• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I'd say stick it out for a bit longer as at the moment you're just going through the normal homesickness stage. It's the same as everyone else has said, first few months is the honeymoon period then after than reality kicks in that you're staying there longer than that, you're living there, making a life there etc. Once that really kicks in and you find friends out there who make you feel just as comfortable as the ones back in Englan then everything will click into place. Yes you'll still miss England - or at least the friends and family (and football) there - but it's worth it in the long run.

For me it's just got to the point where I could see myself staying out here longer than I planned to as I've made some really good friends and feel at home here. 2 months ago I was ready to pack it all in, including my degree, and just come home as I missed it so much. But then I went home at Christmas and when I came back to people who I knew I liked, liked me and I felt comfortable with then it was totally different. As much as I miss everyone in England (and I do - a lot) and the football, and some things about living out here annoy me (like constantly going on about my accent - although I suspect I'll miss that when I go home!) if I had the money I would be staying out here a little longer. The annoying thing for me is that I've started to feel like this recently (like the past month) and I now have only 6 weeks left!

So all in all, I would say stick with it for at the very least another 6 months. Find your home away from "home" and everything will click into place.

Typical indecisive woman then ;)

Andy, i'd echo some of the others here and say stick it out mate.

Speaking from my own experience, I felt unbelievably homesick for years - I missed Chelmsford, my friends, and the football a great deal - and disliked Ireland with a passion.

Over time, it has changed dramatically, and you couldn't pay me enough to move back now, although sometimes driving through Chelmsford on the bus to Southend matches gets to me a bit. IMO a trip home from Australia might do you good for a holiday, and when you get back to OZ afterwards you may feel differently: you'll have had your 'fix' of English life and culture for 2 weeks, and can move on. I find if you give yourself something to look forward to, like a holiday back to Essex every now and again (very difficult I know in your case), it eases the homesickness a lot.

Hope that makes some sort of sense mate. Keep going, and know there are plenty of us exiles here in the same boat always willing to talk you, and eachother through it.

Thanks for all your advice. I did say I wouldn't just go with what you said and it appears I'm going to ignore what everyone says and come home. My brother in law is getting married in August so we will stay here for that but looking at booking flights home at the beginning of September.

No definite decision made but looking very likely. When the flights have been definitely booked it will be a huge relief I'm sure.

If you are serious about staying why don't you look into working over here.When I graduated I got a years work visa school related. Then apply for your permanant residence as soon as you can.thats what I did and I am really happy i did.If you have any questions drop me a line on email or phone 905-815-8503 (home)or cell 416-886-8912

I'd say stick it out for a bit longer as at the moment you're just going through the normal homesickness stage. It's the same as everyone else has said, first few months is the honeymoon period then after than reality kicks in that you're staying there longer than that, you're living there, making a life there etc. Once that really kicks in and you find friends out there who make you feel just as comfortable as the ones back in Englan then everything will click into place. Yes you'll still miss England - or at least the friends and family (and football) there - but it's worth it in the long run.

For me it's just got to the point where I could see myself staying out here longer than I planned to as I've made some really good friends and feel at home here. 2 months ago I was ready to pack it all in, including my degree, and just come home as I missed it so much. But then I went home at Christmas and when I came back to people who I knew I liked, liked me and I felt comfortable with then it was totally different. As much as I miss everyone in England (and I do - a lot) and the football, and some things about living out here annoy me (like constantly going on about my accent - although I suspect I'll miss that when I go home!) if I had the money I would be staying out here a little longer. The annoying thing for me is that I've started to feel like this recently (like the past month) and I now have only 6 weeks left!

So all in all, I would say stick with it for at the very least another 6 months. Find your home away from "home" and everything will click into place.

Thanks for all your advice. I did say I wouldn't just go with what you said and it appears I'm going to ignore what everyone says and come home. My brother in law is getting married in August so we will stay here for that but looking at booking flights home at the beginning of September.

No definite decision made but looking very likely. When the flights have been definitely booked it will be a huge relief I'm sure.

Fair enough then, if you know deep down that coming home is what you want to do then you have to do it. At least you'll be able to look back on your time there and say you lived in Australia for nearly a year and had some really good times. At the end of the day it's an experience!

If you are serious about staying why don't you look into working over here.When I graduated I got a years work visa school related. Then apply for your permanant residence as soon as you can.thats what I did and I am really happy i did.If you have any questions drop me a line on email or phone 905-815-8503 (home)or cell 416-886-8912

That's very nice of you to offer help. However, I think you'd get stern words from my mum as she's looking forward to having me home! Moving out here might be something I look at doing in the future (especially as I heard that if you live abroad for 10 years your student loan is wiped clean!) but as much as I'm feeling comfortable here now, I'd only want to stay out maybe a month or 2 longer as I do miss home! Contradicting myself slightly maybe but I'm a woman, I'm allowed to be confusing!

That's very nice of you to offer help. However, I think you'd get stern words from my mum as she's looking forward to having me home! Moving out here might be something I look at doing in the future (especially as I heard that if you live abroad for 10 years your student loan is wiped clean!) but as much as I'm feeling comfortable here now, I'd only want to stay out maybe a month or 2 longer as I do miss home! Contradicting myself slightly maybe but I'm a woman, I'm allowed to be confusing!

Please tell me this is true!

I think sometimes if you are determined, no matter how hard you try there's no point in trying to carry on. You'll have been there about a year so you will have experienced it at least which is more than a lot of us have done. Best of luck with that.

Back