• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Coronavirus (Non-Politics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would love all supermarkets to shut!
Furlough all staff and we all rely on deliveries!
My wife puts herself at risk every day!
Let's have a proper lockdown! I work in construction so I'm ****ing immune apparently.

As we are in estate agency.....and we have staff going into strangers' houses on a daily basis!

I do kind of get what Sean Dyche was saying, but while front line staff remain unvaccinated (Kev and many of the ambulance staff he works with are still waiting for theirs), that would be a really unpopular move.

I don't know about anyone else, but I've noticed a significant lack of colds and coughs about this year - trouble is, every time you DO feel a tickle in your throat you always think "Have I got it!?"

I don't know about anyone else, but I've noticed a significant lack of colds and coughs about this year - trouble is, every time you DO feel a tickle in your throat you always think "Have I got it!?"

Good point Kay, I haven’t known anyone to have a cold in ages.

I guess it can only be put down to people’s habits changing so drastically, such as mask wearing, keeping a distance from others etc.

I’ve also noticed people spitting on the floor seems to have stopped.

As we are in estate agency.....and we have staff going into strangers' houses on a daily basis!

I do kind of get what Sean Dyche was saying, but while front line staff remain unvaccinated (Kev and many of the ambulance staff he works with are still waiting for theirs), that would be a really unpopular move.

I was reading about how flu cases aren't very high this year. As well as the precautions you mentioned, they also think maybe Covid is crowding out the flu, apparently it is harder to be infected by 2 viruses at the same time. Maybe similar for the common cold as well.

I can't find that actual article, but a google search has brought this up from a few months ago

Today.
A concerning new strain of coronavirus is likely to already be in the UK despite the Government imposing a travel ban from affected countries, a leading epidemiologist has warned.

Professor John Edmunds, a member of the Government’s Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage), said he would find it “unusual” if the second of two new variants from Brazil was not already present, despite it not yet being detected.

I have a cold. And I know it’s not COVID as I tested negative yesterday. (Asymptomatic tests in Kent are free)- runny noses are not symptoms before anyone asks

Today.
A concerning new strain of coronavirus is likely to already be in the UK despite the Government imposing a travel ban from affected countries, a leading epidemiologist has warned.

Professor John Edmunds, a member of the Government’s Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage), said he would find it “unusual” if the second of two new variants from Brazil was not already present, despite it not yet being detected.

Yes, I heard this, this morning. Not great is it, lets just hope the vaccine protects against it.

Interesting that they've been banging on about the Brazilian strain of the virus (as well as the English and South African varieties) on the MSM (ie the 7/8 o' clock news ) here in France all this week.

Today France goes into a 6 pm curfew (until 6am) for the next fortnight.They're certainly taking the various strains of the virus seriously enough.All bars & restaurants are shut (open at mid-day in Spain) and masks in the street (as in Spain) have been compulsory for some time now,

Interesting that they've been banging on about the Brazilian strain of the virus (as well as the English and South African varieties) on the MSM (ie the 7/8 o' clock news ) here in France all this week.

Today France goes into a 6 pm curfew (until 6am) for the next fortnight.They're certainly taking the various strains of the virus seriously enough.All bars & restaurants are shut (open at mid-day in Spain) and masks in the street (as in Spain) have been compulsory for some time now,

I have a terrible fealing, with these new strains, things are going to go pear shaped, more so than they're all ready are.

These new variants are why we need to really focus on getting the community spread as low as possible. Variants emerge due to chance mutations and then become dominant through spread in the population. Get cases right down and you reduce the risk of more serious variants emerging.

I have a cold. And I know it’s not COVID as I tested negative yesterday. (Asymptomatic tests in Kent are free)- runny noses are not symptoms before anyone asks
Yeah, runny noses and sneezing are very rare symptoms for Covid apparently. I had a nasty cold just before Christmas, though I do notice there’s less sniffing and nose blowing going on generally.

I guess it can only be put down to people’s habits changing so drastically, such as mask wearing, keeping a distance from others etc.

Good something that should be punishable by death! I watched that Manchester City thing on Prime and Delph is a dirty ****! He kept spitting on the floor in their changing room. Disgusting habit!

These new variants are why we need to really focus on getting the community spread as low as possible. Variants emerge due to chance mutations and then become dominant through spread in the population. Get cases right down and you reduce the risk of more serious variants emerging.

Personally, I'm optimistic that the current vaccines will be adequate (for this year at least).I agree with your first (and last) points though.

Last edited:
@Pubey is right in his whole post, nevertheless like you I’m optimistic that the current vaccines will work for this year @Tangled up in Blue . However, this new coronavirus is here to stay just like all the others (colds and flu). We’ll probably need a jab each year, along with our flu jab, going forward. You’ll just go for two instead of one (or possibly a combi jab). For that to be true of this year then we need global infections to reduce as much as possible because that limits the volume and velocity of mutations. Sadly we might be ok here but to vaccinate the world is going to take some time, and while that’s incomplete there will be more scope for a greater number of further mutations and that those may reach the UK and bypass the current vaccines.

Also we have seen very little if any Noro-virus this year too and it is normally quite high in the care home population. I guess it’s the increased awareness and implementation of hand washing

I had to pop to Halfords and Pets at Home near me for some essentials. Halfords didn’t seem bothered about how many people went in whereas Pets at Home had a limit and if two people who going in together they would ask one to stay outside.

It was quite quiet, but this was just on opening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back