• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Cost of living increases

20% Pay rise, they're having a laugh.

They don't get my support at all.

When they were offered 3% by the Gov, I was in full support of them because that was taking the Biscuit, now they're taking the Biscuit.
Are you for or against taking the biscuit?

The premise of a simple % pay rise for nurses and NHS (and other jobs) workers is, imo, wrong, be it 3 or 20%.
Especially when championed as a cost of living claim.
More valid would be a wage rise across the board of a set amount, maybe £2k?
That way the leveling out would be done with the lowest paid getting a much higher, much needed % rise over those getting paid much higher already.

Fords got,iirc, 14% this year on 2nd part of old deal which was made based on low inflation expectations. Fords got it wrong and workers got better deal than believed likely when set.

RR are making lots of profit atm.

Fords got,iirc, 14% this year on 2nd part of old deal which was made based on low inflation expectations. Fords got it wrong and workers got better deal than believed likely when set.

RR are making lots of profit atm.

Some good pay increases in the Private sector for sure.

The thing is the government ( taxpayer) are paying these rates plus more in agency staff already. If they paid them a decent wage they would save that in not having to pay agency staff. Nurses are leaving in high numbers and not being replaced, the system now is barely functioning. Paying people crap money is hardly an enticement to becoming a nurse.

I asked first.

Not at all.

They will never get that, maybe half with the pressure.

The Army got 4% and they cover all these arseholes all the time.

How about a campain for Soldiers to get a 100% increase in wages, I'd support that and they deserve it.

They are the worst paid Gov workers in the Country.

Last edited:
Not at all.

How about a campain for Soldiers to get a 100% increase in wages, I'd support that and they deserve it.

Why 100%? Not aware that the army is going to cover the nurses or has the ability to do so. Not sure about the army being the lowest paid either, most council jobs are pretty badly paid. Although I read that they have just recieved 10.5%

Why 100%? Not aware that the army is going to cover the nurses or has the ability to do so. Not sure about the army being the lowest paid either, most council jobs are pretty badly paid. Although I read that they have just recieved 10.5%

look up the pay bands a private is on (20k) a year and has to pay for her/his food and accommodation, boot and Brase Polish. This is a typical Civilian comment who knows nothing about the British Army.

They're very underpaid.

The Army covers everyone who goes on strike.

Quite frankly I'm shocked that someone has questioned they don't deserve more.

Last edited:
Not at all.

I'm not justifying a 20% increase (I'm sure the Nurses might be able - maybe they've had below inflation pay rises fo for a number of years, so there's an element of catch up). But I think they're quite justified in asking for it, as the opening round in negotiations. Let's face it if you want 20% you wouldn't go into negotiations and ask for 20% straight up, you'd start higher.

Just because another area of Govt workers have received a lower % rise, doesn't mean another area has to - that's a race to the bottom which would have employers rubbing their hands in glee. If workers cannot get a decent pay rise in the current conditions of high inflation and a shortage of workers then they never will.

I'm not justifying a 20% increase (I'm sure the Nurses might be able - maybe they've had below inflation pay rises fo for a number of years, so there's an element of catch up). But I think they're quite justified in asking for it, as the opening round in negotiations. Let's face it if you want 20% you wouldn't go into negotiations and ask for 20% straight up, you'd start higher.

Just because another area of Govt workers have received a lower % rise, doesn't mean another area has to - that's a race to the bottom which would have employers rubbing their hands in glee. If workers cannot get a decent pay rise in the current conditions of high inflation and a shortage of workers then they never will.

You youngers have got to pay for it, not me, I have about 20 years left in me, good luck with that :)

Back