• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Condolences Book

The scary thing is Ron Martin wouldn't know a decent football manager if one headbutted him in the face (if only!). Thanks for tainting my memories of Lincoln, Manchester United, Wycombe.

Please don't let today taint those great memories - they are all part of our history and hopefully we will have more good ones in the future.

As I've said elsewhere, I'm an Orient fan on the board of our Supporters' Trust, and a Southend resident for over 40 years.

I know what you're going through. I saw my club go from the brink of the Championship to non-league in 3 years, through the most cack-handed and incompetent ownership possible ever in English professional football. I have every sympathy and empathy for what you're all feeling tonight.

From the outside, this has been coming for years. Your owner has been robbing Peter to pay Paul, Paul to pay Fred and Fred to pay Peter, in the hope that a new stadium would pay them all. Sooner or later, the debts were going to lead to an inability to recruit a League team, and last summer was that time. Anyone pointing fingers at previous managers and players for relegation to the National League is, in my honest opinion, making the same mistake some O's fans made in standing up for Becchetti even as we descended into farce and non-payment of staff. The rot starts from the top.

Whatever anger and sadness you feel tonight, bottle it and direct it at the owner at the first available opportunity. You haven't had a well-run football club for a long time.
Summed it up nicely.

Posted elsewhere but feels more appropriate here.

Well you did it Ronald. 101 years. A whole damn century. But after decades of neglect and taking your eye off the ball you've steered your ship onto the rocks and out of the league.

He'll say he's hurting. He'll blame MM. No doubt he'll throw PB under the bus too if he goes. But he sure as hell won't blame himself or take any responsibility for his mismanagement.

Players and managers come and go, but old Ronnie has been the one constant throughout this slow car crash of existence and we've paid the ultimate price as fans.

This is on Ronnie.

Please don't let today taint those great memories - they are all part of our history and hopefully we will have more good ones in the future.
And this is why we don’t want a Phoenix club and retain SUFC

Upset and sad. In 51 years of following the "Shrimpers" never dreamed we would be in this position. I apologize to all on here that I considered "doom and gloom" fans , who after last season said we would be getting relegated again. You were right and probably knew more about what was going on than me. Have some great memories over many season watching games home and away. The club can still count on my support. I'll be back for the first game of the season. Have missed not coming back to England on a regular basis. A lot of big ex -league
clubs in the NL with big stadiums, away to Notts County, Stockport, Halifax and many more will feel like a EFL L2 game. Hope the plummet has stopped and it's onwards and upwards from here.

Not even sad tbh. Writing was on the wall at the end of last season, more amazed we made it to game 45.
Up to Ron now as to whether the slashing of the budget continues or he starts giving a **** about the football side again.
Personally I don't see us back in the Football League for at least 5-10 years.

Look at the National league and see the teams that we have played over the years. Now is not the time to be sad or waste time blaming the people that have ruined our club now is the time to force change and support the club. Owners and managers will come and go but die hard supporters will always remain, Let’s support our club wherever it may be and get behind the people that want change. I have supported this club for 57 years it doesn’t matter what league were in, if position worried me I would have chosen West Ham and avoided 57 years of ridicule and **** taking. I was born Southend and I will die southend.

Looking forward to winning games and challenging for a title! Was getting bored playing the same old league clubs season after season! This will finally give ron the kick up the *** he needs!!

If I thought for one moment it would only be for one season and then we would bounce back up then I could probably take that but, there is no certainty we will and National League can be very tough.
We HAVE TO PLAN NOW not tomorrow, not next week or next month but now if we have any chance of coming back up

The only way i can put this absolutely devastating day into words, is like knowing a close family member has a terminal illness.
You know the inevitable is going to happen, & attempt to prepare yourself for that day.
But when that day occurs, your cold, stunned, & still cant believe it happened.
So many memories, adventures, miles travelled, friendships made over the last 54 years, unreal!.
So now we find ourselves in unchartered waters, just hope we are able to stay on the surface, & not struggle in mid water, or even worse.

The tragedy has happened. All we needed was to finish 22nd in the lowest division of the EFL and we couldn't achieve it, shameful really. The main reason for our demise is Ron Martin not bringing someone with finance into the club. He has been ducking and diving financially for years going way back to the end of Tillys reign. Winding up orders, embargoes, players and other club staff not paid on time, a list of creditors as long as Southend Pier. A classic example of running an underfunded business resulting in cash flow problems.
The above is where the main problem lies. A CEO will only make a minor difference. Although Ron is critized for his managerial appointments, which club has always got this right? Every season over half of the 92 managers are fired! A new CEO could make a similar mistake if involved in recruitment. Until extra finance is introduced the same problems will be there. Hopefully somehow he can persuade PB that there is some sort of budget available and that Phil Brown will take on the task of turning things round. Where this magical money tree is, is anyone's guess though.

The Faithful Fan's Song (with apologies to Amy Wadge)

Shrimpers.....over 61 years
I gave you all that you needed
You cut but I'm bleeding
And all of my strength that I gave to you
I loved completely
You lose then you leave me
And all of my hope
Left with you too

But I gave my heart whole I did
I gave my heart
And although it's lost
It is still beating