• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Whose contract would you renew?

• Total voters

manor15

Super Moderator⭐⭐
Staff member
Quite interesting reading to see how many of our players contracts are up in the summer, last summer it was probably a similar number but not quite as many important players, the likes of Timlin, Corr, etc. so who would you give a new contract?

In goal, there's Paul Smith. Think that will largely depend on if we expect Dan to go, if he's off then can see PS getting a new contract as insurance, but would like to think Brown already has some targets lined up for his replacement and that won't be necessary.

In defence, John White will surely have a renewal, Luke Prosser has a clause for another year which I would expect us to activate. Adam Barrett will probably have to just show he's still fit enough and good enough before he gets an extension, that's provided he wants to play another season. That leaves Thompson and Ibendfelt, the latter of which has an option for another year. I can't see us activating that but more through his bad luck with injuries meaning we've brought in other cover, that could depend on Barrett. I'm guessing Thompson is also likely to have his renewed.

In midfield, there is obviously Deegan whose contract expires soon but Brown says a new deal is close. Then there is Timlin, who I would hope gets an extension, Atkinson, and Bridge, who has a clause for extension. I'm guessing Bridge will get that extended but Atkinson I'm unsure, he may have to get a run in the team before the end of the season or rely on being a Brown favourite, he's a good player but we have more than enough midfielders.

Up front, Jason Williams has an option for extension which I assume we'll take up, leaving Corr and Barnard. I think Barney will be off then if not before, clearly doesn't work with Brown, and Corr will get a new contract if his back and knees are up to it.

I haven't included the transfer listed players as it's clear Brown wants rid, before their contract if expire if possible.

Can't see Barrett, Ibenfeldt, Williams, Barnard being renewed irrespective.
Apart from that, completely depends on the league we're in. For instance could Deegan and Prosser operate a division higher?
The interesting thing from the Chairman's perspective is there's the potential to re-shape the squad and team here. I think we could be in a Sturrock / Brown situation where if we aren't in the promotion mix, the manager gets changed with 10 games to go, giving the new bloke time to assess his personnel.

Would really like to see Mads get another year but doubt he will. Gutted he got injured because I think given a run of games, he would become a fans favourite

It all depends on what division we are in. Many of the current squad would not make much impact in division one. Adam Barrett is the best centre back we have but we would need better at the next level.

Can't see Barrett, Ibenfeldt, Williams, Barnard being renewed irrespective.
Apart from that, completely depends on the league we're in. For instance could Deegan and Prosser operate a division higher?
The interesting thing from the Chairman's perspective is there's the potential to re-shape the squad and team here. I think we could be in a Sturrock / Brown situation where if we aren't in the promotion mix, the manager gets changed with 10 games to go, giving the new bloke time to assess his personnel.

I think Prosser and Deegan could both do a job a league above - it's not the chasm of going to the championship. The one thing you can't accuse Martin of is changing the manager willy nilly so I would expect Brown to be here regardless.

Started discussing this on the main contracts thread. These are the ones I think will definitely go - Ibenfeldt, Atkinson, Corr and Barnard for me. Possibly Smith, depending on the GK situation, not sure about Barrett. I would definitely keep White and Timlin, and I think Prosser has an option on his for another year, so I'd take that up. I really like Jack Bridge too but can't see him being kept.

I'd like to see Ibenfeldt given another year but I fear he'll be this years Julian Bennett.

All depends on if we go up or not.

Started discussing this on the main contracts thread. These are the ones I think will definitely go - Ibenfeldt, Atkinson, Corr and Barnard for me. Possibly Smith, depending on the GK situation, not sure about Barrett. I would definitely keep White and Timlin, and I think Prosser has an option on his for another year, so I'd take that up. I really like Jack Bridge too but can't see him being kept.

Barry Corr goes I go

Barry Corr goes I go

Well, he (Barry) has to go at some point ......... just like Goater etcetera.

I think he (Barry) is worth another year but perhaps it is best to go out on a high ....... and this could be the last season where Barry gets to play a full and pivotal role for us. I shall still miss him when he goes.

Are Corr & Prosser the only one's left from Sturrock's original dragged-together squad from four & a half years ago? Can't think of any others..

Are Corr & Prosser the only one's left from Sturrock's original dragged-together squad from four & a half years ago? Can't think of any others..

Yes, these two. As DWB says, Timlin came in following Easton's departure. Lenny came in pre-season at the start of the 2nd season.

So, currently Timlin leads the voting as the player we would most like to sign another contract. Why do I get the feeling that view is not shared by Phil? I really do hope I'm being silly here...............but there again I rated Laird highly as well:unsure:

Back