• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Winkle

Manager
The beloved switched on my P.C today and an error came up saying something like "A windows file is missing,system cannot start because of a corrupt file" or along thows lines. Any way it gave her the option to R to repair which she did and another menu came up giving her the option to resore which she did.It restored the P.C to todays date but almost every application. (word, outlook,excel,powerpoint and alot of others) have dissapeared.
They are in the menu bar but when i try to open them i get a message saying,(this action is only valid for products that are installed). This leads me to the conclusion that it has uninstalled them for some reason, but what I want to know is there away I can get them back as I have lost the original disk and had some very important E.Mails in outlook? Can anyone advise me?

Last edited:
The restore point (which is a feature of XP ). HAs just restored your settings to a basic type . essential the apps should be there . just go to C:\Program files\application name (say Microsoft\ office). If there are there you can re add the short cuts (basiclly copy the icon the starts it say Outlook would be outlook.exe ) and copy this to C:\documents and settings\ all users \start menu

If however it was your original restore disk (it came with the pc) it may have wiped everything .

Thanks chaps, I have indeed seem to have lost a lot of applications which is a right pain especially the E.Mails I had in outlook, so its a case of trying to go back and load it all on again. The thing is I can see alot of it still in c/drive but I think maybe alot of files have gone walkies so its back to square one. Does anyone know why my P.C done this? It hac never happened before and as been very good since I bought it, its just that I dont want it to happen again.

Thanks chaps, I have indeed seem to have lost a lot of applications which is a right pain especially the E.Mails I had in outlook, so its a case of trying to go back and load it all on again. The thing is I can see alot of it still in c/drive but I think maybe alot of files have gone walkies so its back to square one. Does anyone know why my P.C done this? It hac never happened before and as been very good since I bought it, its just that I dont want it to happen again.

Just a quick explanation but basiclly. Harddrives have manetic strips on the metal plates called platers , and head reads this at very fast speeds . However damage or misreads can occure so when it happens and its an important file (like a system32 file saythat boots up your pc ;) ) Windows will stop working.

Before you do anything drastic i would do a search for Outlook.exe and run it . (or a file called default.ost or outlook.ost) if you find the ost file this can be reopened if you reinstall Outlook ;)

Just a quick explanation but basiclly. Harddrives have manetic strips on the metal plates called platers , and head reads this at very fast speeds . However damage or misreads can occure so when it happens and its an important file (like a system32 file saythat boots up your pc ;) ) Windows will stop working.

Before you do anything drastic i would do a search for Outlook.exe and run it . (or a file called default.ost or outlook.ost) if you find the ost file this can be reopened if you reinstall Outlook ;)

oooo ark at her :p

I have found Microsoft office version on c/drive and it does all seem there except for a setup exe or run exe, any thoughts?

is it the installed version? all the apps have seperate .exe files like winword.exe etc.
Yes it is a installed version,are you saying that there is no exe file? I am searching on the net for a exe file so I can try and install it again!

If they are all there you will not need to run install again

Go to any of the MS office programs ie excel.exe and double click it

If Excel starts up then its only your shortcuts you will need to recreate

Yes it is a installed version,are you saying that there is no exe file? I am searching on the net for a exe file so I can try and install it again!

Exes are

Outlook.exe
winword.exe
Excel.exe

all should be in C:\program files\Microsoft office\Office(either 10 or 11 )

I should charge for this !

And yes OO is better its not bloated , rarely crashes and is free :D

Exes are

Outlook.exe
winword.exe
Excel.exe

all should be in C:\program files\Microsoft office\Office(either 10 or 11 )

I should charge for this !

And yes OO is better its not bloated , rarely crashes and is free :D

I have been through every file and folder in (10 & 11) and there is not Outlook.exe
winword.exe
Excel.exe
in anyone one of them, think this means I am donald ducked!

I have been through every file and folder in (10 & 11) and there is not Outlook.exe
winword.exe
Excel.exe
in anyone one of them, think this means I am donald ducked!

Is there just an Office folder. Office 10 and/or 11 usually contain DLL's etc

Is there just an Office folder. Office 10 and/or 11 usually contain DLL's etc

Yep there is an office folder, but no exe files in there. This problem seems to have not onlly affected my microsoft stuff but quite a number of other applications,(internet, nero, itunes,) all my security spyware, defender so norton everything.

Back