• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Come Home Adam Barrett

Whether Barrett could be the tactician we require is still there to be questioned but as a leader and motivator, he had all the skills. He took control in the changing room when Brown was being an arse and Brown recognised the respect Barrett commanded from the players, hence why he sacked him off

Phil Brown felt hugely threatened by Adam Barrett. Barrett essentially managed the team on the day for the 3-1 home win against Millwall towards the beginning of 2016/17 when Brown decided to sulk all day.

I wouldn't mind seeing Barrett given the chance. It wouldn't really concern me regarding experience as I think that's when you would bring experience in to assist him.

Have heard rumours that suggest Barrett and Tilson had spoken to Ron about their availability for AB as manager and Tilly as no.2.

They would definitely get the fans on side and from what ex players have said would be popular with the players too.

Isn't it about time we had a young, hungry, up and coming manager who hasn't been tainted by previous managerial roles?

Phil Brown felt hugely threatened by Adam Barrett. Barrett essentially managed the team on the day for the 3-1 home win against Millwall towards the beginning of 2016/17 when Brown decided to sulk all day.

When people say Barrett doesn't have experience they're ignoring all the examples of this (as well as two and a half years alongside Neil Harris at Millwall).

Neil Harris: "He's been captain of every club he's played for since the age of 23"

Phil Brown: “He was probably a captain when he was in the cradle" and "Adam will always play as a captain whether he’s actually wearing the armband or not.”

He's been a leader, managing players, organising players, motivating players for the best part of two decades. The idea that he's not experienced enough is ridiculous and if you really think that's not enough then make sure he has an expereinced assistant alongside him

For the 25,000th time. It is NOT just because he is an ex-player. It is NOT for nostalgic reasons. It is because he is exactly the personality, and has exactly the type of traits and qualities that we need right now.
And he’s the only one who fits the bill? Really?

The amount of great captains and leaders there have been in football over years who have tried to go in to management and failed is the reason I am hesitant to want AB. Having to coach the team, set up tactics (I know they aren’t things he’d necessarily have to do by himself), pick the team, leave players out, buy players.. I know the only way to gain experience in these things is to just do it but the state we are in right now, we really can’t afford to have someone at the helm who would be learning on the job.

I agree with the Chris Powell bit, not the rest.
Campbell took a team that was dead and buried and not getting paid and kept them up.
Some pretty good managers aren't currently employed, just being out of a job doesn't make them bad. But it's almost never about good or bad, it's about a fit at a club at a time.
I just don’t see Sol Campbell as the messiah after one job in management and think he’s as much of a risk as Barrett. My point about out of work managers was maybe a bit harsh, but a lot of them *were* sacked for not being good enough elsewhere and it was in answer to those who seem to think bringing in an experienced name was some kind of guarantee. It isn’t. It could just as easily go spectacularly wrong. Look at Nathan Jones. Luton vs Stoke. What you said about a fit at a club at a time - perfect example. So why not Barrett for us, now?

What we all seem to forget is Ron is very capable of springing a surprise on us all.....Who saw the Kevin Bond appointment coming,how did that come about,anyone know the connection that brought him here.
Maybe we should be looking at the bookies 500 to 1 outsiders

Has David Livermore left Millwall? I'm not saying Barrett should or shouldn't be given the chance but I have seen pro-Barrett posts claiming him to have experience as Harris' number 2 / assisting Harris etc.

Has David Livermore left Millwall? I'm not saying Barrett should or shouldn't be given the chance but I have seen pro-Barrett posts claiming him to have experience as Harris' number 2 / assisting Harris etc.

First class post his title is Development coach to the first team unless AB has had a new role since joining

Whoever we get will get our support need to hit the ground hard and get the players playing I feel whoever it is has a good bunch of players just need to defend

First class post his title is Development coach to the first team unless AB has had a new role since joining
Thanks. I thought I had missed something. Just checked online and it seems Barrett is still first team coach and not asst. manager.

I just don’t see Sol Campbell as the messiah after one job in management and think he’s as much of a risk as Barrett. My point about out of work managers was maybe a bit harsh, but a lot of them *were* sacked for not being good enough elsewhere and it was in answer to those who seem to think bringing in an experienced name was some kind of guarantee. It isn’t. It could just as easily go spectacularly wrong. Look at Nathan Jones. Luton vs Stoke. What you said about a fit at a club at a time - perfect example. So why not Barrett for us, now?
Thanks.
I honestly have no idea whether Barrett is right or wrong for us. Lots of clubs in bad situations give guys a chance, from Coughlan to Campbell to Harris to Tilson. It might work, it might not. My point is more that just because someone got sacked from elsewhere doesn't mean they are useless, more than there are many reasons why it might not work out.
I'd love it to be Barrett. It always feels better when more employees at the club are fans and associated with the club over a long time rather than some randoms just turning up for work. Football is a job for them but not for us, I love it when that's true at the clubs as well. All I'm saying is I have no idea whether Barrett is the man

Thanks.
I honestly have no idea whether Barrett is right or wrong for us. Lots of clubs in bad situations give guys a chance, from Coughlan to Campbell to Harris to Tilson. It might work, it might not. My point is more that just because someone got sacked from elsewhere doesn't mean they are useless, more than there are many reasons why it might not work out.
I'd love it to be Barrett. It always feels better when more employees at the club are fans and associated with the club over a long time rather than some randoms just turning up for work. Football is a job for them but not for us, I love it when that's true at the clubs as well. All I'm saying is I have no idea whether Barrett is the man
Neither do I but I’d love him to be. Think we all just desperately want the next man to not fall flat on his face. Fingers and everything else crossed.

totally agree, so that's boring.
What is success? Can we ask for any more than just staying up?
This season, staying in league 1 will be a success. Mid table would be a phenomenal achievement. My 9 year old said to me when Bond resigned, “great now we can win the league”. Tad over optimistic but loved that. I think last season’s collapse and the start to this season has been so disappointing as this time last year, there were signs we could trouble the play offs. Think that’s why SCP got such a hard time but was it ever realistic to start with? Probably not but as football fans, we dream don’t we?

too soon for Barrett....in 5 or so years when hes had some first hand experience but we will only get stuck deeper in the mud i feel.

Back