• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Come Home Adam Barrett

Just watching sky sport a certain ex Bolton manager is keen to get back into football

No. No no no no no no no. What is it with you and getting our ex players back. Has he been manager anywhere? Lessens learnt please from bond in that final respect.

Just seen the five candidates listed. Holloway would give us media attention at least. But Parkinson or Nolan would be preferable

Just seen the five candidates listed. Holloway would give us media attention at least. But Parkinson or Nolan would be preferable

Kevin Nolan was unfortunate in his two managerial roles, a dodgy regime at Orient and a club with serious problems in Notts County. On the downside, the Spammer connection would be a major irritation.

No. No no no no no no no. What is it with you and getting our ex players back. Has he been manager anywhere? Lessens learnt please from bond in that final respect.

For the 25,000th time. It is NOT just because he is an ex-player. It is NOT for nostalgic reasons. It is because he is exactly the personality, and has exactly the type of traits and qualities that we need right now.

Sorry but no, now is not the right time. Just think we need someone with more first team managerial experience. I wouldn’t be adverse to him returning as an assistant with a view to being a future manager of us.

You need to balance that argument with the fact that we could then print and sell a load of 'fist pumping ' mugs and SZ could cash in.:Smile:

For the 25,000th time. It is NOT just because he is an ex-player. It is NOT for nostalgic reasons. It is because he is exactly the personality, and has exactly the type of traits and qualities that we need right now.

The blokes never managed, how can you possibly know he has all the traits and qualities that we need right now as a manager?

I get the arguments for and against Barrett and I get the theory behind bringing in a guy with experience and not taking risks. However .. Chris Powell was not a totally inexperienced, untried manager. He ultimately failed but he did pretty well at first. I thought at the time it was a shrewd appointment by RM and I’d personally have given him more time last season as he was cursed with awful luck with injuries/form. You can’t compare him and Barrett, other than the “club legend” angle and I think actually SCP was worth the punt. Also, Sol Campbell keeps being mentioned .. is one season at Macclesfield, a league below, really deemed “experienced” whereas some are totally writing Barrett off? To me, experienced equals out of a job and why? Because they’re not good enough to be employed elsewhere ..

I agree with the Chris Powell bit, not the rest.
Campbell took a team that was dead and buried and not getting paid and kept them up.
Some pretty good managers aren't currently employed, just being out of a job doesn't make them bad. But it's almost never about good or bad, it's about a fit at a club at a time.

Horrible bloke. Some might say just what we need at the moment - but six games in and only three to go down this year from L1 I'd like to think we've got time to go for someone who can not only turn it around on the pitch but also a bit more charismatic to get the fans back on side too and the club buzzing again. Wouldn't be breaking my neck to get down to RH to watch one of PP's teams tbh. Seem to remember a lot of opposing managers holding grudges and having right spats with him on the touch line. Again, that might appeal to some - but not me. People think that a manager these days needs to be on the touch line, waving their arms, clashing with the other bench and showing what they call 'passion'. Thing is I don't ever remember seeing Dave Webb doing that - he often watched games from the Directors Box - and there hasn't been another manager in the 40+ years I've watched Blues that had the respect of players and fans than Webby - never mind the success.

This bit I agree with

The blokes never managed, how can you possibly know he has all the traits and qualities that we need right now as a manager?

Oh.....I always thought that having the ability to MANAGE people was a pretty good indicator?

Far too many people over-complicating this, having accused Kevin Bond of doing the same thing.

He has leadership skills. I don't care if he hasn't been a manager yet - leadership skills are leadership skills whether you're on the pitch, on the touchline or in the dressing room. I have had numerous reports from players who played with Barrett saying that he is a passionate leader who motivates and won't stand for it if you're not putting the effort in. He is charismatic and will get the players wanting to bust a gut for him. With the bad atmosphere, lack of effort and disjointedness running amock in that squad at the moment, yes......AB is exactly what we need.

Oh.....I always thought that having the ability to MANAGE people was a pretty good indicator?

Far too many people over-complicating this, having accused Kevin Bond of doing the same thing.

He has leadership skills. I don't care if he hasn't been a manager yet - leadership skills are leadership skills whether you're on the pitch, on the touchline or in the dressing room. I have had numerous reports from players who played with Barrett saying that he is a passionate leader who motivates and won't stand for it if you're not putting the effort in. He is charismatic and will get the players wanting to bust a gut for him. With the bad atmosphere, lack of effort and disjointedness running amock in that squad at the moment, yes......AB is exactly what we need.

Adam Barrett is absolutely a leader of men. I won’t say otherwise but leading players as a senior player or captain is totally different to having to make the decisions on a daily basis that a manager has to and that’s why I’d be hesitant to give the job to him right now. Right now isn’t the time to experiment. AB isn’t the man we need right now.

Heart says Adam B

Head says Phil Parkinson or Nigel Adkins

Maybe ‘head’ as No1 with ‘heart’ as no2 ? Could that work in reality?

Just no. Not the right time to get in a manager with no experience whoever it is.

Anyone know why Campbell left Macclesfield?

Horrible bloke. Some might say just what we need at the moment - but six games in and only three to go down this year from L1 I'd like to think we've got time to go for someone who can not only turn it around on the pitch but also a bit more charismatic to get the fans back on side too and the club buzzing again. Wouldn't be breaking my neck to get down to RH to watch one of PP's teams tbh. Seem to remember a lot of opposing managers holding grudges and having right spats with him on the touch line. Again, that might appeal to some - but not me. People think that a manager these days needs to be on the touch line, waving their arms, clashing with the other bench and showing what they call 'passion'. Thing is I don't ever remember seeing Dave Webb doing that - he often watched games from the Directors Box - and there hasn't been another manager in the 40+ years I've watched Blues that had the respect of players and fans than Webby - never mind the success.
They were terrified of him .

Anyone managed to get any Millwall fan's perspectives on Adam's coaching and managerial suitability?

Please don't get a ex-player or fans favorite. Almost 3 years of total drivel from the love children is enough. We are in deep do do and need a manager who can get the donkeys playing as a team. One thing is for sure at least Bond spent the game on his feet, unlike the previous fans favorite.

Whether Barrett could be the tactician we require is still there to be questioned but as a leader and motivator, he had all the skills. He took control in the changing room when Brown was being an arse and Brown recognised the respect Barrett commanded from the players, hence why he sacked him off

Parkinson over Barrett every day. Campbell might be an option too. Surely he's based in the London area? Or Michael Appleton.

....Appleton is a good shout!!
Had a good record at Oxford (win rate of 45%) anid had a very short spell at Leicester as no:2 to Craig Shakespeare.
He is now coaching the Under 23s at West Brom, and I feel he is selling him self short in this respect.

Back