Prosser, 100% commitment to the cause - a defender who will throw his body or head in the way of anything. I'll always respect players that give their all on the pitch every time they wear the shirt and if he does move on I'd thank him and wish him the best of luck.

Last edited:
So why didnt he choose him over Barrett?

He isnt first choice however you want to look at it.

What you mean is that he wasn't first choice at the end of last season due to form. That doesn't mean he can't be first choice again next season if his pre-season form is better than the alternative. Moreover, he was first choice before that, and before he was injured. In fact he was so first choice Barrett even questioned why he had been signed, and then announced his resignation.

What you mean is that he wasn't first choice at the end of last season due to form. That doesn't mean he can't be first choice again next season if his pre-season form is better than the alternative. Moreover, he was first choice before that, and before he was injured. In fact he was so first choice Barrett even questioned why he had been signed, and then announced his resignation.

He has lost his place in the side two seasons running due to injury didnt he hence we signed Sokolik/Egan and couldnt get back in because we found better options. I dont think he has missed out due to form at all, he has been playing ok for the last two seasons, but still deemed not worthy of a first team place when we got alternatives.

Didn't Barrett do that when it was Thompson and Binnon-Williams playing and not Prosser ? Sure they were the pairing being used before Barrett was brought in ahead of Prosser?

Every poster here assumes the decision is whether WE want to keep Prosser rather than HE wants to be kept. I rather suspect he'll be after first team football (wouldn't you be) and when PB can't guarantee him that he'll look at offers elsewhere.
Cambridge seem to be gearing up for a bigger challenge next year, so that may prove more attractive than relocating to the West Country.

At a general level, whilst we clearly want to keep the nucleus together, adding a few new faces and ideas is never a bad thing. With that considerd, I'm surprised PB hasn't let a couple more go so he can get a couple more in.

And all this panic about no signings when we don't play a competitive game for 2 months - some people really need to get a grip, especially those who have been spectacularly and vocally wrong before

Not true. I said ages ago in this thread he would go because he wanted to. Now I've typed this it sounds a bit childish, but what the heck, there's been a fair amount of that on SZ today:smiles:

If the choice was only Prossers he cant do anything about it, he is contracted.

only if the club chooses to enforce the contract, which there's no way it would. We're in the lower leagues where it's all free transfers. Prosser isn't Raheem Stirling where there's 30 million quid at stake.

Just thinking back didnt we just extend his contract automatically meaning if anyone wants him they need to pay for him.

only if the club chooses to enforce the contract, which there's no way it would. We're in the lower leagues where it's all free transfers. Prosser isn't Raheem Stirling where there's 30 million quid at stake.

Why did we extend it then ?

Very true that you rarely get transfer fees, but my point was that if Luke leaves it wont be purely his decision, the club will have to be happy for him to as well or they wont cancel the contract.

Just a thought.... If Sturrock did come on for Prosser would anyone accept a swap with Sokolik? He wasn't released by Yeovil so must be in Sturrocks plans. I do like Prosser and don't understand the "not good enough for League 1" comments. He isn't the only one in the squad that has a question mark over their suitability to League 1.

He has lost his place in the side two seasons running due to injury didnt he hence we signed Sokolik/Egan and couldnt get back in because we found better options. I dont think he has missed out due to form at all, he has been playing ok for the last two seasons, but still deemed not worthy of a first team place when we got alternatives.

Didn't Barrett do that when it was Thompson and Binnon-Williams playing and not Prosser ? Sure they were the pairing being used before Barrett was brought in ahead of Prosser?

As you say, he lost HIS place due to injury, i.e. it was his place to lose. He has no control over the form of others. PB is very conservative as doesn't change things that aren't broken.

Moveover, you're basing the future on what has happened in the past. It doesn't necessarily follow that that will happen again.

As I stated at the start, I have a feeling he'll go, but I really hope he stays to fight for a place.

Why did we extend it then ?

Very true that you rarely get transfer fees, but my point was that if Luke leaves it wont be purely his decision, the club will have to be happy for him to as well or they wont cancel the contract.

We extended it because PB wants him here. However if Prosser turns round and says 'actually boss I'd like to move on as I want to play every week' PB is hardly going to force a player who doesn't want to be here to remain. It's the same with most of the squad. Talk of fees is nonsense too - we may get some loose change, but clubs in the lower leagues rarely pay each other for players any more unless the player is a real prospect. Whilst I'm a big fan of Prosser, he's an honest pro only.

Just a thought.... If Sturrock did come on for Prosser would anyone accept a swap with Sokolik? He wasn't released by Yeovil so must be in Sturrocks plans. I do like Prosser and don't understand the "not good enough for League 1" comments. He isn't the only one in the squad that has a question mark over their suitability to League 1.

Me, me, me. Imagine Sokolik and Bolger tutored by Barrett. Awesome.

no. We have 2 right footed centre halves, plus white who can do a job if required. Why would we recruit a third?

That's a little unfair. Brown has consistently chosen a left footed player and a right footed player when that has been possible, so he was very unlikely to choose Prosser for the right side. The last time he played a left footed defender on the right was BW as a Sun right back. That went so well that BW was not on the bench for the next game.
Luke was and as been unlucky, in that Brown was very consistent all season, whether they played bad or not, as long as they won he kept the same side
BW at Oxford was terrible, but kept his place

no. We have 2 right footed centre halves, plus white who can do a job if required. Why would we recruit a third?

I don't get this right foot left foot bit. As professional footballers it shouldn't really matter. For example if you have a left footed CB and a right footed CB paired together, what happens when the ball approaches the space between the two of them? Do they both let it go because it's not on their good foot? of cause they don't because they can use the other one as well. Prosser has improved immeasurably since he first came to us, but Sokolik has so much more potential. If a swop was on I'd take it.

Once again like the Corr thread some absolute dross being posted. Prosser is plenty good enough for Lge 1 and as for being only a squad player that's total bull, it will be a hard season and I wouldn't be surprised if we have to rotate a bit throughout the season. PB will want as many options as possible so would be surprised if he let's him go.

I don't get this right foot left foot bit. As professional footballers bit it shouldn't really matter. For example if you have a left footed CB and a right footed CB paired together, what happens when the ball approaches the space between the two of them? Do they both let it go because it's not on their good foot? of cause they don't because they can use the other one as well. Prosser has improved immeasurably since he first came to us, but Sokolik has so much more potential. If a swop was on I'd take it.

I'm with you on the footed bit. I can understand it if it was full-backs and wingers as they can run down the line and deliver a cross with their favoured foot, but for central defenders I can only think it would be best when playing long diagonal balls forward.

If we can upgrade on Prosser, then I think we should. In the game I saw Sokolik play this season, I thought he did ok and was a lot more comfortable on the ball than Prosser.

Once again like the Corr thread some absolute dross being posted. Prosser is plenty good enough for Lge 1 and as for being only a squad player that's total bull, it will be a hard season and I wouldn't be surprised if we have to rotate a bit throughout the season. PB will want as many options as possible so would be surprised if he let's him go.

I get the hard season bit OAA, and I agree with you, but do you think Phil would have him as first pick if the others are on their game? The tail end of last season doesn't suggest that. And more to the point do you think Luke would be happy waiting his chance again?

I get the hard season bit OAA, and I agree with you, but do you think Phil would have him as first pick if the others are on their game? The tail end of last season doesn't suggest that. And more to the point do you think Luke would be happy waiting his chance again?
1/ I don't think PB has a clue who his first choices are based on his dithering last season.
2/ I see little difference between Prosser, Bolger, Thompson in ability, they all have different qualities and faults so I see no clear first choice other than Barrett

Back