• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Coronavirus (Non-Politics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can’t remember the last time I went into a branch, but from memory, don’t they all have the plexiglass windows separating the teller & the customer?

With correct social distancing measures, I’m struggling to see why a face mask would be required in a bank, to begin with.

It's an enclosed space in which the virus is said to spread more easily.

FWIW,I last went to my local branch of la Caixa in March to renew my libretta (bankbook) which isn't possible to do online (where I normally do my banking) or via the hole in the wall.The only person there,not sitting behind a plexiglass window was clearly terrified about having to deal with a real live customer.

It's an enclosed space in which the virus is said to spread more easily.

Aren’t most places of work?

Taxi drivers, retail shops, newsagents, hairdressers, restaurants, pubs.

There needs to be a clear and concise rule, that if one does it, then they should all do it, no?

What good is it, if I’m all kitted up in Santander, before strolling on down to la taberna for an Alhambra Gran Reserva fuelled liquid lunch (and some patatas bravas), with no ppe?

Well if we wanted proof if a second wave or spike in the virus will follow ...... thanks to a minority of complete idiots on the streets and beaches we are going to find out.All the sacrifices made by the medical ,care services etc thrown back in their faces.At such a critical time too for the restart of the economy which will affect people's lives and health if we have to go backwards in lock downs.
If the stats don't go up then the so called experts have a lot of explaining to do
Outside activities like going to the beach and walking down the street will be the lowest risk activities - it wouldn't surprise me if this didn't cause much of an impact.

1.Aren’t most places of work?

Taxi drivers, retail shops, newsagents, hairdressers, restaurants, pubs.

2.There needs to be a clear and concise rule, that if one does it, then they should all do it, no?

3.What good is it, if I’m all kitted up in Santander, before strolling on down to la taberna for an Alhambra Gran Reserva fuelled liquid lunch (and some patatas bravas), with no ppe?

1.Yes.As far as I'm aware if I accept any work with the British Council over the summer or with the LFB from late September I'll have to wear a face mask to do my job.

2.I agree .Face masks should be made obligatory on all public transport and in all enclosed places,IMO.

3.I had a meal at our local restaurant in SC-for the first time in almost 3 months earlier today-we were obliged (correctly IMO) to wear masks on entering and leaving (not while sitting at our table to eat).

I'll test your tapas theory on Wed.when my wife wants to celebrate her birthday with some tapas at an open air restaurant in Castelldefels that we often use. :Winking:

I had a meal at our local restaurant in SC-for the first time in almost 3 months earlier today-we were obliged (correctly IMO) to wear masks on entering and leaving (not while sitting at our table to eat).

As you know, I have a genuine love for España, so I’m actually curious about the protocols around the reopening of the place. Was there a queue to get in the restaurant? What capacity was the restaurant operating at? Were the servers wearing masks? Were the tables situated 2m away from one another? Any price increase?

I'll test your tapas theory on Wed.when my wife wants to celebrate her birthday with some tapas at an open air restaurant in Castelldefels that we often use. :Winking:

Ahh some delicious tapas & a cold Alhambra whilst looking out over the Mar Mediterráneo would go down a treat right about now. Hopefully those thunderstorms forecasted for next week won’t cause a problem.

As you know, I have a genuine love for España, so I’m actually curious about the protocols around the reopening of the place. 1.Was there a queue to get in the restaurant? 2.What capacity was the restaurant operating at? 3.Were the servers wearing masks? 4.Were the tables situated 2m away from one another? 5..Any price increase?

Ahh some delicious tapas & a cold Alhambra whilst looking out over the Mar Mediterráneo would go down a treat right about now. Hopefully those thunderstorms forecasted for next week won’t cause a problem.

BTW,those open-air snackbars/restaurants by the beach are called "chiringuitos" in Spanish Useful word to remember. The Barcelonetta area in Barna (where the Arts Hotel/Mafra buillding,Hospital del Mar are now, used to be full of them pre the 1992 Olympics here.Wonderful places to go for excellent (and cheap) seafood.Unfortunately,none of them had planning permission and most were pulled down in the name of progress.

Weather's been a bit iffy here so far this week but it's glorious outside atm.

1.No queue.

2.Fewer people than at a normal lunchtime pre-lockdown but it was the first day they'd been able to open indoors.I'd say the capacity was about 40%/50% of normal.

3.Yes

4.The tables outside yes not inside.

5.No.

(Remember SC is not a tourist town and the restaurant we usually go to weekly is reasonably far from the centre,anyway Only locals would use it.I've only once heard anyone speaking English there-a couple of (rather posh) middle aged ladies,probably staying with friends locally- (They were amazed when we bowled up near them to eat at 2pm while they were still enjoying their liquid lunch).

PS .If you know Santander, (which I like,) I hope you've also visited San Sebastian? (where I worked for a year back in the early 80's).It's nowhere near as cheap and cheerful but it's certainly an interesting place to visit/spend some time in.

Inicidentally, on the rather vexed topic of schools re-opening,I was talking to our neighbour's young adult daughter yesterday,back to visit on her mum's birhtday. -who works as a nursery school assistant, out in the sticks.She's been back a week now (nursery schools in Barna aren't due to re-open until the 15th June).She says that things are going well but numbers are reduced,obviously.

Last edited:
I find it interesting that they are happy to admit in these charts that there are false negative tests results but they seem to assume there are no false positives. Most of the tests have at least a 10% false positive rate
Clearly false positives aren’t as big an issue as false negatives - unnecessary treatment in patients without COVID is not likely to be an issue, but behaviour change from people who think they’ve had it and then act as if immune may be.

Plus accurate estimates of false positives are difficult when we’re still looking at a relatively small prevalence of the virus in the population

BTW,those open-air snackbars/restaurants by the beach are called "chiringuitos" in Spanish Useful word to remember. The Barcelonetta area in Barna (where the Arts Hotel/Mafra buillding,Hospital del Mar are now, used to be full of them pre the 1992 Olympics here.Wonderful places to go for excellent (and cheap) seafood.Unfortunately,none of them had planning permission and most were pulled down in the name of progress.

Weather's been a bit iffy here so far this week but it's glorious outside atm.

1.No queue.

2.Fewer people than at a normal lunchtime pre-lockdown but it was the first day they'd been able to open indoors.I'd say the capacity was about 40%/50% of normal.

3.Yes

4.The tables outside yes not inside.

5.No.

(Remember SC is not a tourist town and the restaurant we usually go to weekly is reasonably far from the centre,anyway Only locals would use it.I've only once heard anyone speaking English there-a couple of (rather posh) middle aged ladies,probably staying with friends locally- (They were amazed when we bowled up near them to eat at 2pm while they were still enjoying their liquid lunch).

PS .If you know Santander, (which I like,) I hope you've also visited San Sebastian? (where I worked for a year back in the early 80's).It's nowhere near as cheap and cheerful but it's certainly an interesting place to visit/spend some time in.

Inicidentally, on the rather vexed topic of schools re-opening,I was talking to our neighbour's young adult daughter yesterday,back to visit on her mum's birhtday. -who works as a nursery school assistant, out in the sticks.She's been back a week now (nursery schools in Barna aren't due to re-open until the 15th June).She says that things are going well but numbers are reduced,obviously.
San Sebastián. What a beautiful place and basque tapas culture at it’s best. A short trip down the coast to Bilbao for some incomprehensible contemporary art at the Guggenheim as well !

The BBC is reporting today that waiting lists for treatment could hit 10 million. The long term effect of this is scary, and the possible death toll could easily outweigh anything from covid 19. The profession I'm involved with (dentistry) has seen recommendations to our operating procedures that will cut the amount of patients seen by two thirds. It will be its nature restrict certain types of preventative treatments as well. We could see dentistry pushed back to the level it was fifty years ago. This could be the last knockings for NHS dentistry in this country. I don't think we will know the true cost and impact of this virus for another year but the picture could be very different from today.

I believe all industries will be hit,services such as Nursing, Police, Fire Services all ready underfunded will suffer even more, shopping centres will be further ghost towns

Working from home for many may be the death of offices,therefore more empty buildings and no rent/rates for many Landlords and again empty towns/Industrial areas

Even football like Southend ,brand new stadium but if people have to choose between a game of football and family needs, then only one winner

The next few years will be a test for all, as the Covid 19 after effects will be felt on a scale we could not imagine 6 months ago, whether we have the capacity to absorb these costs is another thing, but I hope the community help which has been shown over the last 10 weeks can continue, always be a minority who grab the news and make headlines

I myself am one of those that bitch when spat at on a job, or cars stop and stare hoping to see a body dragged out,but that is adrenaline and once sitting back realise there are more people willing to help and obey the rules

Keep the community spirit and help others where we can

Chief medical officers have just announced they're happy for the alert level to be changed from 4 to 3. Guessing a change in restrictions goes along with that.

Looking at the positive test data downloaded from https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/ it looks like we might be at an inflection point nationally. Taking a rolling 7 day total to eliminate weekend bias, and assuming some increases to the last couple of days as test results get reported, looks like numbers will be starting to increase. Filtering the data to just Essex, Thurrock and Southend there is a clear increase in the number of positive tests over the past 2 weeks. Not clear to me if this is the virus increasing or due to number of tests increasing. Anyone know where you can get comparable number of test data?

Looking at the positive test data downloaded from https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/ it looks like we might be at an inflection point nationally. Taking a rolling 7 day total to eliminate weekend bias, and assuming some increases to the last couple of days as test results get reported, looks like numbers will be starting to increase. Filtering the data to just Essex, Thurrock and Southend there is a clear increase in the number of positive tests over the past 2 weeks. Not clear to me if this is the virus increasing or due to number of tests increasing. Anyone know where you can get comparable number of test data?
I believe we haven't published any testing data for something like 28 days. Make of that what you will.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back